Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Door to Door Salesmen called four times this afternoon.

Options
  • 04-06-2014 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My doorbell was rung on four different occasions by two different ESB door to door salesmen today.

The first two were about half an hour apart. I didn't answer them because I was busy doing other things.

The third was approximately half an hour later again. This time I answered and told the salesman that I felt three calls to my door over the space of an hour and half was inappropriate and certain people living alone might feel harrassed by that.

INCREDIBLY an hour later another ESB salesman rang my doorbell to try his sales pitch!!! I told him that four calls to my door in an afternoon was completely inappropriate and that I had already explained this to his colleague.

To be fair to both salesmen they apologised.

I would appreciate if one of the sales reps here contacted me directly and I would also like the following information posted on this thread:

1a. Do these door to door sales people work directly for ESB or are they working for another company?
    1b. If so what is the name of this other company?

2. Do ESB have guidelines on how often to approach a house particularly if the door is not answered?

3. Do ESB have a process in place where one can opt of receiving door to door salesmen.

I think this sort of sales "technique" borders on harrassment and were I of a nervous disposition it would make me feel uncomfortable in my own home. Some of my neighbours are elderly and living alone and I would very much hope that the same techniques were not employed against them but I assume they were.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

P.S. Sorry I should have written "Electric Ireland" everywhere I said ESB .... old habits die hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Drift,

We're very sorry to read of your unhappiness with your customer experience.

We will be back to you tomorrow morning as early as possible.

In the meantime, if you would like to let us know what area you are living in by PM, we can escalate the details.

Kind regards,
    Una

PM now sent.

I'd appreciate if you could let me know on this thread regarding the "Opt out" procedures and the name of the company involved as well as the standard practice for unanswered doors.

Thanks.

Hi,

Any updates/answers to my queries?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Just curious, but how did you know the first two were ESB salesmen if you never answered the door??

• Advertisement

I could see him out the window!

Hi there,

I'd like an update if possible please. It has been almost a week.

1. How does an individual place themselves on an opt out list for this type of direct sales?
    (I was offered this by pm but I would like to know how a non-boards "man on the street" should go about it. It would be helpful to have this information available to the public.)

2. Were these Electric Ireland employees or employees of some other company?

3. What are the Electric Ireland (or other company) guidelines regarding how these agents should conduct themselves?

It looks a little bit like I'm being ignored here.

Hi Drift,

Sorry about the delay - we would like to assure you we have not forgotten about you and will advise ASAP.

Regards,
    Una

Hi again Drift,

In response to your query:

These field sales agents represent Electric Ireland and are employed via FMI. 

Electric Ireland adheres to the CER's marketing code of practice. If a customer wishes to opt out of all forms of marketing, including field sales, they can do so by contacting Electric Ireland directly.  

If a door is not answered, an agent is likely to assume that no-one is home at present and will knock back at a later stage in the day. A second agent should not have called to your door, and once again we would like to apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

Kind regards,
    Una

Thank you for your reply Una,

I would appreciate if you could pass on my comments regarding their employees' behaviour to FMI. I have already given you the location and date by pm. This should be sufficient for them to provide the necessary feedback/re-training to their agents.

It is commendable that Electric Ireland adheres to the CER code of practice but the code itself appears to have no particular guidance regarding multiple visits to the same premises within a short space of time. Can this thread be treated as a request that Electric Ireland issue guidance to FMI on the maximum number of visits that should be permitted to one premises within a day. I would personally request that this be capped at 2 visits.

Thank you for the apology, it is appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Drift

• Advertisement

Hi Drift,

Glad to help. We have already advised FMI of your query and will also pass on the above.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement