Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

desperately need a job(very important)

Options
  • 04-06-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey everyone,
    I really need to get a job immediately. It is very important that I do so. The reasons are very personal and I'll keep them to myself as this is a public post. All I'll say is I need to leave my home as soon as possible and I need a steady income.

I'm clutching at straws here, I'm desperate. I've applied for so many jobs with no responses or definite answers. My interviews havnt won me jobs despite how well I presented myself. Nobody wants to hire an inexperienced 18 year old. But it is extremely vital for me to earn money. Please, Im literally begging here for help. If you know of anything at all ANYTHING that could give me enough money to support two people in an apartment please contact me. I don't mean to sound needy or whiny, but when you need help you ask for it.
    Thank you kind people for listening

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Voxpro or one of the other call centres are probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

There was on for an accomdation assistant for the Park Inn radission..Have a look at 96fm too, have been searching a while myself thought and tisnt easy out there

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mr. Farewell

Faith wrote: »
    Voxpro or one of the other call centres are probably your best bet.

Is VoxPro a call centre? They're website seems pretty vague

Milly33 wrote: »
    There was on for an accomdation assistant for the Park Inn radission..Have a look at 96fm too, have been searching a while myself thought and tisnt easy out there

They're hiring at 96fm?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No 96 post job notices.

Try pubs and restaurants for kitchen porters perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Are there any agencies near you?

If so, meet them as soon as possible and tell them to consider you for anything.

Worked for me in Oz in 2000!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

If you are in trouble go to the st vincents de paul and ask for help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Fair play to you, if I was in a position to hire someone I would take you on.

I wish you the best of luck, with your work ethic and attitude you should get something soon

Is VoxPro a call centre? They're website seems pretty vague

Yep tis, their website is shocking alright.. They aren't suppose to be the best to work for but if you need something for now perhaps they are the ones. Haha no not 96fm themselves but the job section on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Give the Clarion hotel and other hotels a try.Coming in to summer season now they should all be getting busy.Live at the Marquee starting shortly aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Heard an add that the River Lee Hotel (old Juries) is opening a restaurant and are having walk-in interviews for kitchen staff. You may not have experience but no harm in showing up as perhaps you could get something.

Best of luck though!

Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    Heard an add that the River Lee Hotel (old Juries) is opening a restaurant and are having walk-in interviews for kitchen staff. You may not have experience but no harm in showing up as perhaps you could get something.

Best of luck though!

Loire.
    That would have been perfect, only I'm doing my English paper 2 exam in a few hours.. I saw that it was between 9am-1pm, I just wouldn't have the chance to get into the city and back in time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

That would have been perfect, only I'm doing my English paper 2 exam in a few hours.. I saw that it was between 9am-1pm, I just wouldn't have the chance to get into the city and back in time

Concentrate on your leaving cert for now and come back to the job hunting when you have your mind clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Agreed. I understand you may have financial concerns right now but as an 18 year old job seeker, your Leaving Cert will be your most important bargaining tool for the short term future in securing work. If you do well in your exams, it shows employers that you are intelligent, are able to retain information and apply logic. Studying and preparing for the exams combined with adequate rest and relaxation should be your number one priority right now. Job hunting is stressful enough, don't let it distract you from performing to the best of your abilities in your exams. If you are struggling in terms of food and shelter in the meantime, contact the St Vincent de Paul who hopefully can assist.

Once the exams are over in a couple of short weeks, I recommend you identify every recruitment agency in Cork and register with them. Ensure you have an error proof, well formatted CV and are well dressed (trousers, shoes, shirt and tie) if you are asked to call in. Some of them may have temp assignments covering people on holiday or parental leave in various companies and which may not require prior experience.

Summer season is underway so physically call into every hotel in Cork (don't be just relying on those that have vacancies advertised) and ask to speak to the on duty manager about any roles and show them the enthusiasm and initiative you have shown here. These hotels often may have upcoming posts that they hadn't gotten around to advertising yet. Be well dressed and have copies of your CV to hand.

Best of luck in the exams and the post exam job hunt! :)

I know, I have a lot to be worrying about with exams at the moment. But ideally I want to walk out of the exams and into a job. The sooner I get out there and earning the better.

What are the best employment agencies in cork?

(I think I did quite well in both English papers :))

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Try a pub, they always need people.

yenom wrote: »
    Try a pub, they always need people.
    Are pub wages strong enough to support two people in a city/suburban apartment though?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

If you dont mind me saying , you seem to be looking for a short term solution when you should be focused on your long term future.

Find someone you can trust and talk the situation through with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

oh no is there baby news?
    the river lane bar on blarney street will be taking on one after monday get ur c.v. in there soon,,,like today

oh no is there baby news?
    the river lane bar on blarney street will be taking on one after monday get ur c.v. in there soon,,,like today
    No there is no baby news. We just both live in unsafe home environments. And I really don't appreciate the lack of respect towards my girlfriend climber. You're unaware of the details and gravity of the situation so I hope you retract what you said.

And thanks, I'll have my CV out there as soon as I can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

I feel sorry for your situation, I don't know about many jobs at the moment.Don't worry about exams at the moment you can always repeat just make sure that you are safe, I don't know what you are going through, and it is not my business but could you talk to a community guard, they might point you in the right direction for help, there is lots of people who can help I am sure.

