Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Knock Airport has been reporting thunderstorm conditions at least once every day for 4/5 days, never seen that before. Meanwhile, very hot here in Rome with a max of 34 C, dead TS cell over my head atm thats spitting rain and causing the humidity to reach uncomfortable levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Ya I live beside knock,plenty of thunderstorms here the last few days,plenty of fork lighting on the way home from work at 4 30 this eve

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Phenomenal storm just passed over Antrim. Bright forked lightning and constant booms of thunder...moving away to NE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

We have had thunder 4 days in a row I can not recall that happening before I remember 3 days back in the 90's. Today has been the best by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭spooky woo

more thunder in cavan virginia are loud rattles no lighting from what i can see heading cavan town direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

patneve2 wrote: »
    Knock Airport has been reporting thunderstorm conditions at least once every day for 4/5 days, never seen that before.

Flew in there this morning and it was absolutely lovely!

which I am glad about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It has been a good few days, we have had thunder every day since Saturday including today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Level crossing struck by lightning in Gort Co Galway, train and traffic held up

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭spooky woo

Thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Not too much action here, although a few claps of thunder from a few different cells through the afternoon.

Managed to get 9 holes in :P

• Advertisement

Cracking cell making direct impact on Athlone town. A flash every 15 seconds, I'm a bit west for the full show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Just kicked off up with me again, a rumble every 5 - 10 seconds the last 5 minutes, no flashes yet though must be behind the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Rikand wrote: »
    Cracking cell making direct impact on Athlone town. A flash every 15 seconds, I'm a bit west for the full show

Long time since I've seen so much lightening walls vibrating with thunder absolutely cracking in Athlone area.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Rikand wrote: »

Long time since I've seen so much lightening walls vibrating with thunder absolutely cracking in Athlone area.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

sky has gone black over cork airport to my sw. Hopefully it's our turn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Showers are inclining to move from a westerly direction. May be the capital might be for a lightening show later on this evening. There is a cell threatening Limerick City and my area at the moment. This cell could give off a spark or two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The Cbs that produced the storm over Cavan/Monaghan earlier was extremely impressive from a distance.
    Had a few rumbles of thunder in the distance in Meath in the early afternoon but nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aghost

cyclops999 wrote: »

I can see that from my garden. I think it's heading my way, looks massive

Took a couple of videos from that cell that was over Athlone. Screenshot from one of the videos I took on my phone

2j26vs4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Some monster CBs to my west and north, expecting something to happen soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Pic of a funnel cloud forming taken in my village (Rathcormac, Co.Cork) earlier and sent to Red FM who posted it on their FB page. Haven't seen this anywhere else and am assuming it's legit! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152118040912060&set=a.10151566681457060.1073741861.50571612059&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

That looks like being the end of any thundery days for these parts probably for the next week or so at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

That looks like being the end of any thundery days for these parts probably for the next week or so at least.

Today had pretty much everything, lots of torrential rain, spectacular could formations which then led to a great thunder storm, and finally a fantastic post sunset sky.

These 2 photos were taken 2 hours apart :cool:

14207057670_5e29405cac_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Disappointing day here as regards to thunder etc...maybe better luck next time,looking forward to a few nice days ahead,now wheres my factor 50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking back through my weather log, have recorded a fair number of days with thunder here this year so far. Not all were overhead, with some just consisting of a rumble or two, but to hear even one rumble of thunder is worth all the gold in the world (IMO) :)

Days with observed thunder heard in 2014 so far (NE Galway: Lat 53.53. Long: -8.85)

Jan 6th
    Feb 1st
    Apr 23rd
    Apr 27th
    Apr 30th
    May 20th
    Jun 7th
    Jun 8th
    Jun 9th
    Jun 10th

Days with thunder heard since in the 2nd half of 2013:

Jul 19th
    Jul 23rd
    Jul 26th
    Jul 27th
    Jul 28th
    Oct 27th
    Dec 22nd
    Dec 23rd

Adding up to make an impressive total of 18 days with thunder heard here in the last 12 months.

Still holding out for another repeat of June 1986 though. Someday... :o

310427.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This evening turned out really lovely here after all those monsoon like downpours and thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

A few images I took yesterday from a small chase around the North Coast

14207039340_5b6b599de5_b.jpg

14390264541_ee8056194d_b.jpg

10438583_1430515667211287_8250459049513305733_n.jpg

14392241492_550f2ab319_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Great reports and pics everyone ... keep 'em coming!

Apologies if this has been posted already, but Martin McKenna in Maghera has a nice report of recent storms at http://www.nightskyhunter.com -- click the "Sky Events Now" link on the left-hand side of his home page.

Scroll down Martin's sky events page and you'll see some draw-dropping photos of a waterspout over Lough Neagh on June 3rd.

Keep looking up!

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Few pics and video with few small flashes from yesterday.
    Heard plenty of thunder from lots of different cells but unfortunately most of the good stuff went either side of here.
    Here's hoping for lots more over the summer.

310525.jpg
    310526.png
    310529.png
    The cell over north Dublin yesterday afternoon was visible from here, about 50 miles away. 310527.jpg
    All followed by a nice sunset.310528.jpg

Advertisement