Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

Hi to all the usual suspects that contribute so much... and keep us all so well informed .been a lurker for few years now and have learned a lot from all of you. there does be great excitement when something unusual for us weatherwise comes round and its a pleasure to read the educated posts and witty too. I hope you don't mind if I stay lurking and learning for a while longer. M T , THANKS for giving up so much of your personal time to keep us informed its been our saviour many a time.

I hope you all get a decent light show over next few days. we have only returned from north france.. ....got a little thunder but it was like a fart in the wind. will miss the real show. murphy's law I guess. enjoy the chase.

many thanks
    elecktras weather bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

Is dublin going to miss out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Rain not too far from the extreme southwest coast now. 1-2 hours away.

12Z EURO4 shows the length of the south coast and southern counties inland getting heavy precip between around 3-6am, weakening further north.

ATD network detecting sferics quite close to the Cork coast now.

http://www.sat24.com/en/eu

Radar returns showing rainfall rates over 100 mm/h off the south coast.

EORjMdd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

:eek: My God, that looks impressive. I'm still clinging on to the slight bit of hope that Dublin will get some action over the next day or two. The sun is setting, and I reckon tomorrow will be another sunny one

Estimated at 200 mm/hr off the south coast now.

HNqcpmp.jpg

Short range model showing heaviest precip is not expected to reach the south coast until after midnight.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The lightning looks like it's getting more intense...

BsxtIsTIIAA1J3e.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The shadows cast by the lowering sun on the southern edge of that trough earlier really showed up how deep (or high) those clouds bands are.

314960.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Just having a look at sat24, the last 3 runs (23:15, 23:30 & 23:45) it seems to be heading due north rather than north west...

Maybe I'm just wrong/hopeful

http://www.sat24.com/?ir=true&co=false&ra=false&li=true

• Advertisement

Still about 3-4 hours away from the "main event" reaching the south coast if the latest run of the Met Eireann short range model is correct.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Looking a bit further ahead, Estofex has pretty much zilch for Ireland tomorrow through to Saturday morning, only a slight 15% risk area.

2014071906_201407172240_2_stormforecast.xml.png

A significant downgrade for prospects tonight from the latest run of the EURO4.
    Now showing much lighter and scattered precip overnight tonight away from the far southwest compared to earlier runs.

14071803_1718.gif
    14071806_1718.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Now showing much lighter and scattered precip overnight tonight away from the far southwest compared to earlier runs.

14071803_1718.gif
    14071806_1718.gif

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Looks about right going by the current situation. It's looking very disappointing so far. Can't see any significant action developing tonight.

A rash of little cells popped up over Cork and West Waterford in the past 15-30 minutes.

Plenty of sferics detected tonight over the southwest. Now starting to see cells approaching the southeast coast, less than an hour away.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/sf_na_1v.gif?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Looking way more promising now alright, and for the south east especially. Rosslare would be a good spot to be in for the next couple of hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 silverthorn100

Fork lightning here now in the Carrick on Suir area south tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

Very heavy rain in Kilworth cork. No thunder yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Amazing show in gorey the last hour,never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crowther15

Loads of prolonged showers and rumbles of thunder in Dublin since 6:30 this morning. Seems to have eased off now...

It looks like only a slight risk of thunder over the next couple of days, nothing noteworthy at all, but the good news is that the weather looks set to stay warm and settle down for at least a week, maybe longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

Well that's good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's all good news man :).

Estofex forecast for Saturday-Sunday. Eastern England looks interesting. Absolutely nothing for here though, not even a 15% risk area.

2014072006_201407181935_2_stormforecast.xml.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Havent been impressed with estofex' outcomes. Am ignoring it from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Havent been impressed with estofex' outcomes. Am ignoring it from now on.

Estofex are actually pretty accurate a lot of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

All parameters for England are in place for supercell storms later, the only thing to deal with Is the messy cloud cover this morning .

Can't post charts as I'm off to work shortly , shear , lapse rates and incredibly juicy air , all there!

Wish I could be at home for the day to watch the developments!

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    All parameters for England are in place for supercell storms later, the only thing to deal with Is the messy cloud cover this morning .

Can't post charts as I'm off to work shortly , shear , lapse rates and incredibly juicy air , all there!

Wish I could be at home for the day to watch the developments!

Yep looks very good on paper at least, they could see some really nice continental style storms over there later.

I wouldn't rule out a few airmass storms popping up here later, but nothing severe.

Advertisement