Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places similar to The Workman's Club

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Surprised no mention yet for downstairs Bruxelles, tarted up a bit in recent times but still a decent spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Bateman wrote: »
    Surprised no mention yet for downstairs Bruxelles, tarted up a bit in recent times but still a decent spot

The metal bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Pretty cramped downstairs in Bruxelles if its anyway busy.

Dorans was fun,always ran into someone you knew.Downstairs was a kip but the dancefloor was great craic.Pizza from DiFontaines before heading home was handy as well.

Isaac Butt was quality back in 19 o splash.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It guess it was OK if you were 16 and had an incredibly obviously fake ID, or if you'd drank a 700 mL bottle of vodka before heading out and couldn't get in anywhere else.

Otherwise I couldn't see much reason in going there.

Eamonn Dorans is probably the worst bar I've ever had the misfortune to set foot in. A dank dirty kip with ****ty staff and even worse beer and owned by a w*nker to boot.

Bruxelles used to be good up until about 10 years ago.. the downstairs bars were great fun. Not so much now and the upstairs bar is populated by tourists mostly. I think its always been a victim of its popularity vs its relatively small size too.

Whelan's has changed a lot. The music they play now is aimed to get a much more mainstream crowd in the door it can be good some nights, but others like a few Thursdays ago I could have been in club M for the dross they were playing.

Can I suggest for a nice bar with great music and a good vibe.. check out the Dice bar.. I little bit out of the way but only 4 minutes from Abbey St on the Luas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Strumms wrote: »
    Can I suggest for a nice bar with great music and a good vibe.. check out the Dice bar.. I little bit out of the way but only 4 minutes from Abbey St on the Luas.

A great bar. Loads of fun, great music. Lovely crowd.

Strumms wrote: »
    Eamonn Dorans is probably the worst bar I've ever had the misfortune to set foot in. A dank dirty kip with ****ty staff and even worse beer and owned by a w*nker to boot.

Bruxelles used to be good up until about 10 years ago.. the downstairs bars were great fun. Not so much now and the upstairs bar is populated by tourists mostly. I think its always been a victim of its popularity vs its relatively small size too.

Whelan's has changed a lot. The music they play now is aimed to get a much more mainstream crowd in the door it can be good some nights, but others like a few Thursdays ago I could have been in club M for the dross they were playing.

It's a generation thing I suppose - how old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Dice Bar doesn't look great to me, I walk by it fairly regularly and have only gone in once or twice. Seems popular enough I suppose.

People talk about Bruxelles being full of tourists like it's a bad thing. It's not, not automatically anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I suppose it's sister bar at The Garage. Equally as filthy and expensive, and also similar music. Bernard Shaw has the same kind of people, but doesn't open late. Whelan's is equally enjoyable, but they charged a €10er at the door last time I was there, which is farcical.

It's a real shame that Workman's employed that stupid baldy bouncer. Seems like he's a bit power happy, consistently preventing people from entering with stupid reasoning. Be aware of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Try the chancery

• Advertisement

Dice Bar is over-rated in my opinion.

There's Sweeneys on Dame Street if you enjoy a more crusty atmosphere

Advertisement