Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you "return" a game bought via download?

Options
  • 05-06-2014 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Just curious if anyone has experience of this, If you buy a game on the PSN store and download it - can you return it for a refund?

Is there a way they can remove the game from your account or how does it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I doubt it, although I've never done it. I'd say the only thing you could is to call Sony, explain why you want to return it, assuming theres a problem or it was an illegal use of your card or account, whatever, then see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

ukoda wrote: »
    Just curious if anyone has experience of this, If you buy a game on the PSN store and download it - can you return it for a refund?

Is there a way they can remove the game from your account or how does it work?

If it was purchased by mistake or you are having persistant issues trying to install it, then you will probably be able to get a refund (at least in credit).

The same happened for me with GTAV. I bought the digital version but after downloading it three times, it kept failing at install. I called Sony and they gave me a refund straight away.

If you are just looking to sell it back, you probably won't get far. Hopefully, some sort of licence-gifting system is set up that might open up a digital used-games market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Otacon wrote: »
    If it was purchased by mistake or you are having persistant issues trying to install it, then you will probably be able to get a refund (at least in credit).

The same happened for me with GTAV. I bought the digital version but after downloading it three times, it kept failing at install. I called Sony and they gave me a refund straight away.

If you are just looking to sell it back, you probably won't get far. Hopefully, some sort of licence-gifting system is set up that might open up a digital used-games market.

thanks fopr the reply, my cheeky nephew bought it without me knowing, so its techically my fault i guess so they may not be willing to refund

I think as its technically "distance selling" it should be covered by that EU law that gives a consumer 14 days to return an item bought online

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

thanks fopr the reply, my cheeky nephew bought it without me knowing, so its techically my fault i guess so they may not be willing to refund

I think as its technically "distance selling" it should be covered by that EU law that gives a consumer 14 days to return an item bought online

No harm calling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I know that some companies will accept this sort of situation and refund once only so definitely worth calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

MS cover this happening with a so called one refund a year policy, if you have never been onto them before requesting a refund then I'd give it a go, will probably be a half hour on hold but I would say they will play ball...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only way to know is call, since it's not a technical fault I doubt it. distance selling returns are for unused or not as described products, if you've downloaded it and likely run it then that wouldn't count under this.

40 mins on hold..... gave up and emailed them! the automated response email i got said something along the lines of "we're really busy, it'll be ages before you get a reply"

will let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

40 mins on hold..... gave up and emailed them! the automated response email i got said something along the lines of "we're really busy, it'll be ages before you get a reply"

will let you know

They need a phone call for this, anything account related has to be done on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I would imagine this would apply but not sure. Citizens Info website is good for this stuff. It is possible distance selling only refers to physical products delivered via post.

• Advertisement

I would imagine this would apply but not sure. Citizens Info website is good for this stuff. It is possible distance selling only refers to physical products delivered via post.

They said no :(

They will only refund if defective or can't be installed

Interesting that the EU directive now covers digital content refunds, but only up to the point where you begin the download

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

They said no :(

They will only refund if defective or can't be installed

Interesting that the EU directive now covers digital content refunds, but only up to the point where you begin the download

That's a load of fanny, surprised at Sony - MS will always refund a customer one digital download per year, in case of little ones downloading games in error...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Yeah I heard that this week and meant to post here. Afaik with Sony PSN the download does not begin automatically after completjng the purchase. Not much use though if someone/a kid buys something on your a/c and then downloads it.

Advertisement