Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thunder and lightening in Mitchelstown currently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Nice cells on the go now

Radar
    wow_zpsef6887dc.png

Lightning
    lightning_zpsd5bdf149.png

Vis sat
    radarwx_zps47c3528c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »
    What's the chance of a storm in Galway this Evening Maq

Keep an eye on the skies and the radar, you cant predict exactly where cells pop up but the western half of the country is where it'll be happening today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Booo :-(:-( totally missing cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Lads, just saw this in ballincollig cork. Not clear but looked like potential funnel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Lads, just saw this in ballincollig cork. Not clear but looked like potential funnel?

I knew it!!!!! I saw it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Will dublin get any action later on?

Distant but regular thunder in Mallow for last 20 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    I knew it!!!!! I saw it as well

That's gas. Never saw anything like that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Fair few rumbles around Letterkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Lots of rumbling and some flashes around Lough Mask, County Mayo, for the past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

My view to the east, seems to be edging our way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

Fab thunder and lightning here in Kilworth co cork!! Lots of big rumbles, loads of rain and we just had a huge flash right diwn in front of the house that knocked out power!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Fork lightning louisburgh co. Mayo.looked at the radar walked out the door and saw it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Dark skies now approaching louisburgh with rumbles getting louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Thunderstorm is slowly approaching my area southeast of Limerick City. The lightening frequency has decreased. We have light rain and it's feeling bit cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

MENTAL in east galway for last hour. monsoon rain at first nearly an inch in half hour. constant thunder . I can't even tell which direction as it seems to be on all sides . some serious BOOMS. Lightning too but keep missing it cos its also on all sides!
    internet in and out

Nothing for the eastern half of Ireland by the looks of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Absolutely phenomenal rain here in east Galway. Recorded highest rain rate in my records. 19.6 mm in last 15 mins and rising rapidly. Unbelievable!!!!!!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Ooooh... First flash there, fork lightning across the clouds, east Limerick, looks like its coming up towards us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nothing for the eastern half of Ireland by the looks of it ?

most of Leinster should remain dry and very warm till Saturday afternoon, not much rain over the next week for these parts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

check out that the size of that thunderstorm on radar man. I think this might be a squall line or supercell and I think the possibility of a tornado is not out of the question im planning on uploading some footage later but I am waiting for something like like a mesocyclone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Absolutely phenomenal rain here in east Galway. Recorded highest rain rate in my records. 19.6 mm in last 15 mins and rising rapidly. Unbelievable!!!!!!

Im just missing it to the East.. Looks fab though..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

what part ? we had about that much an hour ago in kiltullagh. wondering is there more behind it

Absolutely phenomenal rain here in east Galway.

Phenomenal rain about 40 minutes ago in South Mayo, don't know what it recorded at, but it had to be a record or close to one.

Our power is dropping in and out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thunder rumbling & Lightning flashing in Galway city with dark skies approaching from the south east

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

check out that the size of that thunderstorm on radar man. I think this might be a squall line or supercell and I think the possibility of a tornado is not out of the question im planning on uploading some footage later but I am waiting for something like like a mesocyclone

Was just thinking something like that myself, although I am not educated on the subject. Was watching the clouds swirl around like a circular motion over my house.

We seem to be getting an exceptional amount of lightning in Galway/Mayo this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

This is insane I live in the mitchelstown area of cork and we haven't had a big thunderstorm like this in ages but then again were getting a lot more thunderstorms then usual in ages mostly its just showers with one or two rumbles of thunder each year. Ironically I just came back from dubrovnik in croatia and the past two days had a lot of lightning but not much in terms of thunder. This is straight up super cell or squall line. I wish I had a car and proper license so I can chase this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Things should generally slowly spread further westward this evening with storms continuing until around 9-10pm.

Advertisement