Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Florida

Options
  • 04-06-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking at moving to Orlando in the next few months with my girlfriend. How hard is it to move over? I'm a qualified electrician and I'd obviously be trying to have a job set up before I left, is it hard to get a job as an Irish sparks over there?
    Also what areas would be nice to live in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Are you a US citizen of the US, or do you have a green card or some other visa that allows you to live and work legally in the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Are you a US citizen of the US, or do you have a green card or some other visa that allows you to live and work legally in the USA?

No but can you not just go over to work and apply for permanent residency when you're there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

hunter164 wrote: »
    No but can you not just go over to work and apply for permanent residency when you're there?

No. Have you not researched before deciding to move? You need a Green Card to work in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

No. Have you not researched before deciding to move? You need a Green Card to work in the US.

Taken from http://gradireland.com/careers-advice/international-opportunities/moving-to-the-united-states :
    Immigrant visas

An immigrant visa is required of anyone who wishes to enter the United States to live there permanently. Due to the tight restrictions on immigration it is extremely difficult to get an immigrant visa or 'green card'.

In general there are three ways to obtain an immigrant visa:

Sponsorship by immediate family member: If you have a US citizen parent, spouse, adult child or brother or sister, or if your parent or spouse holds a resident alien card, they can sponsor you for an immigrant visa.
    Sponsorship by prospective employer: A prospective employer may also sponsor you for a visa. The employer will have to show that you have recognised exceptional abilities or professional qualifications which are needed in the US.
    Winning the ‘green card’ lottery: The United States currently issues 55,000 immigrant visas per year, under the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program. They are issued to people worldwide through a lottery system. Those who wish to apply through the lottery programme must enter online using the State Department’s website.
    Applications for all visas should be sent to the US Embassy. Applicants are advised not to make non-refundable travel arrangements until after the visa had been approved. A visa entitles the holder to travel to the United States and apply for admission; it does not guarantee entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nope.

You have to have your green card/visa situation sorted out before you go. If you don't have a green card, or an immediate family member who can sponsor you for one, your only option is to get an employer to sponsor you for a work visa. You can not do it yourself. That costs $5,000 to 10,000 for them to do. Unless you have very specific skills or qualifications that are in short supply in the US, you are going to find it very hard to find a company that is willing to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

If it were only that easy. it's most certainly not. Wanting to live and work in the US on a permanent basis is a dream and life goal for many, myself included, and we have all done extensive research and know our options. You can't simply move over and start working, and apply for residency. Not legally anyway. For you to just assume you can go over and do that, is blissful ignorance on your part.

In any case, you need to be sponsored for a working visa, in some way; be it employer sponsored, or a close family member (mother, sister etc) -- if it's employer sponsored, they would have to fork out a considerable amount of cash for the visa for you, not to mention legal fees and time investment involved in getting everything sorted.

Apologies for coming across as blunt, but its a topic i feel quite passionate about.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I would imagine it would be pretty much impossible to get a job as an electrician if you're an illegal immigrant. There are big penalties for employers who take on such staff. Also the industry is fairly heavily unionised and regulated.

As an aside Florida is a great place to holiday or retire. Making a living there is a different proposition with very low wages compared to more northern states.

Advertisement