Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

My dog is hiding between my legs.. Defo thunder here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Looks very like a low topped supercell!!! 316638.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I am listening to Dublin ATC, an aer lingus flight just went around after wind shear warning on approach through weather, its back on approach now, must be bumpy up there

TedR wrote: »
    I am listening to Dublin ATC, an aer lingus flight just went around after wind shear warning on approach through weather, its back on approach now, must be bumpy up there

Yeah heard it too , decent cloud tops at the time making some strong enough outflow down to the surface.

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10544353_10152587080411718_7602970347127028878_n.jpg?oh=a63883f7c39f099ef9676d9dac7289dc&oe=54493BB8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Couple of strikes on the east coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Hail shower here in Arklow a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2014080206_201407312005_2_stormforecast.xml

Hi Res NMM showing some decent low level convergence and instability in Munster later this afternoon moving into S Leinster.

Any isolated cells that do fire will be in a favorably sheared environment of up to 20m/s . These cells could produce some intense rainfall amounts , some hail and even funnel clouds. Lightning activity would be low though.

One to keep an eye on folks... im in work 5-9 so probably miss the fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

images.aspx?jaar=-6&type=europa.precip&datum=201408020300&cultuur=en-GB&continent=europa

images.aspx?jaar=-6&type=europa.precip&datum=201408020900&cultuur=en-GB&continent=europa

Video wrote: »

Thats not convective precipitation Video . Thats the rain being produced by the low pressure crawling over us later...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

looking like no action for cork city again is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

northgirl wrote: »
    looking like no action for cork city again is it?

I see a bit of rain coming in towards the City from the West now, but it doesn't look like anything major.

Could be the start for something later though..

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Absolutely nothing going on in the past few weeks here in the South East. Havent heard a single clap of thunder, mostly the west that seems to be getting it

hairybelly wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing going on in the past few weeks here in the South East. Havent heard a single clap of thunder, mostly the west that seems to be getting it

didnt you have an MCS like 3 weeks ago overnight??

Think I heard thunder in the cell that just went over us here but the rain was so torrential i can't be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

A squally shower just past over me near Limerick City. It was threatening to spawn a tornado at one stage. I am surprised that there isn't any thunder and lightening locally and island wide.

n2z894.jpg

what type of cloud is this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mostly stratus with some stratocumulus in the background.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

Just checked the expert charts on weatheronline and looked at the GFS model of the CAPE and something might stir up for at least the south east on tuesday and lift seems to be there, but again this could change

Just checked the expert charts on weatheronline and looked at the GFS model of the CAPE and something might stir up for at least the south east on tuesday and lift seems to be there, but again this could change

Id wait for the 00z and 06z runs, find the 18 and 12z to be unreliable sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Thunder on and off here in Co Antrim for past couple of hours. Some REALLY intense downpours.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Mac_ wrote: »
    Thunder on and off here in Co Antrim for past couple of hours. Some REALLY intense downpours.
    Aye same here on east coast. Thunder rattling away. Landslide up near Carnlough, road shut off.

Any of the experts care to analyse tomorrows threat?, -6 LI and decent cape locally

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Video wrote: »
    Any of the experts care to analyse tomorrows threat?, -6 LI and decent cape locally

Heavy showers, several turning thundery. Midlands, Eastern & Northern areas most as risk. A few probably turning fairly intense. Met Office has a rain warning for NI. It looks like the heaviest showers will be south of the border though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd tend to disagree slightly. Looks like a convergence zone establishing itself just off the east coast tomorrow evening and night. Could be some torrential falls of rain in the northeast of Ulster.

Other than that later tomorrow I agree the east and midlands is most at risk at the moment.

It's one of those situations where the threat areas can be a movable feast though.

There seems to be 2 rounds of risks of thunderstorms , of which some could be intense.

1. Valid from 0000hrs to 0600hrs

Over night tonight there seems to be a small amount of unstable air passing from Cork - Louth Direction . If anything can go up it will be in a decently sheared environment to be substain itself and be heavy in places , the lack of strong instability though may not bring frequent lightning , but if the cloud tops can tap high up into colder air it could be a different story.

317165.jpg

317166.jpg

2. Valid from 1700hrs to 2200hrs

A trough will pass over the country tomorrow late afternoon bringing a fairly widespread risk of thunderstorms. Any cells that do fire will be in a locally well sheared environment to produce possibly organised cells . Some hail , CGs and funnels , perhaps a weak torando is likely.
    A notable area for the risk seems to currently lie from SW munster towards N. Leinster.

317178.jpg
    317179.jpg

Id expect a 50% risk area from estofex for most of Ireland for tomorrow.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Iancar29 wrote: »
    There seems to be 2 rounds of risks of thunderstorms , of which some could be intense.

1. Valid from 0000hrs to 0600hrs

Over night tonight there seems to be a small amount of unstable air passing from Cork - Louth Direction . If anything can go up it will be in a decently sheared environment to be substain itself and be heavy in places , the lack of strong instability though may not bring frequent lightning , but if the cloud tops can tap high up into colder air it could be a different story.

317165.jpg

317166.jpg

2. Valid from 1700hrs to 2200hrs

A trough will pass over the country tomorrow late afternoon bringing a fairly widespread risk of thunderstorms. Any cells that do fire will be in a locally well sheared environment to produce possibly organised cells . Some hail , CGs and funnels , perhaps a weak torando is likely.
    A notable area for the risk seems to currently lie from SW munster towards N. Leinster.

317178.jpg
    317179.jpg

Id expect a 50% risk area from estofex for most of Ireland for tomorrow.

:)
    Camera at the ready so.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2014080606_201408041924_2_stormforecast.xml

that came out early

• Advertisement

lol , i didnt even expect it to be out till 11pm at least , swear i didnt even look at it !

Advertisement