Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laptop Problem

Options
  • 05-06-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Ugghhhh. bought an Asus zenbook UX302LA in the states recently and am having awful problems with it constantly locking up... cant event watch a movie!

I have contacted Asus with little help from them as warranty is in country of purchase and while I work that side i'm seeing what I can do myself to resolve

I have gone into the event viewer and I see an event ID7 at same time as each lock up (bad hard drive block)

What I have done so far
    -chkdsk r
    -Norton utilities surface scan (trial version)
    -Windows restore (back to Win 8 and did the 8.1 upgrade then (took ages!)

Error still occurs and is so fustrating!

Any suggestions of any other programs I could use to possibly repair / isolate the bad block?

I'm not that computer savvy but I can so my fair share so any suggestions much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

You've done most of the software level troubleshooting to be honest. Sounds to me like a bad disk that needs replacing.

You need to get the warranty stuff sorted with Asus and have them send you a new disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,264 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

does the drive give any SMART error

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

download hirens and burn it to a disk (or bootable usb key is good too)

run the hdd tools on it.

does sound like a bad disk.

or maybe dodgy ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Overheal wrote: »
    does the drive give any SMART error

Yes, I am getting, "you have 24 Pending sectors" or something to that effect in the online scan I did.. no suggestions in the scan on how to make them "un-pending"

Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yes, I am getting, "you have 24 Pending sectors" or something to that effect in the online scan I did.. no suggestions in the scan on how to make them "un-pending"

Any suggestions?

Did it mention bad sectors after the scan? If it did the hard disk is likely bad. I'd return it and get it repaired/replaced. You should be able to get it to Asus in Europe but check with them first. You may be liable for the costs for this.

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement