Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

plenty of visible strikes around the ballincollig bypass over the last hour, cars pulled over everywhere couldnt see with the rain bucketing down... crazy!

can still hear rolling thunder every couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

finally a few rumbles south of Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

They have a warning that includes Kilkenny, the west is very dark alright, but here in eastern Kilkenny I am not sure we will get anything, wouldn't mind a drop of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Video wrote: »
    Met eireann issuing a orange warning at 6 o clock in the day.... Basically a couple of hours before the storms die out sometimes it makes me think what do they be doing in that office of theirs , a lot of us spotted the potential for this a few days ago

Maybe it's like one of those emails you write earlier on in the day, get distracted, and then only end up sending it before you log off and head home from work?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Met Eireann did mention a risk of thunderstorms today and had a yellow warming out a few hours ago.

These situations are usually a case of nowcasting anyway, you can't really fault ME for going Daily Mail style on the thunderstorm risk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Aunt reporting Lightning in Athy Co Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

IMC042 wrote: »
    plenty of visible strikes around the ballincollig bypass over the last hour, cars pulled over everywhere couldnt see with the rain bucketing down... crazy!

can still hear rolling thunder every couple of minutes.

Looking West
    vrynmc.jpg

Cell producing lightning heading for Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 30,286 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Just had some pretty heavy rain and hail in west Cork as thunderstorm past over

82unjk.jpg

See that little red dot on the radar just on the Kildare, Laois border ? I can see it but no activity as yet, looks like a big shower though,

Just maybe we might get something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

pad199207 wrote: »
    Blue skies here but can see some cb towers going up to my west here in Naas

CF945BC8C25649E9B2B28427B6707E7C-0000334566-0003614819-00800L-E2E6514CB1F44E44B79A488E264B0082.jpg
    They must be massive because I can see them from Arklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Rikand wrote: »
    Please track up to Athlone. We're desperate for a good thunderstorm up here to clear the air out!

I drove from Mullingar to Galwy earlier (4-5pmish). 27C in Athlone, sunny. By the time I got past Ballinasloe it was pretty dark and 17C. Some change in a short distance. 18C in Galway now and a lot fresher than it was in the midlands earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Can see the cell just south of portloaise from my window , amazing updraft to see it on its own from this distance ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb
    I think this might be worth watching until the sun goes down and the shadows cast by those big thunder clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Jeez I went away for an hour came back and all I'm seeing is massively decaying storms...quite a change in 1 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

they built up

and then they very rapidly faded away!

Dont think ive ever seen storms die out so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Can see the cell just south of portloaise from my window , amazing updraft to see it on its own from this distance ! :)

Got all excited there for a while watching that one head my way but then it just started to fizzle away as quickly as it formed...Your typical pulse type thunderstorm i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Could see that storm on the Kildare/Laois border build up right above me nearly. It didn't excite me as it has hid the evening sun since 7pm and will do so for the last while of sun as it is just sitting around lingering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Unreal how fast the weather changed in Galway from thunder pitch black clouds and now to beautiful blue sky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Aerohead wrote: »
    Unreal how fast the weather changed in Galway from thunder pitch black clouds and now to beautiful blue sky

Yeah, looking at the radar loop, amazing how quick those showers have died.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No shear to extend the life of the cells so once the available energy dropped the storms die pretty fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

No shear to extend the life of the cells so once the available energy dropped the storms die pretty fast.

Evelyn just said now there are still some thunderstorms around, where, there is nothing showing on the radar , I give up, thanks Maq for your very up to date info during the week and today

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

as suddenly as they appear they disappear wow that was fast RIP thunderstorms but I hear on the ukweather forums that an even bigger event might hit on the weekend, btw I think there was a funnel or tornado report in england.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Aerohead wrote: »
    Evelyn just said now there are still some thunderstorms around, where, there is nothing showing on the radar , I give up, thanks Maq for your very up to date info during the week and today

Evelyn was just trying to cover her ass for issuing a warning about 7 hours too late :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

check out that the size of that thunderstorm on radar man. I think this might be a squall line or supercell

Not so much a supercell but more a cluster of tightly packed smaller cells which collectively, created a single cirrus field above them. This sat image from earlier shows individual storms before this cirrus sheet developed fully:

315833.png

Highest rain rate here today was 286.8 mm/h, highest since I started recording back in 2008. Rain total 31.8 mm over 2 hours (much of which fell in less than a hour), which is still behind my highest hourly total of 49 mm back in June '08.

Weirdly, the skies became very threatening here between 4.30 and 5pm both yesterday and the day before but only gave couple of drops of big, blobby rain each time. Today at exactly the same time, the same threatening skies came over, but this time.. POW!! :)

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Highest rain rate here today was 286.8 mm/h

Now that would be Hurricane Charley standard :pac:

[edit: it can't really be 11 inches per hour, right...?]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There was thunder heard in East Clare 6 hours ago :

sisters Text :
    thunder on the way its far away but sound bad i hope it dont come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Video wrote: »
    Jeez I went away for an hour came back and all I'm seeing is massively decaying storms...quite a change in 1 hour
    Rikand wrote: »
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

they built up

and then they very rapidly faded away!
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah, looking at the radar loop, amazing how quick those showers have died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

I don't think the thunderstorms today if any will be as intense as there not much in terms of cape although the lift index is low so its gonna be more isolated

Advertisement