Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Irish people shopping in Polish food shops?

Options
  • 04-06-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭

Just wondering with so many Polish Shops around if anyone has popped in & more importantly if you do, what recommendations have you ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I just know the Jaffa Cakes are like our old ones, size of UFO's and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Where are these Polish shops? Are the cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

You'll find the shops in every town - the name of one that comes to mind is something like Polonez

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's a Netto in Tyrellstown which is Polish - apparently their cured meats are really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I get baking ingredients (yeast, sprinkles, cake flour), various rice cakes, fancy cordials (black cherry, strawberry, raspberry [which is basically grenadine but for €2), milka chocolate & sweets. Also bread sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I get baking ingredients (yeast, sprinkles, cake flour), various rice cakes, fancy cordials (black cherry, strawberry, raspberry [which is basically grenadine but for €2), milka chocolate & sweets. Also bread sometimes

Polenta is very cheap in Polish shops.
    I also liked dry Karowiski? sausage but it's usually a bit cheaper in supermarkets than Polish shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

There is an excellent one in Drogheda, on the quays. I like the smoked chicken, cured meats, gherkins, pickles and sauerkraut. They have a great selection plus it's excellent value. I picked up a jar of vine leaves for the BBQ for €1.25. I also love the really thick and rich buttermilk for making brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Andip wrote: »
    There's a Netto in Tyrellstown which is Polish - apparently their cured meats are really good
    I thought Netto was a Danish chain of discount supemarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

Wild boar kabanosy nom nom!(sausage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Do any Irish people work in Polish shops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Do any Irish people work in Polish shops?

I've never seen any.
    Usually hot, sour girls work in Polish shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

pickles, gherkins, dried sausage is excellent. I probably should buy more than that, but I rarely do!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

I buy flours and grains from them. They also usually have a better selection of Milka bars than other shops if that's your thing.

At Christmas I bought a gingerbread biscuit kit from the one in Rathmines. Packet mix was cheap, instructions were easily translated online and it came with a free Christmas themed cookie cutter. Turned out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I sometimes get smoked ham, it is lovely. Bread. baking stuff and drinks, some really lovely ones like apple and blackberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Alun wrote: »
    I thought Netto was a Danish chain of discount supemarkets?

In the UK Netto are a basic discount store and I'd agree I think they are Danish owned, but the local one is pure Polish - even the open closed is in Polish. Shelves are lined with cured products and the distinctive carrot juice mixes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

There is a cash and carry style warehouse in Artane beside Lidl.

Really good value and a great selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Andip wrote: »
    In the UK Netto are a basic discount store and I'd agree I think they are Danish owned, but the local one is pure Polish - even the open closed is in Polish. Shelves are lined with cured products and the distinctive carrot juice mixes.
    Netto also operate in Poland, so maybe it's just an attempt to grab the attention of the Polish customers, despite having nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

Hi,
    You can check product range, shops locations and some prices online:

mrozdublin.com
    polonez.ie
    sklepwisla.com
    polostores.net

What I would recommend to try, for start:
    Range of cheese - much more milky and much less fat (use on sandwich, panini or pizza)
    Pickles and marinades - excellent as side dish for dinner
    Sausage - Dry sausage like ''Krakowska/Krakauer'' or ''Kabanosy'' for sandwitch, and other sausages for bbq (summer time is comming), hot water or microwave preparation (lunch at work).
    Smoked meat - Ham, bacon, pork steak, gammon
    Don't forget mustard - tasty, and not so hot as english mustard
    Bread - but in my opinion for now the best ''heavy'' bread you can buy now in Lidl - ,,Country bread'', just set slicer on 11mm.
    Enjoy your meal!

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Ive been in the one in coolmine a few times, their meat is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭steve66

Hello from carlow.
    Unemployed, always looking for bargains.
    3 polish shops I frequent+1 shop run by lithunians.
    Two of the polish shops, i believe deal in the main with polish food.
    The other polish shop and the lithunian one have food from various easterm
    european countries.
    Someone mentioned hot sour girls. Well.one of these shops has at least one girl who comes across as rather sour. Although I have seen her smile on the odd occassion. I don't find her particularly hot though. Of the other two shops, one in particular has some lovely and friendly polish girls working there. I'm lucky to have become quiet frienldy with some of them.
    Stuff I would buy.
    fruit. For instance I got 12 apples for 1.60.
    Now Aldi had 8 apples for 49 cents, or whatever it was.
    But I like the soft apples, which the polish ones are.
    I would imagine they are sweeter too.
    When I look for plums, and other fruit it's the polish shops, or the shop run by lithunians I go to first. I've gotten some lovely juicy plums, and other fruit.
    In at least some if the shops, some of the fruit will go down in price . So plums that may cost 20 cents each first, may cost 8 cents 3 days later.
    I love the plain danio yogurts, and the ones with the choclate bits in them.
    Then there are the lovely sweets with plums inside them.
    There are also these little bars which can be a mixture of choclate and cheese. or jelly bits and cheese, or vanilla and cheese. Although once again, I'm not quiet sure if this is a polish food, as thinking about it now, the two shops I get these in, are the lithunan one, and the one displaying foods from different countries. Well, the lithunia one does too.
    I have this theory, that they put a mixture of healthy and unhealthy food together eg plums inside cholate, choclate and cheese
    I also get the impression, that their fizzy drinks have less gas, than say something like 7 up, or coke.
    As for meat, well I don't eat red meat. so usually I just buy the cold chicken slices, which is nicer, than what you would get in tescos. But I believe they use more salt. it's also cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Hi Steve, thanks for your input. We do ask that people not bump threads that are more than ~6 months old, as they become outdated. If you'd like to start a new discussion, feel free to start a new thread. I'm closing this thread now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement