Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Met warning tomorrow for the North.

Some parts coast road still cut off after these landslides.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28637481

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Major downpour just now in Carlow, temp is gone up a couple of degrees also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very heavy shower here in south Dublin atm. 8.2mm so far andwith high rain rate of 69.8mm/hr. No sign of any sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest model has shifted the best instability further north. Not quite as juicy as it looked yesterday, but north midlands and northeast areas especially still look good for some thunderstorm potential today.

O46Jqjy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

My weather app is telling expect thunderstorms for cork/youghal until tomorrow. What are the chances?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like a few cells are popping in a line from south Dublin westwards to around Kinnegad, if the radar is to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some nice structured towering Cbs right to my West :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    My weather app is telling expect thunderstorms for cork/youghal until tomorrow. What are the chances?

Weather apps are usually fairly rubbish, full of generalisations taken from model ensembles or a computerised forecast from a desk at the other side of the world.

Tomorrow is actually the least likely day out of the next 4 days for thunder and with the kind of formation of storms we get forecasting a particular place, i.e. Youghal is just throwing darts at a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This will be a nowcast thing but right now it looks like the northwest and north most at risk of thunderstorms and heavy rain later this evening and overnight. Lighter showers elsewhere and could be completely dry in parts of the east and southeast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Spherics showing up in the North/ NorthWest and off the South coast, Weather coming from the Atlantic onto coastal counties could produce some activity, moderate rainfall here now in North Kerry, radar suggesting heavier stuff on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy rain has arrived in East Galway, plenty more to come by the looks of the radar. No sign of any TS activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

very heavy rain now in Galway City, no activity though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

lightning in west Cork

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sparks making their way inland a little into north Cork.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Finally a bit of action, some thunder starting to come from this..

650ti9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

monster1 wrote: »
    Finally a bit of action, some thunder starting to come from this..

650ti9.jpg

Can i ask where this is, im reading on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Can i ask where this is, im reading on a phone.

Sorry, Roscommon

a few more
    i6xaav.jpg

1zx05jn.jpg

11lh7cm.jpg

2meolef.jpg

149ccir.jpg

wind is picking up a bit now too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

monster1 wrote: »
    Sorry, Roscommon

No worries, it Looks good, i think we'll miss some of the action in the north east this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Just heard a rumble here in South Co.Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Very loud thunder just above me. Waterford City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Holy moly that was some rumble there in South Kilkenny. Went on for about 15 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Woot!!! Lightening in Waterford :-):-) & loud thunder afterwards. waitibg for more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Lashing rain now, really pouring down heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

Why do people have to be repeatably asked for their location when they post about their current weather conditions? Its so annoying.

Why do people have to be repeatably asked for their location when they post about their current weather conditions? Its so annoying.

Because some people go to the trouble of putting their location in their sig.

If is that annoying...scroll right down the page and click on 'full site'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Are west Dublin north Kildare likely to see any action?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

North Kildare possible in next hour or so. A bit of a rain shadow for Dublin so we might just miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Because of two things, one, some posters don't include it in their, and some readers are using mobile boards and the sig does not show up on that.

When we are talking about current conditions, now that's another topic as to where posts should go and in times of events getting massive, they generate their own thread for a while, in fact if an event strikes Cork, and no where else, all Cork traffic is sent to a new thread.

In reporting live, current conditions and locations are IMO, vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

Clonmel had 25mm of rain in one hour this evening between 5:30 and 6:30.

Advertisement