Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blessington Triathlon

Options
  • 05-06-2014 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I was thinking of entering the olympic race the weekend after next. Anyone have any info on this event? They dont seem to have much of an online presence. As far as I know its in aid of down syndrome Kildare. Its advertised on triathlon ireland and irishtriathlon websites.

As this is the first year of the event I am a bit wary of registering and its a 2 hour drive!

Any course info would be appreciated. Also is there a tri club involved in the running of this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭aidanor

Info here, http://kildaredownsyndrome.thecroftcave.net

And you sign up at www.sportstiming.ie

I signed up for the sprint, not too far from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

I signed up for the spint as well.

Did anyone get an email with wave times or anything like that? The website is a little bare on details.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

I havent registered yet but probably will sign up for the olympic this evening. I'd say it will be one wave for each distance although they may just start everyone together. I'm oly guessing. The lack of info out there makes me a bit sceptical about this race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Had targeted this one as my first tri race of the season
    It been relatively close to me got my attention
    However with scant info on event I'll be waving it wide

A long bike and OW swim on Sat, with long mountain run Sun will serve me better I think

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Looking to enter this - but information a bit sparse. Anyone have any insights on the organisers or into how well this might be run ?

• Advertisement

They have a Facebook page which states that entry closes on Thursday and then emails will be sent with race briefing, wave information..etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

I know the organisers personally and all is well above board if that puts anyones mind at ease

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

Lots more info on the kildare down syndrome site now (cant post a link). I'll be entering the olympic today as all looks good from an organisational and course perspective. I was hesitant to enter as its a bit of a journey for me and its over €50 to enter so wanted to make sure I wouldnt arrive at a half arsed gaa style athletics event!!. Seems like a scenic area for a Tri so looking forward to doing it now. Hopefully the weather will play ball and a decent crowd turns up.

Best of luck to all

Initial details etc. looked very light. But glad that myself and my buddy have entered - so looking forward to it (especially if the weather Gods shine down).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

There's a few from our club have entered this. In for the sprint; I'm hoping for a decent swim, followed by a solid bike, followed by a run spent looking nervously over my shoulder;)

• Advertisement

Has anybody recieved an email on wave starts? Registration open times?

aidanor wrote: »

Yes, got an email with race details, maps, swim competence form, etc; two days ago. I have to say it all looks well thought-out.

secretary@kildaredownsyndrome.ie is the contact email for further details, you might want to try them (or PM me your email address and I'll forward the attachments).

Nope no email received either

(From email)

Blessington Triathlon Race Briefing.

Introduction.
    This event takes place on Sunday 15th June, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. It is a new event to the triathlon calendar. Please print and bring the signed screening / waiver form and your Triathlon Ireland Full or One Day Licence with photo ID for full members.

Directions:
    For participants coming from the greater Dublin area and within the M1, M2, M3, M4 and M6 catchment. Take the M50 to junction 12 and travel south on the N81 to Blessington.
    For participants in the N7/M7/M8 catchment, exit the M7 at junction 9 or 10 and proceed to Naas. From Naas take the R410 to Blessington.
    For participants from the south/east take the M9/N11 and N80 to Tullow and on towards Blessington. From Blessington take the N81 for 2 km south towards Baltinglass/Tullow. Turn left onto the R758 signposted Valleymount. Travel approximately 4 km to the event location at Blessington sailing club.

Car Park/Registration:
    Access to the sailing club is via a narrow public road off the R758. The car park is at the end of this lane on the right hand side. You will be directed accordingly. Registration will take place in the club house from 7.30-9.30 a.m. on race day.

Transition area:
    The transition area will be located in front of the club house and adjacent to the lake. Only competitors can enter transition area. We have specifically set out to keep the distance from swim to cycle to run as short as possible. Transition is fully neutralised with two rows of racking one for the Sprint event, one for the Olympic. No bags of any description can be placed in transition; there will be
    a bag drop of area. Bicycles can be freely placed.

Race Briefing:
    This event is run in accordance with the ITU competition rules and TI’s Manual of GuildanceThe race day briefing for all competitors will take place at 9:45 at the lakeside. It is intended that the Olympic event will commence at 10:00 and the Sprint event at 10:30.
    Swim: (wetsuit is compulsory)
    The Olympic swim is as follows: Straight out (east) 475m, left (north) 275m, left (west) 100m, left
    (south) 275m, right (west) 375m. The Sprint swim will be an out and back 375m in each direction.

Cycle: (see attached map)
    A 20km course consisting of R758, N81 and local roads. All corners will be marshalled and the course will be way marked. Maps will be posted in registration and transition.

Run: (see attached map)
    On local county roads, the Olympic competitors will run a 3km approx. section twice.

Finish
    Competitors should note that showers will be available at the club house. The event organisers will provide water, energy drinks, fruit and other solids at the end of the event for all competitors.

Prize giving
    Equal overall prizes for male and female competitors will be awarded. 1 prize will be awarded where there is 3-7 competitors, 2 prizes 8-12 competitors and 3 prizes where there are 13+ competitors.
    There will also be 3 age categories prizes (17-34, 35-49 and 50+) in each event and subject to the above limits. Finally, no competitor can win more than 1 prize.

This was a really, really well organised event, for a first running. Water was cold but a great place to swim in Blessington lake. The bike route was fast in places, slow and technical in others, and very well marshalled. Ditto the run, a few hills to negotiate but a nice fast downhill finish. Theres a couple of things they could improve on the swim (out-and-back around a single bouy means out meets back with face smashing consequences!) but overall it was something to recommend. Very good atmosphere, I'd say this will be popular next year when word of mouth spreads.

Very well organised, really enjoyed the race, I found the run quite hilly but still enjoyed it a lot, will defiantly be doing it next year, decent turn out too. Agree with the out and back swim.. Water was nice thou. Overall great event!

Very well organised, really enjoyed the race, I found the run quite hilly but still enjoyed it a lot, will defiantly be doing it next year, decent turn out too. Agree with the out and back swim.. Water was nice thou. Overall great event!

Yep. Great event. Some minor issues which could be improved - but a great race, great day and well organised. Really looking forward to next year - bit hope this year's participants get 1st option on places as reckon it will get a lot of attention next year.

Well done to all involved.

While in the water I'm sure I saw a guy wearing what looked like those webbed gloves.. Surely they are not allowed! Anybody ales see this guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

While in the water I'm sure I saw a guy wearing what looked like those webbed gloves.. Surely they are not allowed! Anybody ales see this guy?

Alot of inbreding in Wicklow. Could have just been a deformity.

Advertisement