Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

h2b visa and holiday time

Options
  • 04-06-2014 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

i am applying to work for a month in the usa pretty soon.
    we have the visa sorted, just waiting on final approval, but i cant find info on taking a holiday for a week or so after the work is done.

my employment lasts until the 17th but my missus and i plan on getting married in vegas when i finish work and taking 2 weeks break in sandiego.

she will be travelling separately on the VWP so there shouldnt be an issue with her travel.
    but since my work ends on the 17th and i cant stay longer than my visa permission but do they stamp you for exactly as long as you work or give you little leeway on travel time like a set 30/60/90 day duration?

we are only staying for a short holiday but i dont want to get any black marks as this work will be a yearly job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Not sure, to be honest. Presumably as there's someone sponsering the visa and so on, they should have an idea. I'd imagine if you've got return flights booked there should be some way of doing it, but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

i am applying to work for a month in the usa pretty soon.
    we have the visa sorted, just waiting on final approval, but i cant find info on taking a holiday for a week or so after the work is done.

my employment lasts until the 17th but my missus and i plan on getting married in vegas when i finish work and taking 2 weeks break in sandiego.

she will be travelling separately on the VWP so there shouldnt be an issue with her travel.
    but since my work ends on the 17th and i cant stay longer than my visa permission but do they stamp you for exactly as long as you work or give you little leeway on travel time like a set 30/60/90 day duration?

we are only staying for a short holiday but i dont want to get any black marks as this work will be a yearly job.

Congrats, but I wouldn't be telling immigration that you plan on getting married over there. They tend to start thinking scam even if there isn't one. I'd leave that out and just say that you want to have a holiday after your work and spend money there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Congrats, but I wouldn't be telling immigration that you plan on getting married over there. They tend to start thinking scam even if there isn't one. I'd leave that out and just say that you want to have a holiday after your work and spend money there.

I get the impression that his missus is Irish and just going out for the wedding + holiday. In that case there is no need to be worried about immigration.

@ OP I know when my visa ended I had 30 days to leave the country., I'm not sure if the time is the same for all visa types. There has to be some time as if you leave your job or are fired etc you can't just up and leave the next day. I've been back via the VWP since with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

yeah, both of us are european so the marriage wont affect the visa. just info on the trip.

i cant find anythin which tells me definitely the duration of the visa, but ive herd from a few anecdotal sources that there is some time at thre end of it. im hoping so or its going to kill our plans.

im wondering if i should complete an esta now even tho im going on a work permit.

Advertisement