Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone pulling an all nighter?

• 04-06-2014 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

is it advisable, pros cons, engineering and english 2morow, then geography and maths the next day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Stupidity at its finest. Get good sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,446 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why would you even consider this? (if you're being serious, which i hope you're not).

Your brain would be like mashed potato in the exams by Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your memory function will be half as good, and some of what you remember may not make sense to you (esp when doing maths questions).

All nighters are only good for doing homework, as next day your brain won't function.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 zvseire

thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

No because it's a terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Don't even consider it! Pointless, you will need all your energy for the exams yourself. If you don't know your material at this stage then forget it. These last few hours should be for finalising things and going over the parts you are hesitant about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Ah I remember my Leaving cert days. I stayed up until 4AM playing CoD every night and did well enough in the exams.

But that's because I remembered a lot of the info/hated studying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Please don't.

If you aren't convinced do a google for "Cognitive Impairment and Sleep Deprivation". Lots of journal articles on the field.

In the meanwhile, this is an easily read article
    http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/emotions-cognitive

I'm a Mum of a Leaving Cert, reading this forum rather than bothering my daughter about the minutiae of what is going on ;)

I've been there, in terms of exams (have a couple of post-grad courses under my belt) and it really isn't worth it. A good night's sleep is far more beneficial than getting up early or staying up late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I'm going to stay until 3am and get up at 10am so that will be a good seven hours sleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,446 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm going to stay until 3am and get up at 10am so that will be a good seven hours sleep

Do you really think you'll achieve anything terribly productive between 1am and 3am? Having done two exams already the same day?

If you're insistent on only having 7 hours sleep, I'd be going to bed much earlier than that and getting up at 6am.

You're not going to learn much new at this point (especially at 3am!) - far better being well rested in the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Do you really think you'll achieve anything terribly productive between 1am and 3am? Having done two exams already the same day?

If you're insistent on only having 7 hours sleep, I'd be going to bed much earlier than that and getting up at 6am.

You're not going to learn much new at this point (especially at 3am!) - far better being well rested in the exam.

I do my best study at night and I have kind of become accustomed to 7 hours sleep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SassyCastiel

i'd say as long as you've got a good 5 hours sleep (it's all you really need), just to give your brain some time to sort through all the information, you should be fine c:

~speaking from experience of spending consecutive exams doing the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Sassy castiel is definitely a supernatural reference :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's never the day after the all-nighter that you feel bad, it's the following day. Geography and Maths? I wouldn't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I pulled one last night, mind you, I didn't want to, if I got any sleep at all I'd say it was for 30 minutes maximum. I was fine today but when I came home I forced myself to nap, which turned into a 4 hour sleep... :p

If you really have to do it, don't forget to nap, but I wouldn't advise it because you have 4 exams in the next 2 days. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Many studies of the adolescent mind show that studying at night is much better for young people. Young people are night owls generally which explains why most enjoy night time activities better and don't like to get up before 10 am. That said you still need sleep so your mind can process what you have learnt so staying up to 2am or so and going to bed then would be OK.

There was a student in an article before who stayed up until 3am before every exam he did revising every aspect of the course so it was fresh in his mind and ended up getting 600 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SassyCastiel

peekachoo wrote: »
    Sassy castiel is definitely a supernatural reference :pac:

it was the only name i could come up with fast lol

Advertisement