Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS Settings changes recommended to customers

Options
  • 05-06-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm an eircom customer on efibre and I've had issues over the last week with devices not resolving websites. 
    Eircom notified me that there is a known issue with their DNS servers. So if you are finding that you are able to open some websites and not others (perhaps some are cached), then perform the following changes on your router:

Instructions for eircom F1000 router. Vary the instructions per your router if you have something different:

1. Login to your router (192.168.1.254). (default password is your router key)
    2. On the menu at the bottom, choose Network Settings and pick the Home Networking sub menu item
    3. Scroll to the bottom and change the DNS from dynamic to static
    4. Change the settings there as follows:
    DNS Server 1: 213.94.190.194
    DNS Server 2: 213.94.190.236

BTW, I didn't find anything on boards or other forum about this. I wished they had told me proactively rather than having to call in myself if it's a known issue. 
    Better still, roll out the changes centrally if that's possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

rfallon wrote: »
    I'm an eircom customer on efibre and I've had issues over the last week with devices not resolving websites. 
    Eircom notified me that there is a known issue with their DNS servers. So if you are finding that you are able to open some websites and not others (perhaps some are cached), then perform the following changes on your router:

Instructions for eircom F1000 router. Vary the instructions per your router if you have something different:

2. On the menu at the bottom, choose Network Settings and pick the Home Networking sub menu item

BTW, I didn't find anything on boards or other forum about this. I wished they had told me proactively rather than having to call in myself if it's a known issue. 
    Hi rfallon

Many thanks for taking the time to post this up here. I've also passed on your feedback to online operations and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

What does it mean to have a static DNS?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 ventriloquist

Thank you for sharing this rfallon. I have a D1000 Eircom router and Eircom engineer suggested that I try Google DNS as follows Primary 8.8.8.8 Secondary 8.8.8.4. I changed these on the Network Setting,Broadband page but it did not help - still unable to load RTE.ie,Independent.ie,Yr.no on Chrome, IE8, Firefox.
    I have tried your suggested DNS settings also without success.Have tried re-booting router,switching parental control on/off,switching off all firewalls, disabling anti-virus,etc. all to no avail.
    Am I missing something here - the option of a static IP address is on the Home Networking page but my (limited) understanding is that our IP addresses are dynamic unless we elect to pay Eircom for a static address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

This is still an issue. Going on for a couple of weeks now. What's being done about it?

Also changing the DNS does nothing for me. Following the instructions above still shows the DNS settings under 'Wan Network' as 159.134.0.1 & 159.134.0.2.

Is that wrong or am I misunderstanding? Either way the DNS is still not working properly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 ventriloquist

Based on advice I received from an IT colleague - Thanks John - I did a hard reset of the D1000 modem this morning using a paper clip on side of modem (with power light on steady hold in reset switch until power light blinks) and all web sites are currently reachable including yr.no,RTE,Independent.ie,etc.

• Advertisement

Hi All

Many thanks for posting the advice above. While the advice could prove helpful some of the advised steps/actions may well be user specific and in consideration of this I would highly recommend contacting our technical support department for assistance with this first.

Technical support can be contacted on 1890260260 however you can also reach them on out web chat facility here:
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]http://www.eircom.net/about/contact/[/font]

Thanks
    Al

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Same issue for the past week or so, maybe longer.  Changed my DNS addresses today to the OpenDNS ones and the problem seems to be resolved.

While I expect the odd glitch every so often, for a known problem like this to be going on for weeks is pretty poor.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Same issue for the past week or so, maybe longer.  Changed my DNS addresses today to the OpenDNS ones and the problem seems to be resolved.

While I expect the odd glitch every so often, for a known problem like this to be going on for weeks is pretty poor.
    Hi PauloMN

I'm glad to hear the issues have been resolved, I'll make sure your feedback reached operations.

Thanks
    Al

Alan, can you tell us what's going on please? What's being done to solve this? What's the time frame for it being sorted? Passing feedback on is only of use to use if it leads to a resolution, which it hasn't thus far. This is going on a couple of weeks now.

Without wishing to be rude, we're paying for a service that's only intermittently working. The onus shouldn't be on us to be calling in for endlessly long phone calls, trying the same old troubleshooting steps we've already done prior to calling in. If it's a DNS problem surely that's something that needs to be sorted on your end?

brophs wrote: »
    Alan, can you tell us what's going on please? What's being done to solve this? What's the time frame for it being sorted? Passing feedback on is only of use to use if it leads to a resolution, which it hasn't thus far. This is going on a couple of weeks now.

