Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pro's and Poetry.

Options
  • 04-06-2014 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Story is, we have a crap teacher and Ive no clue whats going on tomorrow. Got a high D in the mocks. Summer exams and christmas exams before that I was getting low B's.

Would I be okay with learning Banrion an Uagnis for pros? I know teamai but isnt there mothuchain that could come up also? Same applies with Roiteog Mharfach, do I need to learn mothuchain and teamai or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fwiz

Doing my exam tomorrow so hopefully my answer is of use.
    I had never gotten lower than 80% in an Irish exam until the mocks, only because unseen poetry on Paper 2 screwed me, as it did everyone. Ended up getting 72% which was the highest in the class. It's still pretty low for me.
    Anyways, one mothuchain that has been coming up for the past 6 years particularly in the poetry section is Uaigneas. Gra is another big one. The sceal Ive been doing is Calua and the poem is An tOzon, which is a risk in both areas because Calua is about a whale and last year they asked about 'Duine so-and-so' so if you wrote about a whale you'd be wrong, whales aren't people unfortunately :( Hoping it goes my way tomorrow and its just a general mothuchain/teama. Calua has gra and uaigneas though so in all honest its the best one for me to go for. If your sceal can be bent in order to have more than one teama or one mothuchain you're sorted.
    As for the poetry, An tOzon only has a few mothuchain, gra, fearg and bron, and only a few teama, nadur, ordaithe, an domhain. Irish comes naturally to me so most of my answers can be bent and flipped around on the spot to suit the question.
    For Roiteog Mharfach, it is so so SO important that you learn a mothuchain and a teama. More than one if possible. Its just like English, except think of it like an Ordinary Level English question. They want general knowlege and understanding of the poem/sceal you're writing about. They dont want major details. After all its only 15 marks, listening alone is worth 10 marks more than both combined!
    Little hint for the unseen poetry also, answer only one from B and the rest from A. A is always easier. And one of the questions for B will be why you enjoyed the poem. Just talk about a theme or a character you like. Even if you think its wrong, write down EVERYTHING on your mind! you never know, you could get marks :)
    Im just hoping Calua does me wonders, its all me and my friends are riding on, we weren't in for Bidi Early :( Good luck tomorrow, let me know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Fwiz wrote: »
    Doing my exam tomorrow so hopefully my answer is of use.
    I had never gotten lower than 80% in an Irish exam until the mocks, only because unseen poetry on Paper 2 screwed me, as it did everyone. Ended up getting 72% which was the highest in the class. It's still pretty low for me.
    Anyways, one mothuchain that has been coming up for the past 6 years particularly in the poetry section is Uaigneas. Gra is another big one. The sceal Ive been doing is Calua and the poem is An tOzon, which is a risk in both areas because Calua is about a whale and last year they asked about 'Duine so-and-so' so if you wrote about a whale you'd be wrong, whales aren't people unfortunately :( Hoping it goes my way tomorrow and its just a general mothuchain/teama. Calua has gra and uaigneas though so in all honest its the best one for me to go for. If your sceal can be bent in order to have more than one teama or one mothuchain you're sorted.
    As for the poetry, An tOzon only has a few mothuchain, gra, fearg and bron, and only a few teama, nadur, ordaithe, an domhain. Irish comes naturally to me so most of my answers can be bent and flipped around on the spot to suit the question.
    For Roiteog Mharfach, it is so so SO important that you learn a mothuchain and a teama. More than one if possible. Its just like English, except think of it like an Ordinary Level English question. They want general knowlege and understanding of the poem/sceal you're writing about. They dont want major details. After all its only 15 marks, listening alone is worth 10 marks more than both combined!
    Little hint for the unseen poetry also, answer only one from B and the rest from A. A is always easier. And one of the questions for B will be why you enjoyed the poem. Just talk about a theme or a character you like. Even if you think its wrong, write down EVERYTHING on your mind! you never know, you could get marks :)
    Im just hoping Calua does me wonders, its all me and my friends are riding on, we weren't in for Bidi Early :( Good luck tomorrow, let me know how it goes!
    How does Calua have grá in it?

Edit :That sounded a bit hostile.I am actually wondering not trying to poke holes in your reply :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13 auzzue

Eims14 wrote: »
    How does Calua have grá in it?

Edit :That sounded a bit hostile.I am actually wondering not trying to poke holes in your reply :P

Family love, from the mother shouting at calua and Darradú to go under the water before she gets shot by the harpoon. You can probably squeeze in something about love near the end when he's lonely and at the start when they're playing

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Guys is it possible that my poem "Agus me Ocht Mbliana deag" will come up?If it doees am I still allowed to use it for studied poetry? I know for a mock paper "Telifis" my classes other one came up so now Im scared:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fwiz

Fifii if it has been studied in class with your teacher then it may not come up on the paper. This is why most teachers stick to very mainstream poems and stories because the more schools that study them, the less likely the pupils have to worry about it coming up randomly.
    Unfortunately you can't use the same poem that has been given as an unseen. If only :(
    But if worst comes to worst, which I doubt it will, turn to the poem 'Subh Milis'. It's extremely short so one or two quotes is all you'll get out of it, and there are plenty of mothucain and teamai to choose from. It genuinely takes very little time to learn, 45 minutes of cramming maximum, if that's what you're into. That's worst case scenario though, I can assure you that the poem you've studied wont come up. Back ups are always useful. I can't stress how important it is to write down everything that comes to mind during the exam though even if it doesn't sound right.
    Good luck pals <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Prose. Feck sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Fifii wrote: »
    Guys is it possible that my poem "Agus me Ocht Mbliana deag" will come up?If it doees am I still allowed to use it for studied poetry? I know for a mock paper "Telifis" my classes other one came up so now Im scared:(

Teilifis is the only poem i've learned, so if it comes up on the real thing i'm really screwed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 diggeh

Absolutely delighted with how it went yesterday, they both came up!

Advertisement