Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*****2014 ENGINEERING - all levels - Before and After discussion *****

• 04-06-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi I have most of my stuff learned for engineering tomorrow, I have the whole of the Nuclear Plant memorized but looking at last years paper has put me off, I've never seen most of the material on it and I haven't missed any notes given in class. just wondering can anyone give me some tips what to look over and to absolutely know off? looking for atleast a B in this exam and I did a pretty good practical and project also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

What do you mean you learned most of the stuff and you've never seen most of the material on the past papers?
    You've either learned it or not? If you need notes, PM me :) But best thing to do at the moment is just go trough the papers and marking scheme...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Nicke011 wrote: »
    What do you mean you learned most of the stuff and you've never seen most of the material on the past papers?
    You've either learned it or not? If you need notes, PM me :) But best thing to do at the moment is just go trough the papers and marking scheme...

I've learned near enough everything my teacher has given me over the last 6 years.. but looking at last years exam I've never heard of some of the things they ask about, which worries me. :(
    some notes on the equilibrium diagrams would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LH_

Nuclear Power is this years special topic. I'd advise to learn off Nuclear power, The Power Plant itself (control rods, fuel rods, steam generator, generator etc..) also learn wind power and wave power and dams.

Learn your plastics Thermosetting and Thermoplastic.
    Mers(Monomers) Polymers(Linear, Branched and Crosslinked with their diagrams) and Elastomers and Plasticisers.

Make sure you know your Equilibrium 1-8 Austentite, Ferrite, Cementite and Pearlite(Eutectic and Eutectoid points)

Learn moulding processes. (Compression, Blow, Injection, Extrusion)

Know heat treatments. (Hardening, Tempering, Normalising, Annealing)
    Also know (Induction Hardening w/ the coil and flame hardening)
    and also your optical pyrometer.

Measuring tools and gauges (Micrometer, Slip gauge, Plug gauge)
    Types of chipping (Continuous, Discontinuous and Built up edge)
    Angles (Clearance, Rake and Tool angles)
    Knurling

Welding process. (MIG, TIG, Manual Metal Arc, Submerged, Seam resistance, Spot resistance) (Their flames Oxidising, Carburising and Neutral)

Also for welding know Acetone, Acetylene, Oxygen, Flashback Arrestor, Ground/Earth

Know the welding circuit (Transformer + Rectifier + Capacitor)

Know Lubricants (Oil, Water, Graphite)

Thats all i can think of at the moment. Good Luck

LH_ wrote: »
    Nuclear Power is this years special topic. I'd advise to learn off Nuclear power, The Power Plant itself (control rods, fuel rods, steam generator, generator etc..) also learn wind power and wave power and dams.

Learn your plastics Thermosetting and Thermoplastic.
    Mers(Monomers) Polymers(Linear, Branched and Crosslinked with their diagrams) and Elastomers and Plasticisers.

Make sure you know your Equilibrium 1-8 Austentite, Ferrite, Cementite and Pearlite(Eutectic and Eutectoid points)

Learn moulding processes. (Compression, Blow, Injection, Extrusion)

Know heat treatments. (Hardening, Tempering, Normalising, Annealing)
    Also know (Induction Hardening w/ the coil and flame hardening)
    and also your optical pyrometer.

Measuring tools and gauges (Micrometer, Slip gauge, Plug gauge)
    Types of chipping (Continuous, Discontinuous and Built up edge)
    Angles (Clearance, Rake and Tool angles)
    Knurling

Welding process. (MIG, TIG, Manual Metal Arc, Submerged, Seam resistance, Spot resistance) (Their flames Oxidising, Carburising and Neutral)

Also for welding know Acetone, Acetylene, Oxygen, Flashback Arrestor, Ground/Earth

Know the welding circuit (Transformer + Rectifier + Capacitor)

Know Lubricants (Oil, Water, Graphite)

Thats all i can think of at the moment. Good Luck

That was a huge help, thanks!! :) I'm pretty confident with Nuclear Power, I always get full marks on that and everything plastic, the equilibrium diagram catch's me out a lot.
    do you think I'd get away with just taking these notes out of the engineering book? my sheets are a mess. :o

If it's the book I have then yeah you could use it but books are overworded and really overtalk about the smallest things. I'm not great at the equilibrium either but I just learned off the 8 areas and which metal goes where. Your diagram of the equilibrium could be different but i have mine labelled 1-8 and underneath what 1-8 are, that's all im doing for it. If ye need hand with other stuff gis a shout:)

• Advertisement

If it's the book I have then yeah you could use it but books are overworded and really overtalk about the smallest things. I'm not great at the equilibrium either but I just learned off the 8 areas and which metal goes where. Your diagram of the equilibrium could be different but i have mine labelled 1-8 and underneath what 1-8 are, that's all im doing for it. If ye need hand with other stuff gis a shout:)

Yeah was planning on writing the definitions I need out in my own words to just shorten everything down :) always get caught with the silly questions at the end such as the pre's the rc car one! I think the only point of the equilibrium I know is the eutectoid point, mainly cause its just marked x :p

