Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sulphuric/Egg smell in apartment

Options
  • 04-06-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Thankfully I am leaving my apartment shortly. It is one of the desperate Celtic Tiger builds - loose door handles, no sound proofing, disgusting finish on patio, cheap furnishings, etc.

Today though there was a stink of sulphur or egg in the kitchen. What could this be from?

We have been waiting on our estate agent to fix the hot water boiler immersion and have had no contact from them in over a week now about it and I have decided I am just going to leave it, and just not pay the rent for 4 weeks and let her keep the month's deposit I paid at the beginning in lieu.

I'm worried about the eggy smell though. Is this something to worry about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

It could be a smell from the water. Drinking water can contain the chemical hydrogen sulfide gas, which smells just like rotten eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you certain it isn't a sewage smell?

Ventilate the room(s) and check for damage to pipes.

Make sure the sink trap has water in it. https://www.google.ie/search?q=sink+trap&num=100&client=firefox-a&hs=3xv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3lWPU8aPL-qJ7Abmz4CwBA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=901

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Victor wrote: »
    Are you certain it isn't a sewage smell?

Ventilate the room(s) and check for damage to pipes.

Make sure the sink trap has water in it. https://www.google.ie/search?q=sink+trap&num=100&client=firefox-a&hs=3xv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3lWPU8aPL-qJ7Abmz4CwBA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=901

Wouldn't have a clue how to do that Victor. I'll run the water when I get back and see if that clears it.

It could be a smell from the water. Drinking water can contain the chemical hydrogen sulfide gas, which smells just like rotten eggs.

Is this safe to have in your water supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you gas? Like the natural gas, you may have a leak .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

pog it wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Thankfully I am leaving my apartment shortly. It is one of the desperate Celtic Tiger builds - loose door handles, no sound proofing, disgusting finish on patio, cheap furnishings, etc.

Today though there was a stink of sulphur or egg in the kitchen. What could this be from?

We have been waiting on our estate agent to fix the hot water boiler immersion and have had no contact from them in over a week now about it and I have decided I am just going to leave it, and just not pay the rent for 4 weeks and let her keep the month's deposit I paid at the beginning in lieu.

I'm worried about the eggy smell though. Is this something to worry about?

Its illegal to not pay your rent. Deposit is not rent .

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

You can, but it can have a detoxifying effect on your bowels until your body gets used it. Some places use it as part of their natural spa treatments (like where I grew up)... Or you can buy a carbon filter to remove the odour

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Is this safe to have in your water supply?

You can, but it can have a detoxifying effect on your bowels until your body gets used it. Some places use it as part of their natural spa treatments (like where I grew up)... Or you can buy a carbon filter to remove the odour

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

We had a strange sulphur like smell before in a room and it was only a few days later we found a light fitting was melting / burning.

Not saying it's that but take out your bulbs and inspect, just to be safe!

ted1 wrote: »
    Its illegal to not pay your rent. Deposit is not rent .

It's 'illegal' to not repair boiler/ immersion for hot water in good time. I consider having to wait 10 days (and counting) to be unacceptable so in the context I'm treating the agent and the landlord with the same lack of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It's 'illegal' to not repair boiler/ immersion for hot water in good time. I consider having to wait 10 days (and counting) to be unacceptable so in the context I'm treating the agent and the landlord with the same lack of respect.

That isn't how the law works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

mfergus wrote: »
    We had a strange sulphur like smell before in a room and it was only a few days later we found a light fitting was melting / burning.

Not saying it's that but take out your bulbs and inspect, just to be safe!

was going to suggest this. You may have too high a watt bulb in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Where's your washing machine? Filter could need to be cleaned

That isn't how the law works.

Actually, it is. Landlords have a duty to undertake repairs to restore hot water supply to tenants and if they do not fulfil said duty in a reasonable amount of time, the contract is rendered meaningless.

You need to do a little bit more research before you understand how the law works here.

Caliden wrote: »
    Where's your washing machine? Filter could need to be cleaned

This could be it Caliden.

Actually, it is. Landlords have a duty to undertake repairs to restore hot water supply to tenants and if they do not fulfil said duty in a reasonable amount of time, the contract is rendered meaningless.

You need to do a little bit more research before you understand how the law works here.

