Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub to bring an Aussie tourist for lunch in Dublin

Options
  • 05-06-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I have a family visiting for the first time this weekend,
    Doing the usual stuff, but what is the best Dublin pub for lunch?
    I was thinking maybe O'Neills ?

Any thoughts?

We will be a group of 4 adults & 2 boys..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

A pub that does food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

The Woolshed. Beside Cineworld.

But real answer? Porterhouse or Black Sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

how old are the boys?
    They may like the fun of Capt. Americas, but do you specially want something Irish themed?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

O'Neills was recommended to me the other week when my Mum was visiting but I didn't think much of it.
    It was OK, just nothing special and pretty average.

There must be nicer places!

ETA: How about the Brazen Head? it's just pub grub but I remember it being nice food - it's just so typically Irish that I imagine an Aussie would love it, my American cousin and his girlfriend thought it was amazing they said it was just waht they imagined an Irish pub to be like

http://www.brazenhead.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yea, I like O'Neills

Searsons or Sinnotts either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The Porterhouse. Good food and good beer. Although an Australian probably won't appreciate good beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've moved this to the Dublin city forum as you'll most likely get more answers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

That pub at the top of Dame Street near Christchurch (FX buckley's). Name escape's me!

Larianne wrote: »
    That pub at the top of Dame Street near Christchurch (FX buckley's). Name escape's me!

Bull and Castle. Yeah amazing beer and even better food!

Not really an "Irish-ey" type of pub though. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

whiskeyman wrote: »
    how old are the boys?
    They may like the fun of Capt. Americas, but do you specially want something Irish themed?

Boys are 7 & 9 (ish)
    I do want Irish, & they do want to see the pub scene, having said that I will be bringing them for dinner & the diddely dee show in Johnny Foxes that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

If you don't mind venturing out to Stoneybatter, Mulligans. Or Kavanaghs on Dorset St. Or maybe Brazen Head?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

AsianDub wrote: »
    If you don't mind venturing out to Stoneybatter, Mulligans. Or Kavanaghs on Dorset St. Or maybe Brazen Head?
    +1 for Mulligans. Not really that far outside the main city area and the food is so much better than the likes of a carvery in O'Neill's. It's pretty Irish-y too!

Haven't been to Kavanagh's since it changed hands but if it's as good as it was under the Mulligans guys, that's another fine option.

Porterhouse might be ok too. I'm not too familiar with the food.

I don't think the Black Sheep and their sister pubs are that good for food and the atmosphere isn't really of a traditional Irish pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If the kids are bored teenagers then they will love the interior of Thunder Road Cafe in Temple Bar. Better again is that they have a deal on Living Social right now, €50 for €100 worth of food or €29 for €60 worth of food, basically half price food.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

The Church - novel concept to antipodeans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Surf and Turf in Bad Bobs.

on_my_oe wrote: »
    The Church - novel concept to antipodeans

Nice spot for food / drink all right, but I think the clientele are too up their own ar$e! A lot of 'suits'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I brought a gaggle of Americans to J.W. Sweetman's and they loved it. Especially the tasting tray of their 5 different beers plus the foods pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I brought a gaggle of Americans to J.W. Sweetman's and they loved it. Especially the tasting tray of their 5 different beers plus the foods pretty good too.

THey've really done that place up since it was Messers.
    Good food, nice and clean and good beers. good recommendation and somewhere I totally forgot about.
    Ask if you can get a table near the windows upstairs for a view* too.

*View may include junkies & scobies... :D
    See here for more.

Advertisement