Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I may regret this...

Options
  • 04-06-2014 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

... But I have to get serious now. I'm overweight, underfit, and at an age where I need to sort it out. I thought if I stick this up in here, I can keep track and shame myself into doing some more fitness training. I used to (many moons ago) play competitive basketball and hockey, and would like to get back to the point where I could play a match without... dying. I'm having problems with my back, and it'll get worse unless I sort out my core and build strength and flexibility.

So, to shame myself:

Sex: Female

Height: 175cm

Weight (GOD WHY AM I POSTING THIS???) 138 kg.

My plan is to get 2 gym sessions (cross training and cycling, with some weights) in a week, along with 2 yoga sessions for balance and flexibility. Once my local pool gets fixed and open again I'll hopefully get a swim in also.

I don't want to start too full on, and scupper myself before I start. I injured my ankle and am currently rehabbing it with a physiotherapist so I can only do low-impact cardio.

Tonight I am going to the gym for the first time in a long time. I have no idea what will happen.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

... But I have to get serious now. I'm overweight, underfit, and at an age where I need to sort it out. I thought if I stick this up in here, I can keep track and shame myself into doing some more fitness training. I used to (many moons ago) play competitive basketball and hockey, and would like to get back to the point where I could play a match without... dying. I'm having problems with my back, and it'll get worse unless I sort out my core and build strength and flexibility.

So, to shame myself:

Sex: Female

Height: 175cm

Weight (GOD WHY AM I POSTING THIS???) 138 kg.

My plan is to get 2 gym sessions (cross training and cycling, with some weights) in a week, along with 2 yoga sessions for balance and flexibility. Once my local pool gets fixed and open again I'll hopefully get a swim in also.

I don't want to start too full on, and scupper myself before I start. I injured my ankle and am currently rehabbing it with a physiotherapist so I can only do low-impact cardio.

Tonight I am going to the gym for the first time in a long time. I have no idea what will happen.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Looking forward to hearing your progress :) Well done on starting the log!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Fair play for starting the log, You don't need to shame yourself into working out, this log should be for you to see your progress and not for the benefit of us randomers :)

Diet is the most important thing to nail down, You can lose 1.5lbs+ a week just by having a sustainable calorie controlled diet. Its so much easier to create the necessary calorie deficit through diet and this will let you continue to lose weight even throughout your injury / any other downtime that may upset your gym attendance.

I would recommend getting myfitnesspal and tracking your calories, it may be worth visiting one of our resident trainers here to get your initial calorie / nutrition requirements sorted.

Best of luck on the journey, its amazing what you can achieve if you really try and treat it as a long term project, in less than 2 years you can be at your goal weight with simple diet adherence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks guys. I actually have already got myfitnesspal downloaded and all my stats in, i have today's meals input. I've been making steady changes with my diet of late- luckily my partner is starting a fitness regime herself so that will make it easier, we can keep each other honest, and plan meals and get to the gm together.

I have a couple of bad habits I need to break, I am a devil for bread/ sandwiches which usually means mayonaise (major achilles heel for me), and also sugar. I'm doing my best to cut out refined sugar but it's tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Between you both, cook in bulk! Best thing you could possibly do for any goal be it maintain, fat loss or muscular gain. If food is readily made you'll be less likely to binge on ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,274 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The best advice I can give you is to understand and accept that getting where you really dream of is a long term process, and ultimately this is something you will be plugging away at in one form or another for the rest of your life.

Now, you might instantly think that's negative or depressing, but the huge upside is that there is no pressure to be a certain place next week, next month, next year. Just to get moving in the right direction and slowly and steadily make progress to where you want to be.

Steps:

- cut out the silly excesses in your diet;
    - drink more water;
    - get doing some exercise a few times a week, doesn't have to be earth shattering. Just some movement that you find enjoyable and can consistently perform;`
    - try to prioritise getting to bed earlier and aiming for a minimum of 7 hours of sleep each night;
    - start trying to cook more and taking the time to prep meals in advance;

And stick at it. Rely on the mirror; how you sleep; how you feel; whether that low back pain is getting better; whether that reflux is dissipating as your barometers of progress. The scales hate you and will try and trick you - so ignore them.
    (GOD WHY AM I POSTING THIS???)

There is nothing to be ashamed of here. You've taken the important first step - knowing there is a problem and starting a process to redress it. Now it's just a matter of quiet consistency. You'll have some downs, some slips. Just stick at it and you'll gradually get there.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate the tips and the encouragement. :)

We're relatively good with cooking healthily from scratch but we can always improve. Snacking needs to change, I need to eat more fruit and nuts for snacks and drink less/ no fizzy drinks.

I got to te gym tonight and spent a good bit of time checking out the machines and getting advice from the staff on excercises that I can use in conjunction with the advice my physio has given me.

I got 15 minutes of recumbent cycling and 5 minutes of cross training in, along with a series of reps on the lat machine and some type of barbell curve that I can't remember the name of that the staff guy recommended for me.

