Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nitro Helmets

• 04-06-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have a Nitro F341 flip up helmet and find the wind noise awful, even when wearing Earpeace pear plugs. Anyone any experience with Nitro helmets, are they all quite loud?

I was looking to replace it wth a Caberg Tourmax soon but I'm worried the peak will add drag and wind noise too. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I have a Nitro F341 flip up helmet and find the wind noise awful, even when wearing Earpeace pear plugs. Anyone any experience with Nitro helmets, are they all quite loud?

I was looking to replace it wth a Caberg Tourmax soon but I'm worried the peak will add drag and wind noise too. Any opinions?

Nitro helmets are entry level helmets and you get what you pay for. First helmet I bought was a nitro, before I knew better!

There is a pretty thorough review of it below, it will be definitely quieter than the nitro regardless.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/caberg-tourmax/review.htm
    Yet another surprise is the low noise levels I have experienced when wearing the Tourmax. I thought maybe the peak or flip-up parts would add some noise, but overall, the helmet is relatively quiet around the top and sides.

There is some noise that comes from the wind moving around the bottom part of the helmet below and behind my ears, but this is probably due to the slight mis-match between my head shape and the internal shape of the helmet. Also, this should be helped by the increased cheek pad thickness on the production helmets.

The peak has good aerodynamics with minimal buffeting or turbulence, so no problems to report there either. But, as with any dual-sport or off-road helmet with a peak, you probably won't want to ride at high speeds for very long. It's just the nature of the design.

Overall, I rate the Tourmax as quieter than expected, with very good noise control.

I am in the market for a flip up helmet as well, just haven't narrowed the list down yet. There are a few members here with flip ups that might help us decide and I also want a quite helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I had a Nitro Aikido for a good while when I started biking. Five star rating and all too. I upgraded to a Schuberth SR1 four times it's price, and to be honest Aikido was not too bad in comparison.

Nitro Aikido was noisy. After about 18 months of daily use, it started letting water in around the top of the visor, but the real reason I changed it was because it became very lose around my head. It was starting to move around especially when I do lifesavers on the motorway.

Much expensive SR1 had a better fit, clearer visor, better controllable airflow, way more stable on motorways (less drag & buffeting) and much quieter of course. Eighteen months later SR1 still fits almost as well as day one. But for the price I still don't think Nitro Aikido was a bad helmet - and it's dirt cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've a nolan N103, I think for the price it's well worth it €218 on fc moto. Newer vesrsion is the N104 which is more expensive (€259).
    A few times I've tried on the Shoei and Schubert flip ups, but at over double the price I can't justify the extra cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

When I was at the Birmingham NEC I wanted to get the Shoei Nanotec, its a quality piece of kit but its a premium price. Plus you cant actually ride with the flip up as it sits like a welders mask just about the eyebrows so to speak. With the Evolin 3 you can ride it at any speed open or shut, its extremely comfortable (EXTREME) and the viewing is top notch. In built sun visor too. Its a little noisy but all open face helmets are more noisy then non flip up.

I ended up with the shark evoline 3 which for the price €400 online is steep but I got mine for €245 at the NEC show with a harsh bit of hagling.

Only negative I can say about the helmet is that its soooo not made for riding fast.....SERIOUS WIND BUFFET at warp speeds, Fine just north of motorway speeds.

Advertisement