Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over clocking an oldy 9200

• 04-06-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys,

Just a heads up, I'm a noob to overclocking.

I have an old Dell Dimension 9200.

I'm Currently running the q6600 2.4ghz.

Have 8gb of ddr2 ram and a 9600gt. (soon to be a 750ti)

I'm looking into overclocking the q6600

My main question is, how hard would it be to overclock this old chip on a dell pc?

Would i be able to get any noticeable performance from it?

Thank you for all your help in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

Limited options with those motherboards I believe , you can pin mod the CPU
    http://alumar.hubpages.com/hub/Get-more-from-your-Quad-Core-Q6600

but google is your friend when confirming whether this will work with that particular motherboard .

Should take your CPU from 2.4GHz to 3.0Ghz approx. You may notice a difference in certain application. Really depends on what you are using it for. Remember to Hover out and clean up your heat since. More GHZ means More Heat . get new thermal paste.
    even look into getting a newer heatsink for the system if that is possible. And what every you do be careful ,last thing you want to do kill your motherboard :D

Another upgrade to consider if you don't have it done already is SSD drive. Makes the biggest difference off all .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ibDennis

Cheers Joeface:-)

That doesn't look too hard to do, I have all the required tools:-D.

I Was contemplating the SSD, get a 250gb for the os. Would be sweet if I coud get that to run on a dimension 9200

Advertisement