Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

The view is best from work... which is so conducive to actually doing any when the weather gets going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

northgirl wrote: »
    The view is best from work... which is so conducive to actually doing any when the weather gets going :)

Lol ...

Where I am I have a great view, so anything coming in from the North, or East/West gives me great coverage of it. If it comes from the South I'll see it as it moves away from Me.

Can't beat it at times.

Very heavy showers now here.

I presume there is no thunderstorm activity forecast today?

I think there is tomorrow if I'm correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Any sparks reports???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential Shower hitting Monasterevin Co Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I was expecting a nice day today, then this paid a visit, just skirted past to the East -

1XgK0atl.jpg?1

E0N7m6nl.jpg
    vbulletin1XgK0at.jpg?1

Some heavy showers again in Cork now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Got a very heavy shower near Limerick City. I am surprised that there isn't any thunder on this Island never mind locally. There is loads of thunder in Southern England and around the London area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Downpours in Arklow on and off all day.
    Currently rain rate 77mm/hr

Total for the day 7.9mm and rising rapid
    8.4 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

whitebriar wrote: »
    Downpours in Arklow on and off all day.
    Currently rain rate 77mm/hr

Total for the day 7.9mm and rising rapid
    8.4 now
    10.1mm and I think I heard a small boom of thunder there
    Still lashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Got a very heavy shower near Limerick City. I am surprised that there isn't any thunder on this Island never mind locally. There is loads of thunder in Southern England and around the London area.

We had huge rolls of thunder on Ballyhealy beach yesterday at about 3pm. Thunderous rain but no lightening. Several rumbles over the last 2 / 3 days but no actual storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Very thundery looking Here in KK.

Met.ie radar at 19.15 is showing some precip close to and east of the city and
    looks like some heavy stuff in the northwest circa Johnstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Shannon airport reported in excess of 35mm rain between 4 and 7pm this evening. Stayed dry in my home location outside Limerick City on the Tipperary side. 22.5mm was on its 1800 report.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Yeah it was one small area of heavy rain but it took at least 2 hours to move

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Warm moist airmass heading up from the south from Thursday, increasing chances of thundery activity , specifically Munster and Connaucht .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Keeping an eye on that myself. Looks like it could be interesting later in the week. I did the forecast this morning in MT's absence and made a mention of the thundery possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Warm moist airmass heading up from the south from Thursday, increasing chances of thundery activity , specifically Munster and Connaucht .

Yeah, Evelyn mentioned this on the weather after the 9 news last night :)

So glad to see this thread popping back up after a relatively lengthy hiatus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

There was some great cloud structure as i drove from Dublin to Athlone this evening. Ominous looking stuff

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some fairly heavy looking showers have developed over the Irish Sea in the last hour of two, moving towards the coast.

Looked at the radar by chance...funny how you get out of the habit! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Some fairly heavy looking showers have developed over the Irish Sea in the last hour of two, moving towards the coast.

Looked at the radar by chance...funny how you get out of the habit! :)

Very strange how these just developed out of nowhere in the Irish Sea. Thankfully it looks like they will miss us here in Waterford so our 16 day dry spell will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Heavy rain just started here in Bray. Its been so long I had to check the rumble noise was actually rain hitting the roof and not an Irish Sea earthquake :D Clicking on my raintoday bookmark just reminded me how long its been since I clicked on my raintoday bookmark! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Apart from afternoon homegrown potential here, could see some overnight storms rolling in from the Irish Sea to the southeast/east coasts Thursday/Friday.
    Welsh coast is looking unusually good for Friday afternoon too at the moment, MUCAPE up to 3,000 J/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

intense looking cell is drifting towards us,look at your radars people

Cork & Waterford peoples... tis looking good! :)

322584.png

Cork & Waterford peoples... tis looking good! :)

Wohooo! Window watching commencing :D

And for us folks in the East ... Don't get your hopes up JUST YET ... BUT

322585.png

f761b455.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Deep rumble here in west Kerry ..... Niceee

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

Hoping it gets us here in north cork? Or will it be more coastal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Some interesting developments in the south Irish Sea and in Cardigan Bay in the past half hour or so. A lot cloud building and it's building high up too. Some returns on radar appearing now as well. Wexford and Wicklow coasts could be in for something in a few hours

Advertisement