I'm pretty pleased with that for my first session.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

First of all congrats on starting a more then acheivable goal with patient and dedication it can be done, I say you have the cardio advice grand one thing that i notice helps alot of people i tell about losing weight is cardio first thing in the morning when you wake up 20mins walk or what ever suits you, the diet and cardio are key to this, Get a good healty breakfest into you porridge, fruit, nuts.
    Diet wise theres the come down slow route which is easing out bad carbs replace them with good carbs like wholewheat pasta, sweet patateo, brown rice or baby spuds, health carbs help burn fat kee your meals freaquent every 2 to 3 hours keeps you motabolisim burning like your core temputure. As for protien start interducing turkey burgers, steak burgers, fish and chicken fillets and egg whites throw season with them or relish there clean carb and protien diets mixed with twice a day cardio you will see good results after 4 weeks. Also i would recomment l-caratine and CLAs plus green tea extracts tablets helps with turning fat into energy with this diet.
    I hope this helps in some what way if you see your weight loss slowing down add extra 5 mins cardio in the morning and afternoon.
    Best of luck ill keep an eye out on the thread :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Between you both, cook in bulk! Best thing you could possibly do for any goal be it maintain, fat loss or muscular gain. If food is readily made you'll be less likely to binge on ****e.

Definitely the best thing I ever did.

Not only do I have nice lunches going to work but there's a freezer filled with different lunch boxes that just need a blast in the microwave and after a hard gym session or a bad day in work there's nothing better than knowing that dinner is sorted!

Just back from the gym. Weighed myself earlier and I've met my goal for this week, which feels AWESOME.

Tonight:

15 minutes of cardio (recumbent cycling- covered about 5k)

5 minutes on the step machine.

3x 10 reps on lat machine (15kg)
    3x 10 reps on leg press (10kg)
    3x 10 dumbbell curls (2.5kg)
    3x 10 dumbbell side drops (2.5kg)

I'm pleased with my progress. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Squatman

Congrats on making your target. could i be as cheeky as to as what was your target. When im working on losing weight, i would weigh myself in LBS, as smaller changes in weight are more visible. Also, i would add that you should make measurements, arms, legs, chest, stomach, etc. so that these changes are measurable too. You may loose size, without losing weight, and this is very demotivational - unless you can measure the loss. but keep chipping away. I have found the cross trainer to be a very good tool for weight loss, as there is a minimum impact on the joints. Also since you are new, what i would do, is try and do 2-3 mins on each machine - cross trainer, threadmill, rowing machine, etc. and work the time up by 30 seconds per session, until you can do 30 mins -on a machine. parting thoughts, - Great work, and i will be following this thread closely. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Squatman wrote: »
    Congrats on making your target. could i be as cheeky as to as what was your target. When im working on losing weight, i would weigh myself in LBS, as smaller changes in weight are more visible. Also, i would add that you should make measurements, arms, legs, chest, stomach, etc. so that these changes are measurable too. You may loose size, without losing weight, and this is very demotivational - unless you can measure the loss. but keep chipping away. I have found the cross trainer to be a very good tool for weight loss, as there is a minimum impact on the joints. Also since you are new, what i would do, is try and do 2-3 mins on each machine - cross trainer, threadmill, rowing machine, etc. and work the time up by 30 seconds per session, until you can do 30 mins -on a machine. parting thoughts, - Great work, and i will be following this thread closely. Best of luck.

Cheers man. My goal Is to loose a steady 2-3 lb a week. I've been managin that for the lat 3 weeks, with a bigger loss this week actually.

The measurements is a good idea, thanks!

I'm trying to keep my workout varied but I do have certain things I can't do according to my physio and I don't want to risk messing up my ankle or chest again.

:)

Gym tonight.

5 minutes recumbent cycling (alternating high and low energy outputs every 30 seconds)

3x10 lat pulls (15kg)
    3x10 leg press (10kg)
    3x10 arm extensions (15kg)
    15 dumbbell side drops (2.5kg each hand)
    1x8 dumbbell curls (4kg)

And a series of physio excercises for my chest injury that I'm rehabbing.

Cooled down with 3.5k brisk walk.

Was going to do more but we were late getting to the gym so had to do a shorter workout. Still happy with what I did in the time.

today I have reached my lowest weight in 3 years!!!!

:D

Gym tonight:

10 minutes cycling
    10 minutes brisk walking
    10 side dips (3kg weights)
    10 arm curls (3kg weights)
    3x10x15kg lat pulls
    3x10x10kg leg press
    3x10x15kg arm extensions
    10 crunches

Series of stretches for my injuries.

Gym again tonight- I also weighed myself and I've lost half a stone since starting this seriously. Very pleased with that. I was also able to increase my weights on all machines tonight which feels awesome!!!

5minutes cycling (warm up)
    3x 10 lat pulls (20kg)
    3x10 less press (on the slider machine- 40kg)
    10 minutes power walking
    3x5 arm extensions (20kg)
    3x10 side dips (4kg weights)
    3x10 cross pulls (20kg)

New barbell routine I found, did 3 sets of this routine. Arms were DYING at the end, even with only 4kg weights!!!

Weights workout:

See saw rowx10

Overhead seesaw press x10

Calf raise x10

alternating dumbbell curl x10

Dumbell bend x10

overhead tricep extension x10

upright row x10

Series of stretches for my injuries.

I'm really enjoying the weights section of my workout, sucks that I can't do any bench presses because of my chest injury, at least until I get the all clear from my physio.

Missed a session this week so only one to log, pretty much the exact same as the last one, with 15 minutes fast cycling instead of walking. Felt great afterwards! Think I need to start working more on stretches and core strength, though.

Advertisement