Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Outlook emails remotely

Options
  • 05-06-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

I have the following setup…
    My main office is at home but most days I am out of the office in clients sites etc where I have access to a PC
    My desktop PC sits in the home office with Microsoft Outlook 2007 as the email program.
    I use Google Drive to store all files – Quotations, invoices etc and can use any PC to access these so that works well.
    Problem I have is with email. I have 2 domain names, each with 2 email addresses configured. For each domain I use their standard webmail client but neither are very good. I would much rather be able to access my Outlook remotely for the following reasons
    1. I would like the ability to search back through emails remotely (webmail only holds a certain amount of data)
    2. Responding to emails via the webmail client does not look very professional and the mail is stored in the webmail client rather than in my Outlook ‘Sent Items’
    I know Office 365 will give me what I want but is there a cheaper option for a small business?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Would Thunderbird do? It's mozilla's email client.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

You could just set up the Domain Addresses Via Gmail ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

was.deevey wrote: »
    You could just set up the Domain Addresses Via Gmail ?

That's also a paid option only now.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Server offer a handful of great features that make it easy to stay connected to your mailbox.

Remote procedure call (RPC) over HTTP, a feature introduced in Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 and Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, makes it possible for you to access your mailbox by using Outlook 2003 when you're out of the office.
    Remote Mail, the collective name for several features in Outlook, can be used to check message headers and to manage e-mail without actually downloading the messages. Remote Mail is particularly useful when you're working from a slow dial-up connection because you can preview messages without downloading them.
    Microsoft Outlook Web Access (OWA) is a feature that you can use to send and receive messages, work with tasks, and manage your other mailbox items without using Outlook. This is particularly handy when you need to check your e-mail from a public computer or access your mailbox through a corporate firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Graham wrote: »

Its only about 15 cents per day for Office365 afaik ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I think thats only if gmail will be the the primary host, not if you are using IMAP or POP and just using Gmail to send / receive from your own account (using your own pre-setup email address).

The OP already has his own email hosting, so he just needs a mail client to check stuff on the road, gmail would seem to tick the boxes ?
    I have 4 domain emails set up on my account right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

JMR wrote: »
    I have the following setup…
    My main office is at home but most days I am out of the office in clients sites etc where I have access to a PC
    My desktop PC sits in the home office with Microsoft Outlook 2007 as the email program.
    I use Google Drive to store all files – Quotations, invoices etc and can use any PC to access these so that works well.
    Problem I have is with email. I have 2 domain names, each with 2 email addresses configured. For each domain I use their standard webmail client but neither are very good. I would much rather be able to access my Outlook remotely for the following reasons
    1. I would like the ability to search back through emails remotely (webmail only holds a certain amount of data)
    2. Responding to emails via the webmail client does not look very professional and the mail is stored in the webmail client rather than in my Outlook ‘Sent Items’
    I know Office 365 will give me what I want but is there a cheaper option for a small business?

If you're able to leave the PC on the whole time, you could use a remote desktop application like teamviewer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

switch to windows live mail.

Accessible from any computer you wish once you set it up on different devices

here's a good blog about it that explains all http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/windows-live-mail-versus-windows-mail

I use it on 4 devices and very very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Office 365 is basically designed for small businesses. It inherits the feature of cloud computing. It has ability to provide sustainable support for remote procedure. So, it can be opted for small global client.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Not quite the question you asked, but I needed MS Office also, so signed up for a direct debit - it's 7 euros per month.

ETA - you'd need the business one, which doesn't have a dd option and costs 269. Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Thanks for all the replies.
    Looks like MS Office 365 is the way to go

Advertisement