Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 unresponsive after update to 7.1.1

• 05-06-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

The brother-in-law updated his 5 to 7.1.1 the other week, but since then it's been fairly unresponsive. It'll take half a dozen swipes to unlock the screen, letters/numbers don't appear once tapped, etc.

He's on an 18 month contract with 5 months left, and the phone is 13 months old...and immaculate btw.

He's under the impression that he's stuck with it as it is, as Apple won't fix it since it's over 12 months old. But surely if a firmware update messes up your device, it should be up to the manufacturer to sort it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Get him to try a factory reset and see if that changes anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah, tried that. Even set it up as a new phone as opposed to restoring from a backup.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thats weird, I would get onto Apple as I seen somewhere on their site before that its 2 year warrenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

same thing happened to me a a few months ago, apple wouldn't do anything as they say phone is out of warranty after a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Thats weird, I would get onto Apple as I seen somewhere on their site before that its 2 year warrenty.

Apple warranty is one year. After that the problem lies with wherever the phone was bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

You've posted that link in 3 or 4 threads. First column is consumer law, second Apple hardware warranty and third is AppleCare plan. Look at subsection 2 to find consumer law after a year applies to the retailer not apple

guil wrote: »
    Apple warranty is one year. After that the problem lies with wherever the phone was bought.

Even though it was an official update from Apple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Soarer wrote: »
    Even though it was an official update from Apple?

Yes. Where did he buy the phone? It's upto them to repair, refund or replace it.

guil wrote: »
    Yes. Where did he buy the phone? It's upto them to repair, refund or replace it.

He got it from 3 on a 24 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Given that it's unresponsive have you a) tried to reset all settings or b) backup and restore the phone?

Yeah, have tried that.

When it's finished restoring, it works grand for a while. But then the longer it's left on, the worse it gets. It's as if there's clogging up the system resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Soarer wrote: »
    Yeah, have tried that.

When it's finished restoring, it works grand for a while. But then the longer it's left on, the worse it gets. It's as if there's clogging up the system resources.

That it seems to get better after a restore suggests software/firmware.

Has it been restored from backup or as a new phone? If the former then try restoring as a new phone.

If the latter then I can only assume an app is causing it to lock up. Try installing them one by one and see when it starts to struggle. Annoying way to do it I know but what can you do?

He restored it from an old backup on his pc and it went sluggish.
    I restored it as a new phone on my pc and it went sluggish.

When I restored it, it seemed to work grand for a while. The following morning, I checked it. The Weather app wanted access to location services, and it literally took me 8 touches of the OK button for it to work.

Advertisement