Eutectic point - Straight from solid to liquid (Vice Versa)

Eutectoid point - Changes from solid to another solid (austentite to cementite and ferrite and also loses magnetic properties)

Yeah some of the most stupidest questions come up youd never learn and no one ever learns the engineers from the past **** that haha

Eutectic point - Straight from solid to liquid (Vice Versa)

Eutectoid point - Changes from solid to another solid (austentite to cementite and ferrite and also loses magnetic properties)

Yeah some of the most stupidest questions come up youd never learn and no one ever learns the engineers from the past **** that haha

Hmm I've my definitions mixed up already :p would I get marks for using the cadmium and bismuth diagram? that ones nice n easy to remember!
    I always write pure waffle for the past engineers got lucky one day though and henry ford came up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Let's try to keep the questions before and the moans / cheers afterwards to this thread ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭CWF

How did everyone get on???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

What was the moulding method used for the casing of the xbox controller? was it compression moulding? thats what everyone in my year said

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Badwulf wrote: »
    What was the moulding method used for the casing of the xbox controller? was it compression moulding? thats what everyone in my year said

I chose injection moulding?

My entire year said compression moulding for the xbox controller, but when I looked it up its Injection, also what was the NDT used for the welding flaws? and which material did you say was best for the crash barrier? A b or c?

My entire year said compression moulding for the xbox controller, but when I looked it up its Injection, also what was the NDT used for the welding flaws? and which material did you say was best for the crash barrier? A b or c?

Done the x ray for the NDT and guessed A for the crash barrier
    what did people choose for the welding of the exhaust?

I done ultrasonic and said A for the crash barrier too

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Siffo

TIG Welding

Please tell me I was right in saying ultrasonic testing :I

Siffo wrote: »
    TIG Welding

ah f*** i done MIG

Please tell me I was right in saying ultrasonic testing :I

ye that will work too

Siffo wrote: »
    TIG Welding

Ah **** :( I did C for the crash barrier and Oxy acetylene for the exhaust.
    what did ye write for exponential increase in the Nuclear Plant?

• Advertisement

Saxo wrote: »
    Ah **** :( I did C for the crash barrier and Oxy acetylene for the exhaust.
    what did ye write for exponential increase in the Nuclear Plant?

was that the chain reaction when 3 neutrons are released during fission and then hit more uranium atoms?

was that the chain reaction when 3 neutrons are released during fission and then hit more uranium atoms?

I'm not sure what it was tbh, sounded very businessy so I did a bit on countries making profit by selling energy to other countries :p god that exam didn't go too well for me...

I'm not sure what it was tbh, sounded very businessy so I did a bit on countries making profit by selling energy to other countries :p god that exam didn't go too well for me...

Just cos you see what what other people have got on here doesnt make your answers wrong . we havent seen a marking scheme yet :p

Just cos you see what what other people have got on here doesnt make your answers wrong . we havent seen a marking scheme yet :p

Everyone in my class seemed to put down what ye have though :p couldn't for the life of me remember the process of condensation polymerisation so I just threw down formaldehyde ion, hope I get atleast 2 marks for it :p

Everyone in my class seemed to put down what ye have though :p couldn't for the life of me remember the process of condensation polymerisation so I just threw down formaldehyde ion, hope I get atleast 2 marks for it :p

That question was unfair. Usually you are giving a choice with that question

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Did anyone else found Section A tricky?
    I've said x-ray for testing weld, I doubt it ultrasonic will work there :/
    Tig welding for car exhaust is definite cause it is stainless steel
    I've sad compression moulding for xbox controller
    And C for an additional barrier because it is the hardest material, A was most ductile and it looks like copper, as far as I know barrier post are not made of copper :D but, still I'm not too sure :/

I did questions 1,2,3,5,6 and 8 just in case, cause I have loads of spare time. What did you said for wing doors in q8? Hydraulics?

EDIT: Same question, what did you put for condensation polymerization?
    I draw a phenol + formaldehyde + phenol = phenol-formaldehyde + water and said that it gives strong crosslinked structure

And C for an additional barrier because it is the hardest material, A was most ductile and it looks like copper, as far as I know barrier post are not made of copper :D but, still I'm not too sure :/

I did questions 1,2,3,5,6 and 8 just in case, cause I have loads of spare time. What did you said for wing doors in q8? Hydraulics?

I draw a phenol + formaldehyde + phenol = phenol-formaldehyde + water and said that it gives strong crosslinked structure
    Yep I found some of the questions a bit tricky! the Nuclear Plant was a dream though apart from one of the questions at the end :)
    I said transfer moulding for the controller and C for the barrier too. we won't know until August if we were right or not which sucks, that'll be playing on my mind all summer. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KevinL101

The controller was Injection Moulding because it was a thermoplastic, plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Siffo

Ultra sonic testing can be used for weld defects :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 con1196

I said twas mig welding....was the delorean a real car or a rc car?

Advertisement