Don't think unless you have a deposit ready to go also you will find anywhere that would pay enough alone that is for a deposit to move. have you tried to contact simon they may be able to help you..

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Best of luck op. Your 18, so do your best but try not to make any rash decisions. Good luck with your future and the lc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

firstly, instead of an apartment, check for house share. Its a lot cheaper.

Secondly, register with agencies for casual work - picking litter up at concerts and other events etc etc. This will start getting you experience.

Think of what you would like to do in terms of a career. Then try and get in at the ground floor. Supermarkets have a great reputation for allowing people progress particulary Tesco.

If you have any hobbies / interests, look at that arae too. e.g. If you are good at football, think of sports related jobs - anythng from lookign after customers in a bookies to working at an astro turf club.

But at the end of the day, you are 18, based on current life expectancy, you are just one fifth of the way through life - basically a baby in the overall scheme of things.

Your advantage is you can take risks as you don't have dependants. Your disadvantage is you have little or no experience.

Don't be afraid to take a job at 8.65/hr - you need experience. My first job (whilst at school) was selling match programmes and I got 5p for each one sold - I earned about £3 for about 3 hours work, I also washed pots in a restaurant - a tenner for 6 hours (this is a long time ago).

But here's the best advice - when you get a job, no matter how much it is paid. Work your socks off and be better than anyone else. Throw ideas about - most won't work or even be considered, but YOU will be noticed. And when an opening appears for promotion, you have a head start becasue you ahave been proactive and quickly enough you're on the way to a decent career.

On the flip side, the worst type of employee is the person who thinks their "boss" is earning too much and who does not repsect those ahead of them. Even if you don't agree with something/someone - just bite your lip and do your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

If it's a job today you need, call into shops ( maybe City centre for starters ) and ask the staff nicely ( when they are available - just suss out who's free ) if there are any jobs going. Some you apply for in the shops/others through a website. But the staff that are working there often have the inside line ( somebody might just have quit or whatever ).

Do that for a few Days and you should get a few interviews or maybe a job with a bit of luck, properly minimum wage. I've often spoken to staff randomly over the Years about jobs or whatever and generally people are very friendly. Keep it to a few minutes as they have jobs to do too.

1] Hi - i'm looking for a job, do you know are there any jobs going ?
    2] Do I apply in store or online ? ( bring a pen and pad with you and take notes - cause you won't remember it all ).
    ( "thanks for your time - l appreciate it" - be pleasant ). The person you're talking might talk to the manager if they think you are ok ( or if not ). If they're a receptionist there be pleasant, talk to them if they engage. HR often ask them after what you were like while you were waiting.
    3] If the application process is instore, ask whats the name of the HR manager and are they around ?
    4] If they're around, are they available. Have your cv on you. Nobody in HR is going to think any less of you for asking to talk to them, they might talk to you ( tell them you're very very keen to get a job - you'll do anything - give them a cv ). If they're busy no harm done in asking. Get their contact number and hopefully when they might be available, ring back and ask for them, leave a message if not available ( or e-mail)
    5] keep trying, be pleasant, approach each shop like it's you're first ( because they don't know any different ).

Cvs/interviews:
    make sure your cv has no typo's - in my experience typo cv's are an automatic toss in the bin.
    Don't lie on your cv.
    The cv should be 1 page with ( in my opinion ) a very brief handwritten coversheet - couple of lines " will do anything " " can start straight away " " will work any hours " " no experience but enthusiastic to learn/work " ( shows enthusiasm - which your cv can't !! ).
    Make sure your telephone number and e-mail are on your cv - you'd be amazed at the number that don't !!
    if you tell HR something make sure it happens, they're trying to decide whether to give you a job or not, it's one strike and you're out.
    Be early for an interview, " I got stuck in traffic " ain't going to get you a job.
    If your early get some material on the company and read it or talk to the staff, don't just sit there like a dummy.

Best of luck to you in your endeavours to get a job and in sorting out your living arrangements.

I really appreciate all the help everyone. It's nice to know people are out there that are helping even though they're not gaining anything from it. I must thank you all very kindly.

My exams are going well, I just have Irish paper 2, history, art and music left. I'll officially be starting my job hunt on the 20th. I'll keep you posted on how they're going. again, thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Kingsley Hotel are recruiting : The Kingsley Hotel will host a recruitment fair on Thursday June 12th at the County Hall between 4pm and 7pm. They're looking to recruit for all areas of the Hotel including;

Chefs: All levels
    Accommodation Manager and Accommodation Associates
    Front Office Agents and Luggage Porters
    Spa and Fitness Associates
    Food and Beverage Supervisor and Associates
    Senior Events Coordinator
    Night Officer
    Best of luck.

I copied this from Facebook - Cork News

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hey guys can we make sure jobs are posted in the job threads sticky above rather than general posts - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

I really appreciate all the help everyone. It's nice to know people are out there that are helping even though they're not gaining anything from it. I must thank you all very kindly.

My exams are going well, I just have Irish paper 2, history, art and music left. I'll officially be starting my job hunt on the 20th. I'll keep you posted on how they're going. again, thanks very much

Stockroom assistant in Mahon Point, interviewing 21-24 June with immediate start.

http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=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

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Eurogiant are opening a new shop in town, they're advertising on jobs.ie for one more sales assistant.

Advertisement