Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer/Autumn/Winter 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Lovely day in Arklow again and a nice enough mild dry evening.
    No rain today or yesterday.
    If you look at the historic radar,the east coast seems to be living a charmed life so far in terms of escaping the showers.
    The dry slot is in the same section near and up along the Irish sea coast,with the showers moving north through the sea and north well inland too.
    It's like a different world here to the rest of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

RobertKK wrote: »
    I am sure it won't be a patch on 1986. That was a proper storm.

Certainly won't be! Tomorrow looks decent for something similar to but a bit more active than today, and over different areas - but nothing very severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

New sferics from cell developing and pushing towards south Wexford coastline

• Registered Users Posts: 11 silverthorn100

Some nice thunder and lightning in the south tipperary and South Kilkenny areas.do you reckon we are in for more to ight

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Any headed for South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nothing in North Meath all day, not even a drop of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Torrential downpour in Castlebar at the moment, still holding out for some sparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some potential small cells making the way up along the east coast now. Might produce some lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

starting to rain heavy in Arklow, I wonder will we get any action

Any Co Wicklow updates would be appreciated. Possible small cell development on the coast there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

wouldn't rule out things going pop in the east in next few hours. Good pick up in intensity in recent frames.

Any Co Wicklow updates would be appreciated. Possible small cell development on the coast there.

I wonder will North Dublin get any action :P

I'm closer to the city now but still on the north side so I hope so! No strike rate yet though. Some decent echos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Nowt outside wicklow town

EDIT RAIN JUST STARTED

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crowther15

Dry in north west dublin but very mild out...

Up until around 9am CAPE is only in low hundreds and LI is barely negative so I wouldn't expect much if any electrified activity until after then.

Estofex giving us a 50% risk tomorrow, same as today but larger area.

2014061106_201406100025_2_stormforecast.xml.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Very light rain in south Dublin, mild out with some clouds coming in

small rumble there from a strike. heavy rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Rain falling heavily now with wind picking up; still no sign of lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crowther15

Light rain in north west dublin...

• Advertisement

small rumble there from a strike. heavy rain.

Weird, no sferics detected via ATD or other detector. Sure it wasnt a wheelie bin? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Weird, no sferics detected via ATD or other detector. Sure it wasnt a wheelie bin? ;)
    Its happened here a few times.

Meanwhile Arklows charmed existence continues.No rain last night and its a lovely morning,suns out.
    Third rainless day ahead?

It depends on how "off-shore" the direction of travel is for developments on the east coast.

The wind direction seems just right enough (south, southwesterly) that you could get the odd storm through the day. I think you have a decent enough chance.

I think Dublin has a good chance of storms too assuming again the wind stays off shore.

Bubbling up nicely on the south coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Torrential rain here in Cahir in the last 10 minutes, so loud on the velux that I probably wouldn't hear much thunder! Definitely some flash flooding about with this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

http://www.euclid.org/realtime.html

What's the difference between positive lightning and negative lightning as per link above?

Nothing has kicked off yet but I'm guessing it won't take too much longer as those showers build from the south. Conditions still look good for a moderate risk afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

Nothing has kicked off yet but I'm guessing it won't take too much longer as those showers build from the south. Conditions still look good for a moderate risk afternoon/evening.

Have had two torrential downpour type showers just to the north east of Cork City in the past hour. Both moved on quickly to the north but dumped enough water to leave the garden looking like a swamp in a matter of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very intense cell west of Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

whitebriar wrote: »
    Its happened here a few times.

Meanwhile Arklows charmed existence continues.No rain last night and its a lovely morning,suns out.
    Third rainless day ahead?
    there was a good drop of rain in lamberton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Ogie84 wrote: »
    Have had two torrential downpour type showers just to the north east of Cork City in the past hour. Both moved on quickly to the north but dumped enough water to leave the garden looking like a swamp in a matter of minutes.
    <1mm overnight, my garden needs rain, only 13mm at Dub Airport this month which is very little during the growing season. Not expecting anything significant today due to Wicklow rain shadow (like last night)

Advertisement