Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McNally Swords CC Club League

• 05-06-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭

We haven't had one of these threads in a loooooooooooong while. Too long in fact. There used to be some great reading of about the races and rider's experiences.

I'd like to kick this one of with a big "WELL DONE" to Greenmat on his first ever road race victory last night! Held off a fellow rider in a two up sprint a good 20 seconds ahead of the bunch!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Well done Greenmat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    We haven't had one of these threads in a loooooooooooong while. Too long in fact. There used to be some great reading of about the races and rider's experiences.

I'd like to kick this one of with a big "WELL DONE" to Greenmat on his first ever road race victory last night! Held off a fellow rider in a two up sprint a good 20 seconds ahead of the bunch!

God, this is a blast from the past. When I joined Swords 2 years ago to race the league loved reading the boards.ie thread after the race with all the banter. Looking back, how good were those races before a certain bobby and FCC put a spanner in the works.

As for last night, finally had a dig that stuck, 1 Blanch Wheelie was the only one to make it with me. Have to sat we rode really well together, up and overs, tried attacking him about 2km out from finish when we knew we were going to stay away but he was too strong, managed to let him lead out to final corner on the hill finish and just gave it all to win by a wheel lenght. It was just one of those nights that I seemed to recover very quickly after every big effort so knew it was worth a bash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Delighted for you greenmat - who dares wins. Doubly glad because of all the work you have done for the club this year, particularly around the league and the youth side.

Edited to remove his real name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I went for a spin here in Beijing and pretended I was in North County Dublin/Meath doing this lge race following the wheels. The only difference was the 35deg heat and the old man on the side of the road wondering why there was a fella shouting at him to get a time gap. :D

So we're allowed talk in public about our league now? Cool :)

• Advertisement

greenmat wrote: »
    So we're allowed talk in public about our league now? Cool :)

Sure, now we are racing in Sligo, we are safe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I went for a spin here in Beijing and pretended I was in North County Dublin/Meath doing this lge race following the wheels. The only difference was the 35deg heat and the old man on the side of the road wondering why there was a fella shouting at him to get a time gap. :D

I think, you may have been out cycling with a son of mine, recently, in Beijing.

Excellent race last night, was marshalling at the top of the climb. After the final ascent, Grp 2 had swept up Grp 1 except for one lone rider who's number was nearly up as he had been out front on his own for most of the race. Scratch were only 30 secs back on the enlarged Grp 2 at this point with about 10km of rolling roads to go and I thought the catch would be made before the finish. Fair play to Greenmat and the Blanchie who went clear soon after and decided the result between them, if anything the gap to scratch went up in the final 10km not down. Good sprint finish too, balls out by both and not too much in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

First and foremost well done greenmatt well deserved ,
    I broke the unwritten rule that over 50s ride no higher than semi scratch and rode scratch (if its not a rule it should be :rolleyes:) which was a bit depleted with some of the big hiters on marshal duties
    In spite of the mix of abilities we got going at a fine rate and started to make inroads into the time gaps of the groups ahead, the group split on lap 2 and left only 5 of us with one rider choosing to ride just ahead of the group ? for most of lap 3
    On the last lap we got sight of the group ahead and with some big turns on the front we managed to make the catch with about 2km to the finish,greenmatt +1 had taken flight by that stage and we never even seen them
    For a change i timed my sprint just right and managed to hang on and score my first points of the season,well pleased
    Big thanks to every one that made it happen .
    It was nice to see Rob out last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I think, you may have been out cycling with a son of mine, recently, in Beijing.

Does he have a golfing holiday company here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

10 mile TT tonight. First time ever out on the TT bike for me today. 2nd place. Happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Does he have a golfing holiday company here?

Yes, he does.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes, he does.

I heard an interesting piece on Moncrief this afternoon about golf and China. Interesting how Mao took a stance against it and viewed it as being bourgeois and how China wants the money but not the publicity that comes with it. The country strikes me as a huge contradiction.

