Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northgate recruitment postponed till 2015

Options
  • 04-06-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭

According to the front page of the The Connaught Telegraph anyway northgate recruitment wont start till march or april next year, the initial announcement said this march. the lack of suitable building is the delay.:rolleyes:

Half the buildings in the town are empty. one wonders why they didnt source a building before they announced it.

i have my doubts they will come at all now.

i think a few emails to my local politicians to see what i muster up.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was never on the cards, all a cloak. If Valent buy out Allergan AND if they do what they normally do and what they are at there in Waterford you could have Westport and Castlebar with serious unemployment issues.
    And yet they tell us that the recession is over and all this BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Don't know anything about Northgate. Hope it does come thru.

Valeant's interest in Allergan is unwelcome, to put it mildly.

Allergan has been very successful since they started in Westport in the seventies. A former MD told me that they competed against other facilities in the group for various new lines.

A massive extension is underway, estimated to be ready by Jan next. Will bring total jobs to about 950. Huge amount being invested

While Valeant are a pharma company, they seem to be more interested in aggressive financial engineering. There have been some criticisms about their methods in their campaign to take over Allergan. Doubt if they will be able to truthfully claim that some other plant anywhere can beat Westport's efficiency, skillsets, experience etc.

Worrying times in this part of the county.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nuac wrote: »
    Don't know anything about Northgate. Hope it does come thru.

Valeant's interest in Allergan is unwelcome, to put it mildly.

Allergan has been very successful since they started in Westport in the seventies. A former MD told me that they competed against other facilities in the group for various new lines.

A massive extension is underway, estimated to be ready by Jan next. Will bring total jobs to about 950. Huge amount being invested

While Valeant are a pharma company, they seem to be more interested in aggressive financial engineering. There have been some criticisms about their methods in their campaign to take over Allergan. Doubt if they will be able to truthfully claim that some other plant anywhere can beat Westport's efficiency, skillsets, experience etc.

Worrying times in this part of the county.

What Valent want is the botox side of it, they don't want the rest. The botox license is solely and wholly in Westport and will remain there, the other parts of it they will close.
    The main Allergan shareholder is now pushing to get the Allergan board sacked if they don't accept the 53 billion dollar offer, if Valent go to 54/55 billion then it will be pushed through and outside of the Botox workers and the new plant when it comes online in a year or so, that will be the end of Allergan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

yop wrote: »
    The main Allergan shareholder is now pushing to get the Allergan board sacked if they don't accept the 53 billion dollar offer, if Valent go to 54/55 billion then it will be pushed through and outside of the Botox workers and the new plant when it comes online in a year or so, that will be the end of Allergan.

Source??

Rumour and idle speculation are always helpful when more than 600 jobs are at stake. :rolleyes:

Source??

Rumour and idle speculation are always helpful when more than 600 jobs are at stake. :rolleyes:

Do you not read any business papers or listen to the business news then?
    600 jobs....slightly more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

mr ring replied saying he knows nothing and to contact enda, enda is in america so i dont expect a reply anytime soon.

irishgeo wrote: »
    mr rign replied saying he knows nothing and to contact enda, enda is in america so i dont expect a reply anytime soon.

Quelle surprise. It won't happen at all.

Links please?

Links please?

Read the business post or listen to RTE or Newstalk. I read them and listened to them.

You have stated the above in a public forum on a widely read website. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask you to supply a link or a verifiable source for your post, unless it is just an opinion of yours, in which case you should state it as such.

This is a serious issue.

To say you just "heard it on the radio" or "read it in the newspaper" is both childish and irresponsible.

Is it speculation, or fact?

• Advertisement

You have stated the above in a public forum on a widely read website. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask you to supply a link or a verifiable source for your post, unless it is just an opinion of yours, in which case you should state it as such.

This is a serious issue.

To say you just "heard it on the radio" or "read it in the newspaper" is both childish and irresponsible.

Is it speculation, or fact?

I know well what this site is and I know how the forums work, I moderate it if you haven't noticed.

I gave you the sources, I am sure you can find the podcast and the online version of the paper.

Neither are childish or irresponsible, they are real sources, as I said I am sure the stories are still there, I am not going to photo copy a story or I have not a recording of the radio stations.

I don't do speculation.

I know well what this site is and I know how the forums work, I moderate it if you haven't noticed.

I gave you the sources, I am sure you can find the podcast and the online version of the paper.

Neither are childish or irresponsible, they are real sources, as I said I am sure the stories are still there, I am not going to photo copy a story or I have not a recording of the radio stations.

I don't do speculation.

The fact you moderate it is irrelevant unless you are posting in your capacity as a Mod, which you are not in this instance.

If the podcasts or stories are still there why are you unable to provide a simple link?

I work in Allergan, your post has been discussed, and not just in the canteen.

The fact you moderate it is irrelevant unless you are posting in your capacity as a Mod, which you are not in this instance.

