Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tricep pain....

• 05-06-2014 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I've been doing tricep overhead extensions and today shortly after I started them I felt a pain in my left tricep. The pain sensation felt like the tricep was being torn slightly. I lowered the weight and engaged the assisting muscles and was able to power through without any pain, but there was still noticeable discomfort.

I would class it as a very mild pain but I don't want to do any further damage. Any tips on the best way forward with this?

As someone who can't even do a pull-up yet I don't know what tricep exercises are available to me besides the overhead extensions, but I don't feel they are good for a beginner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

For future reference a sudden pain in one side is bad, and not something you should ignore.

If the pain isn't so bad it affects your work or anything like that, just rest up for a while and then start back at a sensible weight. If the pain is really bad, or it doesn't go away after a week or two, go see a physio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The overhead extension hits the long head of the tricep and most exercises for the long head will be variants of the same thing: skullcrushers, DB overhead extensions, etc.

You don't have to break it down to that level though....you could try the likes of dips and kickbacks.

But it sounds like you just went too heavy on the overhead extensions in the first place. I wouldn't rule them out just yet. After resting the triceps to make sure there's no pain, go back and do them at the lower weight or see if you can go up one step and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If your gym has a cable machine you can do cable tricep extensions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtXRSGwe_WY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Don't ever "power through" pain and discomfort. Know the difference between pushing yourself and hurting yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Thanks for the info and advice everyone. I'll rest the triceps for during the next workout and see how they are after that. I'll give the cable extensions a go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if your muscles are sore even 2 days after a workout should you power through or rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if your muscles are sore even 2 days after a workout should you power through or rest?

I read online on a "reputable" source that working out with DOMS is not only okay but it can also help relieve the soreness.

I also read the exact opposite on another "reputable" source.

From what I gather, this would be my third-hand advice:
    Assuming you are 100% certain that the pain is DOMS and it's not muscle strain, and at least 48 hours have passed since your last workout, then you could begin the workout with caution and see how you feel during it. If the pain gets worse then stop, and stretch, but if it eases up then complete the workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'd be asking the question why are you targeting the same muscle group after 2 days. I normally get DOMS 48 hours after a workout anyway, the day after is the calm before the storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Yeah you can. Make sure you do your dynamic stretching beforehand and do some static stretching + foam roll after if you have one.

Advertisement