10 mile TT tonight. First time ever out on the TT bike for me today. 2nd place. Happy with that

Well done last night, considering your hardly on the bike at all. Some great times posted, and as for the winner, what a result.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well done last night, considering your hardly on the bike at all. Some great times posted, and as for the winner, what a result.
    Don't praise him too much greenmat - definite South Westerly tail wind that picked up when he started , and then of course it was a net downhill ....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't praise him too much greenmat - definite South Westerly tail wind that picked up when he started , and then of course it was a net downhill ....:P

I would have said it was all downhill when you let him join the club. Didnt know yis were just around the corner, I would have come out and shouted abuse cheered you on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

Missed this thread last week - finally, a place to talk about our combined club league racing exploits!

Only sorry the thread didn't exist for the first Corkagh Park race in the league :D

Well done lusk_doyle, and well done Greenmat for what looked like a storming ride the week before.

Looking forward to the Club Champs race next week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Good race last night and congrats to all who took part. A BIG thank you to all the marshals & lead car drivers for looking after us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My legs are still humming from the effort.

Thanks to all who organised and helped out.

Thanks to all who ran the show last night - great evening for a race. Well done to our new club champ who delivered the coup de grace with ease on the last lap to the two of us who were deluded enough to break away with him.

• Advertisement

Well done manwithaplan and his breakaway companion for such a valiant effort last night, and of course to the winner and new club champ for his awesome performance.

Credit to all the Blanch Wheelies guys and McN SCC club members for an excellent job marshalling.

Me: I'm off to buy a new set of tyres in time for the next race ... ;)

Next race is Corkagh Park, so Brasshead, you get a 2nd shot!

"Only sorry the thread didn't exist for the first Corkagh Park race in the league "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Great gesture by the guys in 2nd/3rd last night. Holding hands crossing the line and sharing the spots.

Still Tring to work out if the shared 2rd or 3nd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

stecleary wrote: »
    Great gesture by the guys in 2nd/3rd last night. Holding hands crossing the line and sharing the spots.

Still Tring to work out if the shared 2rd or 3nd

Is that not a post for the Party Bus thread?

stecleary wrote: »
    Great gesture by the guys in 2nd/3rd last night.

We're just taking things slow. Friendship for now, maybe more in the future.

Was it just me or did last night's race take more out of you than other weeks? Legs were in shreads today. Great night must be said, really good to see so many taking part. No surprises in the podium places, impressive riding to stay away. Now who do I pay to get out of Scratch?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Now who do I pay to get out of Scratch?
    That's what the Club Treasurer's there for ....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Was it just me or did last night's race take more out of you than other weeks? Legs were in shreads today...
    Possibly related to the weather? Cycled up to watch it and Garmin was displaying 24 degrees at 7.30pm.

Was it just me or did last night's race take more out of you than other weeks? Legs were in shreads today.

Mine are still in a heap.

• Advertisement

Well can we talk about the league this year or are we flying under the radar :)

Well can we talk about the league this year or are we flying under the radar :)

I dunno but my comment from last year above is the same for Wed night.

Don't see why not? Great start - well done to all the marshals and folks who helped out on Wed.

Roll on next Wednesday's sufferfest :eek:

Don't forget..next Tuesday evening, were meeting in Garristown and cycling the circuit. Anyone down to marshal should really come along so they are familiar with the circuit/junctions etc.

Raam wrote: »
    I dunno but my comment from last year above is the same for Wed night.

That's only cos you were beaten by your little brother!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

That's only cos you were beaten by your little brother!

Was that the brother who lost a KOM to the legendary scouser recently??

Back on track though, seriously impressed with Swords getting races back in Fingal and getting the Meath ones up and running.

Not an easy thing to do nowadays and deserves serious kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Great to see ye back racing. Is it full on racing or are ye racing under very stringent conditions?

RRs are entirely in Co Meath (as was last week's Stamullen weekend). The club is limiting numbers and using circuits where it is unlikely that large groups will form

TTs can (and on Wednesday did) take place in Fingal, 100% within the RoTR. If someone gets held up at a roundabout for example the marshal can make a note and an adjustment to time may be made

The club league was operating in very similar circumstances last year.

The club awaits further details about the suggested proposal to allow two club races in Fingal. With the recent escalation of issues in the area it's possible that may have been overtaken by events

Anyone coming along this evening to cycle the circuit? I might be a bit late (06.45)...so don't start without me! :P

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Anyone coming along this evening to cycle the circuit? I might be a bit late (06.45)...so don't start without me! :P
    I'm sure you'll hunt us down - perfect workout for you as you'll be marshalling tomorrow

Advertisement