If the podcasts or stories are still there why are you unable to provide a simple link?

I work in Allergan, your post has been discussed, and not just in the canteen.

As already posted, I read the newspaper and I listened to the radio, if they are on podcast and still online I am sure you will find them.

They are discussing my post in Allergan, I'm delighted, and also in the toilets?
    I must ask about on Monday when I get in to see how much interest its generating, though its not new news to anyone in Allergan in the know.

As already posted, I read the newspaper and I listened to the radio, if they are on podcast and still online I am sure you will find them.

They are discussing my post in Allergan, I'm delighted, and also in the toilets?
    I must ask about on Monday when I get in to see how much interest its generating, though its not new news to anyone in Allergan in the know.

You don't get it. You just don't get it!

If you pass on a story you should at least post a valid and verifiable link. Especially if said link is as easy to find as you say.

"I listened to the radio and read the paper" - are you serious?

Your speculation and glib chatter is irresponsible and childish. Please stop.

You don't get it. You just don't get it!

If you pass on a story you should at least post a valid and verifiable link. Especially if said link is as easy to find as you say.

"I listened to the radio and read the paper" - are you serious?

Your speculation and glib chatter is irresponsible and childish. Please stop.

I'm always serious and i got it a long long time ago. ;)

As I said, again, I don't do speculation, have a chat when you go back into Allergan, sit down with your manager and ask him or her whats happening about the acquisition by Valent, ask them how Valent work, ask them what Valent really want to buy Allergan for and ask them what the current offer is for.
    Maybe buy the Business Post tomorrow and or listen to the multitude of business shows on the various radio stations we have here.

My chatter is with you, no one else seems to have any issue understanding the permutations involved here.

I'm always serious and i got it a long long time ago. ;)

As I said, again, I don't do speculation, have a chat when you go back into Allergan, sit down with your manager and ask him or her whats happening about the acquisition by Valent, ask them how Valent work, ask them what Valent really want to buy Allergan for and ask them what the current offer is for.
    Maybe buy the Business Post tomorrow and or listen to the multitude of business shows on the various radio stations we have here.

My chatter is with you, no one else seems to have any issue understanding the permutations involved here.

My friend, this post is so foolish it barely warrants a response. But here goes for what it's worth...

"Sit down with your manager" - you assume I am below a management status. I won't comment on that but to say that perhaps you are trying to belittle me, perhaps you are simple displaying your usual flawed logic.

"My chatter is with you." - You really haven't understood this world wide internet business yet have you?

Now please go to bed, before you do yourself, or the company that pays your wages an injustice. ;)

My friend, this post is so foolish it barely warrants a response. But here goes for what it's worth...

"Sit down with your manager" - you assume I am below a management status. I won't comment on that but to say that perhaps you are trying to belittle me, perhaps you are simple displaying your usual flawed logic.

"My chatter is with you." - You really haven't understood this world wide internet business yet have you?

Now please go to bed, before you do yourself, or the company that pays your wages an injustice. ;)

So if you have no manager then you own Allergan! You might need to have a word with your share holders then, your inline for the sack if your main shareholder has his way! :D
    No flawed logic here at all, many many years of experience of people and their ways.

Anyway, this has gone off thread long enough, time to head your own advice and stop posting,time to let it back to what it was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

SG,

The news about Valeant's dealing with their Bausch and Lomb subsidiary and their efforts to take over Allergan are all over the financial and business press.

Nobody interested in the topic should need links.

It is a worrying time for Allergan and all interested in it's future.

I am not connected with Allergan but know many who have worked there over the years, and many who work there now. I have also watched the current massive extension

If you think YOP has got it wrong, pls enlighten us

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭covey09

Its about money, and if anyone is naive enough to think that Allergan is special there being deluded. I work in allergan and have a house in Westport there and i'm very worried for the Future. Botox is safe in my view given the fact the Valeant sold Dysport to Nestle. They will not be able to ask for any pay reductions as it is the only plant and they have no alternative facility and would take years to transfer not to say risky. As for the Pharma i can see them moving production but it will take a couple of years to sort it out. Valeant are pure greed and partnered by Bill Ackman make a powerful force. It will take something big for this not to happen. Hopefully the Q2 results will scare investors not to want valeant stock. We're going to know oneway or another by November. There will be plenty of twists and turns left.

covey09 wrote: »
    Its about money, and if anyone is naive enough to think that Allergan is special there being deluded. I work in allergan and have a house in Westport there and i'm very worried for the Future. Botox is safe in my view given the fact the Valeant sold Dysport to Nestle. They will not be able to ask for any pay reductions as it is the only plant and they have no alternative facility and would take years to transfer not to say risky. As for the Pharma i can see them moving production but it will take a couple of years to sort it out. Valeant are pure greed and partnered by Bill Ackman make a powerful force. It will take something big for this not to happen. Hopefully the Q2 results will scare investors not to want valeant stock. We're going to know oneway or another by November. There will be plenty of twists and turns left.

