Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Installed Airtricity Prepaid meter

Options
  • 05-06-2014 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

So, we just had one of these installed yesterday to manage our power bills a bit better. During the installation, the engineer was explaining that if I managed to run out of credit out of business hours, that it would not cut off the power until 9am on the next working day.

I was watching the installation, and I did not notice him set date/time on the new meter. I asked him how the meter knows what time it is! He said he actually didn't know, but it does!!!

My question is, does anyone have a clue how this meter, which is connected to nothing other than the electric network, know what time or date it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

I did think it a little strange that the engineer had no idea. Thought he might have known. Not a problem I had with him tho, he was a sound auld skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

My question is, does anyone have a clue how this meter, which is connected to nothing other than the electric network, know what time or date it is?

The meter is connected to the mobile phone network (in order to communicate with the SSE to validate the codes entered) and the time signal is available on that network.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I have one of these too, you plug it in anywhere in the house and it knows your usage.

Always wonder how it works like does it send a signal to the Meter outside and they relay info back and forth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I have one of these too, you plug it in anywhere in the house and it knows your usage.

Always wonder how it works like does it send a signal to the Meter outside and they relay info back and forth?

Did you install it yourself?

Did you install it yourself?

No I didn't!

It's a PAYG Meter that the ESB installed themselves.

You buy vouchers and top it up, it shows your current usage, bills, remaining credit etc.

• Advertisement

It moniters your incoming supply, are you living in apartment, house?

I live in a house.

It's a Meter the ESB provide and you top it up when credit is low instead of getting a bimonthly bill.

I'm just wonder how the Meter inside and the one outside talk to each other?

I'm just wonder how the Meter inside and the one outside talk to each other?

Do they though?

Do they though?

It's 3am in the morning... I'm tired... :rolleyes:

I mean how do they communicate with one another?

I type in a code and the Meter can tell if it's valid, how does it do that, it's simply connected to the mains.

I type in a code and the Meter can tell if it's valid, how does it do that, it's simply connected to the mains.

Why do you keep thinking the 2 meters communicate? yes i know its 3am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

When someone with a pre pay phone tops up with a code, how do you think it knows the code is valid? After all, its not physically connected to anything.

Advertisement