Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford and Wicklow
    Heavy, thundery showers today and tonight may lead to localised flooding. Totals of 25 mm to 35 mm are possible.

Issued:Friday 19 September 2014 10:00
    Valid:Friday 19 September 2014 10:00 to Saturday 20 September 2014 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Been chatting to a fella on the phone in Limerick and we were cut off a few times. Severe Thunder, Lightning and Downpours of rain where he is. Northside of the city

There must be some serious banter in Marseille, France.

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&subpage_3=3

It's constantly pinging down there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Its unbelievably humid down here in cork. Come on some thunder please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There has been 5or6 claps of thunder in my area near Limerick City between 9.45 and 10.45 this morning. Reckon there was lightening within a couple of miles away. Got a very brief power cut in time of a lightening strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No thunder heard here yet, but a cell is flaring up to the east...

Remarkably foggy here for the time of day... visibility down around 100m, sometimes less...

Here is a live view:

live.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very dark in Galway now, what chances of some action

Actually kind of hope that rain stays to the south of Athlone - We're meant to be having a company barbecue this evening, lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Rikand wrote: »
    Actually kind of hope that rain stays to the south of Athlone - We're meant to be having a company barbecue this evening, lol :)

Russell-Wetaskawin%20116-BBQ.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Whoever is under this cell must be drenched, stationary for hours!

drenched_zps1dcfd126.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Indeed. The midlands must be getting flooding in some parts. Here in D8, the rain has been monsoonal for almost 30 minutes now. Almost flat calm too. Looking at the radar, it is currently fairly localised over the south and west side of the city and it looks to be developing in situ although it seems to be connected with the other developing band stretching from Swords towards Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Video wrote: »
    was drifting off and heard rumbles from a distance there.. cells are very active for this time of morning

I'm living in Castletroy and woke up just in time at 5 am to get my tackies off the window ledge :)

Bsal wrote: »

drenched_zps1dcfd126.png

There should be a different colour code for over 32 mm of rainfall per hour. can be a wee bit misleading :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

YFlyer wrote: »
    I'm living in Castletroy and woke up just in time at 5 am to get my tackies off the window ledge :)
    tackies are runners. a great limerick word.

I checked the following site yesterday for the weather in Limerick. It had zero rainfall for today.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Limerick/forecasts/latest

How could it got the forecast so wrong in such a short time span?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

highdef wrote: »
    Indeed. The midlands must be getting flooding in some parts. Here in D8, the rain has been monsoonal for almost 30 minutes now. Almost flat calm too. Looking at the radar, it is currently fairly localised over the south and west side of the city and it looks to be developing in situ although it seems to be connected with the other developing band stretching from Swords towards Mullingar.
    Are you serious? Not a drop here, I've just been watering the flowers. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

YFlyer wrote: »
    I checked the following site yesterday for the weather in Limerick. It had zero rainfall for today.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Limerick/forecasts/latest

How could it got the forecast so wrong in such a short time span?

those automatic updating forecasts are never reliable, there was always going to be rain around here today, the storms this morning were a bit of a surprise tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Bsal wrote: »

drenched_zps1dcfd126.png

That'd be me... over 30mm now since 9am and it looks like another band pushing south over the coming hours, albeit much lighter! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Not even a sniff of rain here,all day just dull & overcast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Earlier today I drove from Clonsilla to Donabate via Tyrrelstown and Swords. The conditions from Clonsilla to St Margaret's were atrocious with spot flooding everywhere. From St Margaret's to Swords the rain was much lighter and it improved all the way from Swords to Donabate to the point where it was bone dry. I suppose this underscores the localised nature of the rain today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Earlier today I drove from Clonsilla to Donabate via Tyrrelstown and Swords. The conditions from Clonsilla to St Margaret's were atrocious with spot flooding everywhere. From St Margaret's to Swords the rain was much lighter and it improved all the way from Swords to Donabate to the point where it was bone dry. I suppose this underscores the localised nature of the rain today.
    I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this!
    At Dublin Airport 19mm fell in 4 hours, I'm only a few miles down the road and got about 1mm in a period of about 5-10 mins.
    A discrepancy like this over such a short distance is normally associated with a localised thunderstorm but this wasn't a thunderstorm so most unusual!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some heavy showers here in South Dublin this afternoon, dropping 6.0mm of rain. Wouldn't be surprised to see a spark or two at some stage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like rain has turned thundery? A few sferics showing up. http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Gone Very very humid here in wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Got a flash and a rumble walkinstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Heard a couple of rumbles earlier in Carlow, not sure if it was thunder or lorries.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

nmmuk-6-28-0.png?05-19

This is tomorrow what are the chances of some action?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Video wrote: »

This is tomorrow what are the chances of some action?

Low IMO , just some heavy showers , maybe the odd strike here or there.

Wednesday looks more favourable atm for some possible organised cells.
    Will look into detail on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thunder and lightning in Galway city at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thunderstorm and torrential rain now in Castlebar.

Advertisement