In one, it will take a very strong board to resist especially if the shareholders are putting pressure. I hope they do hold out, great staff in Allergan and a great company. Westport and the surrounding areas will be badly effected, don't think the government will have any say in this.

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    SG,

Nobody interested in the topic should need links.

:confused: In this internet world Nuac, where any and all opinions are published as black and white fact, Links are all we have to distinguish between dramatic posturing and genuine worthwhile debate. There has to be some means of validation if we are to take anything seriously here.

No one should ever be afraid to ask for a link to back up a posters given opinion. And no one should be belittled for expecting a link to be provided.

Refusing to supply a link is at best poor manners.

In my opinion it was irresponsible to post this: "The main Allergan shareholder is now pushing to get the Allergan board sacked if they don't accept the 53 billion dollar offer, if Valent go to 54/55 billion then it will be pushed through and outside of the Botox workers and the new plant when it comes online in a year or so, that will be the end of Allergan." without supplying a Link to back it up.

Now, I'm not going to keep on about it, to be honest I had already let it go, but if my right to request said Link is challenged by you or others, then I will continue to defend it.

:confused: In this internet world Nuac, where any and all opinions are published as black and white fact, Links are all we have to distinguish between dramatic posturing and genuine worthwhile debate. There has to be some means of validation if we are to take anything seriously here.

No one should ever be afraid to ask for a link to back up a posters given opinion. And no one should be belittled for expecting a link to be provided.

In my opinion it was irresponsible to post this: "The main Allergan shareholder is now pushing to get the Allergan board sacked if they don't accept the 53 billion dollar offer, if Valent go to 54/55 billion then it will be pushed through and outside of the Botox workers and the new plant when it comes online in a year or so, that will be the end of Allergan." without supplying a Link to back it up.

Now, I'm not going to keep on about it, to be honest I had already let it go, but if my right to request said Link is challenged by you or others, then I will continue to defend it.

And are you going to say that Covey09 is also irresponsible and childish?
    Your continual requests are making you looking incredibly foolish, as others have now pointed out and we really know the real reason, continue with it if you wish.

You are in fact back seat modding this thread, so best to know when you should be leaving things. There won't be any more warnings.

Why would I say that? The poster has made an articulate and well thought out contribution to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The information you have quoted is readily available and probably common knowledge to anybody with an interest in the topic. It has been widely published in so much as anything has about the topic. As you point out we live in an Internet age. If you put allergan and valeant into Google you can have your pick of links backing up what's being said. Probably everything on the first results page will cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Your continual requests are making you looking incredibly foolish, as others have now pointed out and we really know the real reason, continue with it if you wish.

You are in fact back seat modding this thread, so best to know when you should be leaving things. There won't be any more warnings.

It is not unreasonable to request a link to back up a forum comment. the fact that it is being discussed widely in other places is irrelevant

It is not unreasonable to request a link to back up a forum comment. the fact that it is being discussed widely in other places is irrelevant

While I agree that it's not unreasonable to request a link to back up a forum comment not every comment needs a link.
    The information referred to in this case as the poster said is widely available in many places. It's not one story in one place. It's everywhere the takeover is being discussed.
    If you were to take the request to back up every comment with a link I would have to find a link to back up the statement that the sky is blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Allergan formally rejected a $53 billion offer from Valeant Pharmaceuticals on Tuesday, setting in motion the next phase of what is becoming one of the year’s most protracted takeover battles.

The latest cash-and-stock offer “substantially undervalues” Allergan and “creates significant risks and uncertainties” for its shareholders, the chief executive, David E.I. Pyott, wrote in a letter to Valeant’s chief executive, J. Michael Pearson.

Mr. Pyott also said that Valeant’s latest proposal — $72 in cash and 0.83 of a Valeant share for each share of Allergan — was not even strong enough to merit deal talks.

“In addition, we do not believe your latest proposal offers sufficient or certain value to warrant discussions between Allergan and Valeant,” Mr. Pyott said in the letter.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/allergan-rejects-valeants-53-billion-offer/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

While I agree that it's not unreasonable to request a link to back up a forum comment not every comment needs a link.
    The information referred to in this case as the poster said is widely available in many places. It's not one story in one place. It's everywhere the takeover is being discussed.
    If you were to take the request to back up every comment with a link I would have to find a link to back up the statement that the sky is blue.

Blue eh? prove it!

Blue eh? prove it!

Is a link to NASA good enough.

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/blue-sky/en/

• Advertisement

This is indeed off topic but as I said, if people keep challenging I feel obligated to defend my position.

We infer the sky to be blue through vision, the action of lightwaves upon the cells of our eyes. There is no speculation involved and even if there were, you cannot, as yet, post a link to your eye.

If however you were to state that the sky will be turning green next Saturday, I would like to see a link to judge for myself how accurate your statement is.

If anyone wishes, I am ready to carry on this topic in another thread or forum.

Advertisement