Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrantuohill July 2014

Options
  • 05-06-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I wish to climb this mountain over the next few weeks.

Probably the first weekend of July 5th 6th

Any suggestions on the following:

Getting down to Kerry using public transport from dublin
    Where to stay
    and what route to take

I have climbed Croagh Patrick and Slieve Donard a good few times.

This one is a personal goal.

All comments welcome

Comments

theenergy wrote: »
    Getting down to Kerry using public transport from dublin
    Where to stay
    and what route to take

I have climbed Croagh Patrick and Slieve Donard a good few times.

Train or bus. But you will need to get a taxi out to Cronin's Yard, unless you stay somewhere out around there...in which case you'll need one from the town.

Anywhere, Killarney has hundreds of places to stay, from high end luxury hotels to basic hostels. You really would have to narrow your focus, and maybe check out some site like tripadvisor.

The standard routes for the first timer usually involve either the Devil's Ladder (which may be very eroded at the moment, I use it once in a blue moon), the Zig Zags, or maybe O'Shea's Gully or even the Bones. The thread here on Carrauntoohil or the mountainviews site may be helpful for all of these, giving you precise locations etc. If you have done Croagh Patrick and Donard, you are not a novice so you'll know the drill regarding boots, compass, whistle etc.

If you are around Killarney for a couple of days, you can also take in another easier hike like Torc or Mangerton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 murphjohn121

My sister is doing it this weekend. ill post you the details when she comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bermia

There's a walking festival on in Killarney at the end of June. I know you want to do it earlier and presumably not as a larger group but looking at the festival's website might give you some good information. I just googled killarney walking festival 2014 and found it. Can't post a link now sorry. Let me know if you can't find it and i will dig out a link later.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I was there yesterday we went up the ladder and down heavenly gates, our guide suggested o'sheas gully for the ascent but some of us didn't fancy that. Our guide felt that the zigzag was a good bit longer so we didn't do that. If I had to do it again I would probably go up thru the Gully as the ladder was difficult as it was very wet on the day. I don't do much climbing so my opinion is to be taken lightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

I'm doing this with a friend this summer, same questions, but can it all be done in the same day?

• Advertisement

Can all the routes be done in one day? If you are fit and want a long day taking in various approaches, you could head up the Eastern Reeks via Cruach Mhor, across the Big Gun, across the top of the Devils Ladder, down the Heavenly Gates, up O'Sheas Gully to Carrauntoohil and down the Devil's Ladder. Not for the unfit or unprepared, probably ambitious for the first time on the Reeks, but have done it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Can all the routes be done in one day? If you are fit and want a long day taking in various approaches, you could head up the Eastern Reeks via Cruach Mhor, across the Big Gun, across the top of the Devils Ladder, down the Heavenly Gates, up O'Sheas Gully to Carrauntoohil and down the Devil's Ladder. Not for the unfit or unprepared, probably ambitious for the first time on the Reeks, but have done it before.

Don't go down that weekend as accommodation will be impossible in killarney due to the ring if Kerry cycle. However do start from Cronins yard whatever weekend you go down, if your going on your own call into the tea rooms to say hi as they always keep track of who goes up and if they got back safe. You can even leave a bag there, and have shower/ food/ fire when you come back down, although camping up at Cronins yard is decent during the summer, they have camping pods and regular spots.

If you want to go with a group outdoor Ireland do guided, but I think it's about 60 pp. usually there is so much traffic on a weekend that if you set out around 8 there will be lots of others and the devils ladder route is pretty easy to follow. Expect it to take 6 hours, though most do it in less.

Advertisement