Without wishing to be rude, we're paying for a service that's only intermittently working. The onus shouldn't be on us to be calling in for endlessly long phone calls, trying the same old troubleshooting steps we've already done prior to calling in. If it's a DNS problem surely that's something that needs to be sorted on your end?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi brophs

DNS issues are being treated on a case by case basis as there could be specific reasons for issues experienced. I can understand your disappointment and apologise if you have been experiencing issues. At present the above information and steps advised do help however I would advise following these instructions if you are experiencing these issues:

• [font=Times New Roman","serif]Network settings[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Then[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Home network[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Then go to[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]Change DNS settings to “Static”[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Then change DNS settings to[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]DNS Server 1:  213.94.190.194[/font]
    • [font=Times New Roman","serif]DNS Server 2:  213.94.190.236[/font]
    [*]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I will not be able to offer details on internal investigations or plans but the above approch should help with some DNS issues experienced.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

There is some confusion going on......There are no issues with the EIRCOM DNS Servers 159.134.0.1 or 159.134.0.2. If users are having issues it's most likely due to the in-built DNS proxy on the modem. It will be better to specify the DNS server IPs on the modem as per the steps above (specifying the IPs as Static DNS server IPs actually bypasses the modems DNS proxy and assigns the 159.234.0.X DNS Server IPs directly to you internal clients) However use the correct DNS Server IP address 159.134.0.1 and 159.134.0.2. There is a huge misconception the Google or OpenDNS provide faster DNS resolution Vs EIRCOMs DNS Servers...Your ISPs DNS Servers will always be quicker as they sit much closer from network point of view and therefore quicker response times. OpenDNS Servers are located in London and a Google I'm not sure but most likely some place remote as well. Another important reason to stay with your ISP DNS Servers is that for larger websites like Microsoft, Cisco etc. they provide their data via CDN "Content Delivery Network" which is 100% based on DNS resolution. CDN relies on the IP address of the DNS resolver instead of the client when resolving DNS requests, it can incorrectly geo-locate a client if the client is using Google for their DNS server, which can create latency problems. Initially, Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS addresses geo-located to California, potentially far from the location of the requesting client.
    EIRCOM DNS servers will connect you to the closest and fastest CDN web servers... Most likely located in Ireland and not 1/2 way round the world....therefore much quicker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rfallon

When a DNS server is dynamic, the provider can change it to whatever they want it to be. When it's static, you specify what it is and it never changes. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 30 V6DEC

Yes, I agree. 
    However what is more important though is that the DNS behaviour of the modem also changes. By default Dynamic enables the modem as a DNS Proxy (The DNS server handed to your PC is the modems IP address 192.168.1.254). When you specify the DNS server IPs as Static entries in the modem the DNS proxy is disabled and the DNS server IPs handed to your PC are 159.134.0.1 and 159.134.0.2 not the modems IP.
    You can check this by running ipconfig on your PC to view the current DNS server IP and then change the modem DNS Static|Dynamic restart the PC and modem rerun ipconfig and compare the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Having this problem too. The static DNS fix was no help. 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,516 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Having the same problem, but the static DNA thing seems to have worked, I will come back and complain if it doesn't!

looksee wrote: »
    Having the same problem, but the static DNA thing seems to have worked, I will come back and complain if it doesn't!
    Hi looksee

I'm glad to hear the advice mentioned here helped but it's still best to contact technical support as there are many issues which can be user specific.

Hope it holds up though do let me know if there is anything I can help with

Al

This was happening again last night. Don't know if it still is as I'm out at work.

So having called in to support last time, when they changed the dns setting, I prefer not to have to go through the process again. Is this part of the same issue or something different? And if it hasn't been already when is it going to he fixed (again)?

Having this problem too. The static DNS fix was no help.
    Hi Christ the Redeemer

Please follow the below Instructions for eircom F1000 router. If you have a different router let me know.

1. Login to your router (192.168.1.254). (default password is your router key)

Primary DNS: 159.134.0.1
    Secondary DNS: 159.134.0.2

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but my folks recently got the D1000 router and it was having the same issue, couldn't access sites like eircom (ironically), tumblr, twitter would not function correctly, sky etc. Anyway the fix for us was to disable UPnP. Not a great solution and it's pretty shocking that this issue is still happening.

Benzino wrote: »
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but my folks recently got the D1000 router and it was having the same issue, couldn't access sites like eircom (ironically), tumblr, twitter would not function correctly, sky etc. Anyway the fix for us was to disable UPnP. Not a great solution and it's pretty shocking that this issue is still happening.
    Hi Benzino

Very sorry to hear this, if you contact eircoms technical support department they will be able to resolve this for you without disabling UPnP. You can reach them on freephone 1901 or via WebChat here: www.eircom.ie/chatnow

Again, apologies for the inconvenience this really should not have occurred but if there's anything else I can help with please feel free to post here.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement