Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get kitchen work - what do I need?

Options
  • 04-06-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm kinda lost.
    I want to apply for kitchen jobs, but I'm not sure what I need beyond a HACCP certificate (or am I wrong on that too?)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Knives, whites, apron, open ears, and a closed mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I think that the OP was looking for a better idea of what skills or additional training might be good for them to have to get a kitchen job. Flippant remarks like the above aren't really going to help tbh.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think that the OP was looking for a better idea of what skills or additional training might be good for them to have to get a kitchen job. Flippant remarks like the above aren't really going to help tbh.

tHB

Apologies, I was taking it literally but that's really all one does need

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When you say kitchen job what do you mean,? Cook,?kitchen assistant ? Kitchen porter? Pastry ?
    Your age and finances will have some bearing .
    First thing is get on to state training authority (whoever they are now , used to be CERT) to find out what courses are available and what you need to get on to them.
    Then it's time to go out and get some work experience,shoe leather and a good cover letter, even a few weeks of an internship wouldn't hurt...
    If you're eligible maybe job bridge would suit,
    (I remember having to "babysit" work experience "kids" in a few different kitchens, part of the job)
    Idealy get on a course but don't do it if your not sure if youre up for a commercial kitchen..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Jboss

Hard job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Started into an internship with JobBridge (also had my 2 day trial in a highend kitchen).

Things I've learned so far:
    • Get your own uniform.
      Hell, get 2-3 white chef tops and 1-2 kitchen trousers, as well as good safety clogs and 2 full-length (bib) aprons.
      Shows you're serious. Nisbets.ie have free next day delivery this month.
    • Get your own knives.
      1 utility knife, 1 santoku / chef's knife, and 1 "chopper" (serrated confectioner's knife) should be enough to get started.
      Quality pays; I got Wüsthof Classic which should last a good few decades.
      A good peeler wouldn't hurt either.
      I can fully endorse Sweeney O'Rourke's on Pearse Street for advice & shopping.
    • Learn how to hold a knife safely!
      I didn't at first, turns out I've been putting myself in jeopardy for years.
      Just Google and ask other chefs for advice.
    • Pay attention and learn where things go, for how long they can be stored, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Started into an internship with JobBridge (also had my 2 day trial in a highend kitchen)

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Hope it works out for you op. Keep us posted on your progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

A note pad and pen at all times for writing down everything associated with food.

Practical professional cookery-Book

Le patisserie -Book

Two starter books to get you going always learn the basics before attempting to create your own dishes.

Respect who your working with and what your working with and where your working and take experience from everything -- The great, the brutal, the mediocre ..They each will teach you valuable things.

Becoming a cook is easy, becoming a well respected chef takes diligence, intelligence, hard work, harder skin and stamina and above all else time.

There is plenty of cooks in Ireland but very few chefs.

Mistakes are vital and welcomed in cooking they are one of the major ways to learning, what I mean by this is that be brave enough to do it even if it is a mistake.

Be good enough to produce it and insecure enough to want to better it.

When you create something special...forget about it and go about producing something better and more special.

Always view your customers as if they are dining out for a special occasion as it makes you less inclined to be taking what you do for granted.

You are producing something that is going to be ingested by another human being...learn hygiene!! wash your hands after touching anything, if that means every 30 seconds so be it, your hands are the number 1 cause of food poisoning.

Cook with heart and soul as opposed to following trends, there is some great restaurants in Ireland but they all try to be the same and follow food trends rather than cooking what they love, you can always tell how good a chef is by the way he doesn't follow trends.

Crockery!!! Presentation is important, its vital you are creative in this respect as why bother going to a restaurant if you can slap the same thing together at home?

Above is only the tip of the ice berg, people often look down on this industry but its a truly great environment to work and learn in and you never stop learning and being amazed by things.

Best of luck its tough but a busy service is addictive after awhile and the adrenaline rush can be amazing.

Advertisement