Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Irish 'secret spots' among Europe's best

Options
  • 05-06-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2014/0604/621592-secret-spots/

I lived beside the Gravediggers for 4 years, it's a nice wee pub but would it be so popular if it had been called something else and beside somewhere else. Last time I went into the lounge there was a big Deli counter in the middle of the pub. Hardly traditional.

I wonder what others think. What separates the Gravediggers from other traditional pubs in Dublin.

Two Irish 'secret spots' among Europe's best

A lesser-known detour off the Ring of Kerry and a popular Dublin pub have been included in a newly-published list of Europe’s best “secret spots”.

Lonely Plant placed Kerry’s scenic Cromane Peninsula at a distinguished number five, ahead of dream destinations ranging from Italian olive groves to Berlin’s finest bars.

The low-lying spit at the western end of Castlemaine Harbour is lauded for the “open fields giving way to spectacular water vistas and multihued sunsets” which make it one of Europe’s top 50 “undiscovered and overlooked spots”.

Cromane’s Jack’s Coastguard Restaurant, according to the popular guide book publishers, “is a local secret and justifies the trip”.

Described as an “other-worldly experience”, Kavanagh’s pub in Glasnevin, Dublin is the second of two Irish locations to feature and comes in at number 46.

Situated beside Glasnevin Cemetery, the public house is more affectionately known as The Gravediggers.

This, the list says, is “due to 19th century funeral workers stopping off here for a pint after a hard day burying people”.

Owner Eugene Kavanagh told The Irish Times: “We’re a traditional pub and we carry on as we've always done but to be successful you also have to be different – which we also are”.

Italy and the UK share the most mentions on the list, with five each, including East London venue Wilton’s Music Hall which is described as “a glorious and truly atmospheric surprise”.

Praised as “the travellers’ equivalent of a special restaurant that is your own little secret”, the Czech city of Olomouc tops the list.

As Lonely Planet describes: “The main square counts amongst the country’s most charming... The evocative central streets are dotted with beautiful churches, many of which play host to a thrilling history”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ah these lists are just a way for Lonely Planet to get free PR to sell their guides, they don't mean anything in relative terms. There's plenty of 'secret places' all over Ireland and indeed the world but Lonely Planet just name one or two in each country to make the press release as relevant to as many countries as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The gravediggers aint secret and it aint that good unless you're a tourist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bambi wrote: »
    The gravediggers aint secret and it aint that good unless you're a tourist

Ah, it's not a bad spot to sit outside on a nice summer evening . But yeah, was surprised to see it as a secret. Definitely on the tourist trail.

Agree that the lounge is a bit "off" - can't quite put finger on it but the deli counter does seem a bit unpubby

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

To be fair, Kavanagh's wasn't always on the tourist trail, and it's in a lovely location.

The option of getting your pint in a plastic glass and taking it outside when the weather's nice is a big plus, too.

Sorry to hear about the deli in the lounge bar. Haven't been there for six or seven years, but I do remember the younger Kavanagh, who had recently returned from Italy, saying that he hoped to expand the food menu.

Being a cheapskate, I've never been in the lounge bar side of the pub, so it wouldn't affect me ...

Cheers,

Ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

Porters bar in Killenagh near Gorey. The real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Academic wrote: »
    To be fair, Kavanagh's wasn't always on the tourist trail, and it's in a lovely location.

The option of getting your pint in a plastic glass and taking it outside when the weather's nice is a big plus, too.

Sorry to hear about the deli in the lounge bar. Haven't been there for six or seven years, but I do remember the younger Kavanagh, who had recently returned from Italy, saying that he hoped to expand the food menu.

Being a cheapskate, I've never been in the lounge bar side of the pub, so it wouldn't affect me ...

Cheers,

Ac

Why not let you take your glass outside like you can do in a normal pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

mal1 wrote: »
    would it be so popular if it had been called something else and beside somewhere else.

I guess those things are probably fair enough to take into consideration.

As in, if it was called the Road Diggers and was beside the M50 it wouldn't be as pleasant a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Went to the gravediggers a few months ago for the first time, very disappointed. Great location, but it's very touristy, all they're short of doing is selling leprechaun t-shirts and drawing a shamrock on top of the pints

Advertisement