Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Just taking a look at the charts now it looks like winds will be swinging a bit more east in the next few hours bringing these heavy showers/thunderstorms inland in Wexford/Wicklow/Dublin overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The Irish Sea is obviously very warm for the time of year after our extended summer which is where these storms are getting their energy.
    Happy memories of the end of November 2010. :)
    edit. I think they will die out quickly if they even move in over the cold land, only 8c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

long rumbles of thunder and flashes just now wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Thought I saw a flash earlier about 6.30 or 7 in Dublin 5 but haven't seen anything since. Anyone know if there is meant to be anything this side of the city tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I thought I saw a flash too but I saw some teenagers around and presumed it was a firework

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Was in D.15 around 7pm and thought I seen a couple of flashes too

Still flashing away here, rain and thunder too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Nice fork just there, could of hit bray head or near by.. Thunder soon followed..
    Well worth hanging out the bedroom window..!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Few rumbles out to sea in Blackrock but no lightning as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nice flash just there visible from finglas towards 3 rock :)

• Advertisement

It's moving so!

Nice fork just there, could of hit bray head or near by.. Thunder soon followed..
    Well worth hanging out the bedroom window..!

It came down about a km or two out to sea straight out from the harbour about a minute before I set up my camera. I then sat there in the rain taking pictures of nothing for the next 20 minutes before giving up..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Has started lashing in Terenure

The sky is getting pretty orange here!

Impressive number of strikes nearby today (red dots are today's)
    4Lp5l32.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ahhh here, that's just teasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looking out my attic window at all the lightning over the Irish Sea last night reminded me not only of November 2010 but this amazing event in October 2003 when there was three days (Oct 21-23) of almost continuous lightning in the "warm" Irish Sea, like last night the storms died out quickly when they moved in over the cold land. Interesting to note there was a brilliant aurora only a week later so Oct '03 was a memorable month which is more than I can say about the winter of 03/04 as I can't remember a single thing about it!
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2003/brack/bracka20031022.gif

Looking out my attic window at all the lightning over the Irish Sea last night reminded me not only of November 2010 but this amazing event in October 2003 when there was three days (Oct 21-23) of almost continuous lightning in the "warm" Irish Sea, like last night the storms died out quickly when they moved in over the cold land. Interesting to note there was a brilliant aurora only a week later so Oct '03 was a memorable month which is more than I can say about the winter of 03/04 as I can't remember a single thing about it!
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2003/brack/bracka20031022.gif

I remember those storms just seemed to go on for ever, the power went on one night here making every strike seem particularly impressive. Was also notable for how much early snow it brought to higher ground.
    https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/33065-x-treme-irish-weather-october-2003/
    http://www.met.ie/climate/monthlyBulletins/oct03.pdf

Looking decent enough for thunderstorms tomorrow anywhere south of the line from Galway - Dublin .

I suspect activity will be mainly in the Irish sea in the morning , then some on land throughout the day then moving east to the Irish sea again towards evening.

The low approaching to the west of Ireland will give sufficient instability to get things going , that accompanied by some good shear profiles and lapse rates some organised cells/ squall line features are possible . Funnels are likely too !

Hopefully something decent will last into the evening hours somewhere for a lightshow for a lucky few!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

big flash and bang NW of Dunmanway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Tidal warning in place for both high tides in Cork tomorrow (Wednesday)

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,69500,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

lots of activity out in the Atlantic.

http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

What is that i see on the latest Met Eireann update!

Heavy Showers and SEVERE Thunderstorms in the west

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Heavy prolonged showers and severe thunderstorms will affect the West and Southwest this evening, becoming more widespread overnight. There'll be some localised flooding, especially in the south and west. The far Northwest should stay dry until morning. Lowest temperatures will range 3 to 8 degrees, coldest in Ulster. Southeast winds will strengthen becoming very blustery along many coastal areas.

Looks like an interesting night ahead here in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

324329.gif
    yesterdays strikes from met eireann site

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Anything for dublin overnight ppl?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Two nice rumbles of thunder in Castlebar, looks like we will be getting some more later as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

So they obviously think the low will be elevated and still keep going over cold land?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Bright flash and a good rumble here in West Kerry ..... Bring it on

• Advertisement

Severe thunderstorm off the NW coast!

324336.jpg

Advertisement