Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good php framework

Options
  • 05-06-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    anyone want to recommend me a php framework doing a project that has database and will probably need for encryption.

(being deliberately vague)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

sheesh wrote: »
    Hi all,
    anyone want to recommend me a php framework doing a project that has database and will probably need for encryption.

(being deliberately vague)

thanks

Do you *have* to use PHP?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Laravel is worth a look although I'd imagine any of the php frameworks would work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Do you *have* to use PHP?

its the one i am most familar with I suppose I could use C# :D

What are your objections to PHP?

sheesh wrote: »
    What are your objections to PHP?

:eek: Noooooooooo

Do you really want to go there???

Graham wrote: »
    :eek: Noooooooooo

Do you really want to go there???

:D

Just do the world a favour and use C#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A database and encryption is very vague indeed.

Laravel is a good PHP framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

Don't mind people who have issues with PHP ;)
    As others have mentioned, Laravel is a good choice. Check out Laracasts if you're interested - laracasts.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I've used CakePHP and Yii. Yii seemed pretty good. Especially with the Bootstrap plugin. You could have a decent-looking, functioning web-app up in a few hours.

Although as the others said, PHP is a load of arse and I'd avoid investing time into it if I could.

Check out Laracasts if you're interested - laracasts.com

+1 on Laracasts

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lopesc

Several people lamenting php but giving no alternatives....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

thanks everyone for the suggestions please keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Talisman

Another vote for Laravel.

If you're hosting the project on your own server and not using a shared hosting service I'd suggest checking out HHVM, it provides quite a performance increase over a regular PHP install.

lopesc wrote: »
    Several people lamenting php but giving no alternatives....

Ruby,Python,Java or C# for a start.

If you're already familiar with PHP and you have a specific project in mind stick with PHP unless you have a very good reason not to.

If you're looking to start a career in development and you'd like to broaden your range of skills, look around at other languages.

PHP has been around a long time and is used by an enormous percentage of websites. Chances are if you're trying to do something in PHP, somebody, somewhere has already done it and you'll probably find example code/tutorials etc.

giranimo wrote: »
    USE RUBY & RAILS INSTEAD
    ;P

As you don't know what it is the OP is trying to build, and you don't know the OPs background. On what basis can you say learning a new language from scratch is a better option?

Not singling you out giranmino, that question goes to everyone throwing out random languages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Since the OP doesn't know the actual name of the framework, or how to use their Caps Lock, I think their opinion can be safely discarded. :)

I don't understand the hate for PHP, has it become unfashionable? It does seem to be a fashion thing, given the lack of supporting evidence.

Graham wrote: »

you'll probably find example code/tutorials etc.

Most of which will be of appalling quality and probably subject to basic security flaws such as sql injection.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Most of which will be of appalling quality and probably subject to basic security flaws such as sql injection.

You're right, he should probably think about using a framework. Ohhh wait. :D

Advertisement