My LLB is hanging nicely on the wall here pog it
    , so I've done enough research already.
    Non payment of rent is illegal under the RTA, which is separate from any lease agreement which you may have in place or which you are disputing.
    You breaching your tenant obligations is not permitted just because your landlord is breaching theirs.

The phrase two wrongs do not make a right is key to all legal disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Contact the PRTB. They can fill you in with the correct legal procedures for this sort of issue. Because if it comes down to who broke the contract first (And failure to pay the last months rent can cause that to happen.) saying your legal advice came from a poster on boards.ie isn't exactly solid.

My LLB is hanging nicely on the wall here pog it
    , so I've done enough research already.
    Non payment of rent is illegal under the RTA, which is separate from any lease agreement which you may have in place or which you are disputing.
    You breaching your tenant obligations is not permitted just because your landlord is breaching theirs.

The phrase two wrongs do not make a right is key to all legal disputes.

They breached their obligations first. I now have a legal right to tear up the contract based on their not undertaking repairs to restore hot water in a timely manner.
    What logical, intelligent person would continue to pay rent on time to an estate agent/landlord who doesn't prioritise repairs to hot water supply, especially when that tenant is due to move out soon in any case and can't trust said agent, going on previous form, to return a deposit?

I'm not going to keep my end of the bargain here and potentially get burned even further on my way out.

There is a list of things this agent and landlord have left undone. Hot water is the last straw. And as I said, they broke the contract first.

Fact is, they are getting full rent for every week I stayed there. That isn't the same as not paying rent. The rent is effectively paid and I have left the apartment without any damage caused by myself so don't need to risk not getting my month's deposit back.

Ravenid wrote: »
    Contact the PRTB. They can fill you in with the correct legal procedures for this sort of issue. Because if it comes down to who broke the contract first (And failure to pay the last months rent can cause that to happen.) saying your legal advice came from a poster on boards.ie isn't exactly solid.

They broke the contract first by not repairing boiler/immersion issues for a supply of hot water in a reasonable amount of time. Two weeks without hot showers and having to shower at a gym or my home place is unacceptable.

I'm not going to need to contact the PRTB. I've paid my rent on time up to this and it is up to the agent and landlord now to take some action to get me back on side and since they are not even engaging, why the heck would I risk not seeing my month's deposit? Not leaving that to chance.

They broke their obligations first. I now have a legal right to tear up the contract based on their not undertaking repairs to restore hot water in a timely manner.
    What logical, intelligent person would continue to pay rent on time to an estate agent/landlord who doesn't prioritise repairs to hot water supply, especially when that tenant is due to move out soon in any case and can't trust said agent, going on previous form, to return a deposit?

I'm not going to keep my end of the bargain here and potentially get burned even further on my way out.

There is a list of things this agent and landlord have left undone. Hot water is the last straw. And as I said, they broke the contract first.

Fact is, they are getting full rent for every week I stayed there. That isn't the same as not paying rent. The rent is effectively paid and I have left the apartment without any damage caused by myself so don't need to risk not getting it back.

Your facts are wrong, you not paying rent if you haven't actually handed it over. A deposit is not rent. You are now in the wrong regardless of the actions of the landlord.

• Advertisement

Your facts are wrong, you not paying rent if you haven't actually handed it over. A deposit is not rent. You are now in the wrong regardless of the actions of the landlord.

I don't care if I am in the wrong. I am justified in doing so. You don't need to repeat the mantra that 'a deposit is not rent'. I never said it was. The point is that since they haven't bothered to fix the immersion and supply me with hot water the contract is now rendered legally worthless as I can walk away from it at any time due to their negligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I don't care if I am in the wrong. I am justified in doing so. You don't need to repeat the mantra that 'a deposit is not rent'. I never said it was. The point is that since they haven't bothered to fix the immersion and supply me with hot water the contract is now rendered legally worthless as I can walk away from it at any time due to their negligence.

You can't. There is no definition of reasonable time in the RTA. Yes the landlord has to fix it but their definition of reasonable and yours may be different. Ultimately it's the PRTB's definition that will count. Can't say I'd be happy if I was in your position but bearing in mind it was a bank holiday weekend I'm not sure you're being reasonable.

Bottom line is if you don't pay your rent, you turn the tables from the law & PRTB being in your favour to not.

Advertisement