Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~Why is nobody building houses in Dublin?

Options
  • 05-06-2014 11:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭

Apartments. houses. Treehouses. the Demand is there and i dont see many new developments going up. there is People screaming "TAKE MY MONEY" and every shyster, developer or builder in the country seems to be sitting on their hoop.

not only is it the perfecct time to build, you can build to order/ off the plans and be assured of a return.

Time for liam lawlor to come out of hiding. people like him get things going.

starting to see the logic of back handers and schemeing. the country is stagnating and the one area crying out for attention and money to be made is resting on its laurels.

OVERSPEND DAMN IT GOVT!!!! TO HELL WITH AUSTERITY! We can make it back in 2 years by getting the country going again. infrastructure. knocking the flats. grant planning permission for a second ikea to be built on top of glendalough. Nothing is beyond the realms of possibility if the govt put their heads together.

oh and build houses. thats the main thing to take away from this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Probably because builders can't get any credit...

but I suspect any builder in their right mind can see the holes in what is happening. There are few buyers in reality its just that there are even fewer houses and the see-saw could tilt the other way if maybe certain stock was released by NAMA lets say (apartments I suspect) or if things take another turn for the worst which is a real possibility for our economy, things are too uncertain and too many people have been badly burned not to be sure

A lot of people suspect there is too much red tape for the builders too and that suits government strategy of 'getting prices up a little more' to leave it this way.

that's me take on it anyhow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Can I juast make it absolutely crystal clear that this stock of nama houses that everyone thinks will flood the market will not happen.

Houses they do have are being drip fed onto the market and especially in dublin, even if they released 40 houses a day (which they wont), demand would still far outstrip supply and it wouldnt even make a dent in house prices.

Nama.stock. houses. no. just no.

Issue resolved. Ill hear no more of it on boards i tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

Regardless of the NAMA issue and the land they hold, the money is just not there to be made or people would making it, no?

this bottle neck could filter out very quickly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

It's only going one way in dublin. BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's also the issue that zoning in Dublin isn't for what people are buying. Dublin is zoned for high density development but people are buying houses with gardens which can't be high density. So the builders along with no access to credit have to build properties that no one wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

An architect I know says there's no credit an the banks have got way too risk averse. Says there's serious money to be made from supplying credit right now.

Advertisement