Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

come to dublin please.

BtUbBISCcAAy574.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    what part ? we had about that much an hour ago in kiltullagh. wondering is there more behind it

Tuam. 27.7mm so far but easing up. Big flashes of lightning and thunder continue. Dark as hell still.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunder approaching Castlebar from the South East. Still dry for the moment and very warm in calm conditions. the sky has a very dangerous look to it. Keep the posts coming people and where possible record and take photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I am amazed at the lightning record maps, but I heard nothing at all in Cork City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Aww yeah deafening peal o' thunder :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I am amazed at the lightning record maps, but I heard nothing at all in Cork City.

Cloud starting to build from the North...And it looks threatening.

Wonder if we will get anything from it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Athenry recorded 22.7mm at 5, more would have fallen after 5 o'clock too.
    Pity im not at home to see it. Nothing much here in the city but a few lightning strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thunder approaching Castlebar from the South East. Still dry for the moment and very warm in calm conditions. the sky has a very dangerous look to it. Keep the posts coming people and where possible record and take photos!

The rain has arrived, here is hoping for a few rumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

New cells popping up in west Cork.

seems to be some action now at loughrea and portumna hope this swings towards the dublin area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oh sweet baby jebus, some of those strikes and are close. Camera battery ran out and memory card full, serious panic looking for the spare battery and emptying the memory card.
    It's the storm that just keeps giving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Oh sweet baby jebus, some of those strikes and are close. Camera battery ran out and memory card full, serious panic looking for the spare battery and emptying the memory card.
    It's the storm that just keeps giving!

i can see the flashes on the horizon from your spectacular light show off to the east but still dry as a bone on this side of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That lightningmaps.org radar isn't the most accurate. Several flashes within 4km of east Galway city in the last half hour and not one showed up on the map...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

jimmynokia wrote: »
    come to dublin please.

BtUbBISCcAAy574.jpg:large
    Upper flow wont allow that.
    you will have to go to the stirms.
    That said cloud tops are building on the western side if the wicklow mtns now so something isolated might pop up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Think Cork City might be about to see some action, very dark clouds suddenly gathering

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

Electricity gone after that huge bang of thunder Awhile ago. The dog is gone mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Zzippy wrote: »
    That lightningmaps.org radar isn't the most accurate. Several flashes within 4km of east Galway city in the last half hour and not one showed up on the map...

It's not much use for Ireland because there are only a handful of stations here compared to loads in the UK and continent so the vast majority of strikes over Ireland get missed unless they are close to the east coast and within range of some of the stations in Wales and England.

Better off using the ATD network on the Met Office website, also available through Netweather, Sat24 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rain has stopped here but still threateningly dark. Still getting fairly regular bright flashes and big loud bangs. Also, steam rising off roofs, roads, paths and cars which is weird to watch. It really doesn't get more Amazonian than this.

New Moon

Zzippy wrote: »

I found that last saturday with some flashes its a hit and miss im no weather expert but have great interest in it,i just use the above and sat 24 and read what the pros have to say here.

Its a good space to have for people that have interest and you can get live reports from people on the ground,i like that..

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Rain has stopped here but still threateningly dark. Still getting fairly regular bright flashes and big loud bangs. Also, steam rising off roofs, roads, paths and cars which is weird to watch. It really doesn't get more Amazonian than this.

PICS OR GTFO :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

Gas here in Kilworth still, sun out, and the thunder still rumbling away for the last hour. And that's after we had our dose of the storm. It must be moving towards limerick I'm guessing from us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I just heard thunder in Cork City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Up by the UCC here in Cork, there's a lot of thunder rumbling but no lightning yet

EDIT: Just saw a strike of fork lightning up by the County Hall, it's pretty close

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

It's been near constant rolling thunder here in Cork the last 15 minutes, all coming from the west it seems. I've yet to see any lightning though!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

thunder getting more frequent now Cork city NW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Still no sign off lightning though. Just a lot of thunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Still no sign off lightning though. Just a lot of thunder.

fingers crossed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Some distant thunder out in Douglas, can see the storm cloud, but not much lightning (hard to see from out here anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Lots of CBs north west from me (Riverstick).. Near constant rumble.. Impressive to see..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Sum angry looking clouds around cork city at the moment.

Advertisement