Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English P1 HUGE MISTAKE

• 04-06-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I wrote a personal essey thinking it was a short story and had me as the main character how much will I get penalised for this? Will I get 0?!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

What was the essay about?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Seymour101

Essay title was meeting unusual people make an impact on your life

And I wrote about me going to prison and how inmates affected my life within prison :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

Holy Sh1t, I did the exact same thing. You had to write about meeting new people and I wrote it in first person, saying who I met and how it affected me.

Holy Sh1t, I did the exact same thing. You had to write about meeting new people and I wrote it in first person, saying who I met and how it affected me.

I did exactly that ! Got too excited when I saw the essay title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Seymour101 wrote: »
    Essay title was meeting unusual people make an impact on your life

And I wrote about me going to prison and how inmates affected my life within prison :'(

The examiner will probably just think you spent a few years in prison then? It'll be OK.

• Advertisement

I did exactly that ! Got too excited when I saw the essay title

I'm sh1tt1ng it now, surely we should be covered????!!!!! :(:(:(:(

Thank Christ, this from 2013,

the storyteller’s connection to his audience.” (TEXT 1)
    Write a personal essay in which you explore the storytelling evident in music and song and its
    impact on you as a listener.

Candidates may adopt a variety of approaches (formal, informal, anecdotal, etc.), but they should include a reflective element, and engage with “the storytelling evident in music and song, and its impact” on them as listeners.

I hope a variety of approaches can mean first person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Thank Christ, this from 2013,

the storyteller’s connection to his audience.” (TEXT 1)
    Write a personal essay in which you explore the storytelling evident in music and song and its
    impact on you as a listener.

Candidates may adopt a variety of approaches (formal, informal, anecdotal, etc.), but they should include a reflective element, and engage with “the storytelling evident in music and song, and its impact” on them as listeners.

I hope a variety of approaches can mean first person.
    A personal essay is supposed to be in first person!
    But it's supposed to be an insight into the mind of a Leaving Cert student.

peekachoo wrote: »
    A personal essay is supposed to be in first person!
    But it's supposed to be an insight into the mind of a Leaving Cert student.

Thank jaysus,

Do you have to say you're doing your leaving, I wrote about being up at Dublin

EDIT: I also wrote about my own personal experience. Would this make for a boring read is it what their looking for? I

Thank jaysus,

Do you have to say you're doing your leaving, I wrote about being up at Dublin

Nah you don't have to actually mention that, It's more that the examiner should feel like they're reading the perspective of a teenager about the given essay! And yeah they want to know about your experiences :pac:

• Advertisement

Nah you don't have to actually mention that, It's more that the examiner should feel like they're reading the perspective of a teenager about the given essay! And yeah they want to know about your experiences :pac:

Its boring, like I went up to Dublin and met me mates, its so obvious it happened and described how meeting them actually felt. Would this set me in good stead? Its a bit boring but its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

I wrote a personal essey thinking it was a short story and had me as the main character how much will I get penalised for this? Will I get 0?!!!

Well your first mistake was writing a short story in first person, so I guess it now sort of works in your favour that it was a personal essay.

Jones82 wrote: »
    Well your first mistake was writing a short story in first person, so I guess it now sort of works in your favour that it was a personal essay.

Is it also alright to write a personal essay in the present??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

You wrote something "relevant " which is the key word here, don't care What anyone says, u awnsered the question, u can't get a zero for that and u won't lose to many points if any.

Will I get marked of 0 so? I wrote my essay in the first person but not as if I was a leaving cert student?

Or would I only get penalised a small bit?

We got through this Seymour, thank God :)

And we kept our cool :P

We got through this Seymour, thank God :)

And we kept our cool :P

Haha I know! Did fine in the whole paper overall was just looking over and saw my mistake. Hopefully doesnt set me back too much and we get a nice paper tomorrow be world of good best of luck and like myself read the question clearly from now on!!! Hahaha

I always do short stories in first person?
    A lot more effective imo, easy to give insights into the character and understand what they're feeling/thinking.

I always do short stories in first person?
    A lot more effective imo, easy to give insights into the character and understand what they're feeling/thinking.

Thank God your here :D

Cheers for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Don't worry boys. In the mocks, I wrote a "personal essay" in which the entire planet committed suicide due to a philosophical shift in humans. I got 100/100 for it.

You guys are safe. They are very, very lenient on what a "personal essay" entails, as long as it focuses on a self of some description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

jazz101 wrote: »
    Don't worry boys. In the mocks, I wrote a "personal essay" in which the entire planet committed suicide due to a philosophical shift in humans. I got 100/100 for it.

No offence or anything, but 100/100 sounds like bull**** marking to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

No offence or anything, but 100/100 sounds like bull**** marking to me.

Eh, it was that "tour de force" thing where they stop being arsed halfway through and just give you 100. No offence taken - the essays I write for school are purple as **** and highfalutin, designed to impress. All I'm trying to point out here though is that markers are flexible as all hell about the definition of a question.

Like, if there was a title like "write a story about a place of great importance", I could easily see someone getting away with something as cheap as "the drug den was an important place" in their first line and going on to write the druglord story they had prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Eh, have you ever read a book? Writing in first person is fine. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Don't worry too much. The SEC are much stricter the other way around, that is if you wrote a personal essay and it was supposed to be a short story.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

I wrote about people ive met and what impact they had on me. Is that alright?

what was the title?

you definitely will not get zero. Don't worry!

Will I get marked of 0 so? I wrote my essay in the first person but not as if I was a leaving cert student?

You definitely will not get zero, don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You wont get penalised at all. They are looking at how well you can write. its not a quiz question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

Terri26 wrote: »
    what was the title?

The personal essay about interesting or unusual people you encountered

Advertisement