Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results time again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Why is it telling me that my "Grades are on hold"?

I'm in the "My examination results" section of SIS web. That's the correct place, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pandalaura

if u haven't paid fees you might not be able to see results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I'm doing arts and it says my stage 2 GPA is 3.68 (that's year 2 and 3). As they are the only years taken into consideration, have I gotten a 1.1? I know the results are provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pandalaura

i think you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

3.65 In my Masters.... Stinger.
    Is GPA calculated on ,
    The average of the 2 years?
    the average of the 4 Semesters?
    Or the average of all the subjects combined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I'm doing arts and it says my stage 2 GPA is 3.68 (that's year 2 and 3). As they are the only years taken into consideration, have I gotten a 1.1? I know the results are provisional.

Are all you 'award' tabs saying N/A too?! I'm assuming this is because the results are provisional?

Are all you 'award' tabs saying N/A too?! I'm assuming this is because the results are provisional?

Yes, my 'award' tabs also say N/A as well! I was panicking a bit at first but it seems to be the same for others. I think it is because the GPA is the award itself of the honours degree, though I'm not sure. Perhaps it is because it is provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

It's on the screen above your results
    Final Results will be available on SISWeb by 2pm on Thursday, 26 June 2014. These results will include final module grades, Stage GPAs and, where relevant, Award GPAs.

Maldesu wrote: »
    It's on the screen above your results

ah ok, thank you for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Pandalaura wrote: »
    if u haven't paid fees you might not be able to see results

Thanks. I think I've paid the appropriate amount now through SIS web. My results are still "on hold" however. Does anyone know how long it should take before I'll be able to access them?

I've asked the fees office through their on line facility, but I'd imagine they're pretty busy dealing with idiots like me today.

I remember I lost Library access previously but it was returned in a matter of minutes as soon as I paid my fees. I hope this is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Evil_g wrote: »
    Thanks. I think I've paid the appropriate amount now through SIS web. My results are still "on hold" however. Does anyone know how long it should take before I'll be able to access them?

I've asked the fees office through their on line facility, but I'd imagine they're pretty busy dealing with idiots like me today.

I remember I lost Library access previously but it was returned in a matter of minutes as soon as I paid my fees. I hope this is the same.

Holds are released overnight, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Your semester gpa will be available, if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

So E is a fail huh, who woulda thunk it. Does anyone know when the resit registration opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 student_

Hi All,

As you are probably aware, the provisonal results are out today. My overall GPA for 3rd year is 3.52 and my overall GPA for 4th year is 3.8. For my course i think its 50% each for both 3rd year and fourth year so if im correct my overall GPA for those two years will be 3.66. Does anyone know how I can bring my GPA to at least 3.68 which is required for a first. My GPA was lower in 3rd year because I worked a lot all through college (since first year) but I left my job just before I began fourth year.

PS Ive never failed a module ever and ive generally always maintained a strong 2.1 but im so close and does anyone know how I can bring my GPA up. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

student_ wrote: »
    Hi All,

As you are probably aware, the provisonal results are out today. My overall GPA for 3rd year is 3.52 and my overall GPA for 4th year is 3.8. For my course i think its 50% each for both 3rd year and fourth year so if im correct my overall GPA for those two years will be 3.66. Does anyone know how I can bring my GPA to at least 3.68 which is required for a first. My GPA was lower in 3rd year because I worked a lot all through college (since first year) but I left my job just before I began fourth year.

PS Ive never failed a module ever and ive generally always maintained a strong 2.1 but im so close and does anyone know how I can bring my GPA up. Thanks.

Hey do you mind me asking which degree you're doing?

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Stupid hold on my account because of unpaid fees

Contact the student union if the amount owed is less than 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

2.1 obtained :cool: let the college girls and college parties continue!
    So E is a fail huh, who woulda thunk it. Does anyone know when the resit registration opens?

:( don't tell me it was micro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Contact the student union if the amount owed is less than 600.

It isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hyde

Hi All,

Hi,

based on the details you offered up there, I'd say you probably realistically need to gain 2/3 grade steps, based on the following formula I typed into chrome searchbar:

0.5*(3.52+3.8+(2/12)*0.2) = 3.67666667
    0.5*(3.52+3.8+(3/12)*0.2) = 3.685

Assumptions:
    I assumed that a grade step was worth 0.2.
    I assumed you are in a course where you do 12 courses in a stage.

I couldn't find the section on the UCD website that talks about the rounding up point hence why I'm unsure if 2 grade steps would do it for you.

Also, some degrees have an Award GPA on 0.7 for final year and 0.3 for penultimate year so perhaps your degree is one of those?

I hope I haven't mislead you with the above information anyways.

Chet T16 wrote: »
    It isn't!

Sorry I should have said that only applies if you are progressing as an undergraduate. I.e. It can't be your final year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

2.1 obtained :cool: let the college girls and college parties continue!

:( don't tell me it was micro?

No! Microwas one of my best results, damn Spanish ruined me.

Why oh why is compensation gone :'(

No! Microwas one of my best results, damn Spanish ruined me.

Why oh why is compensation gone :'(

Electives are evil!!!

hyde wrote: »
    Hi,

based on the details you offered up there, I'd say you probably realistically need to gain 2/3 grade steps, based on the following formula I typed into chrome searchbar:

0.5*(3.52+3.8+(2/12)*0.2) = 3.67666667
    0.5*(3.52+3.8+(3/12)*0.2) = 3.685

Assumptions:
    I assumed that a grade step was worth 0.2.
    I assumed you are in a course where you do 12 courses in a stage.

I couldn't find the section on the UCD website that talks about the rounding up point hence why I'm unsure if 2 grade steps would do it for you.

Also, some degrees have an Award GPA on 0.7 for final year and 0.3 for penultimate year so perhaps your degree is one of those?

I hope I haven't mislead you with the above information anyways.

Yes I do 12 courses per year. six per semester and as far as im aware its 50% each for third year and fourth year if you don't go on erasmus. I'm in law btw.

Hey do you mind me asking which degree you're doing?

Hi I'm doing law, why?

Hi I'm doing law, why?

Because in some degrees like science they bring in an internal examiner at the end of your final year. You basically do a mini viva and if you are below a first you can be brought up depending on your performance.

Because in some degrees like science they bring in an internal examiner at the end of your final year. You basically do a mini viva and if you are below a first you can be brought up depending on your performance.

I'm not sure if they have an equivalent for law because we don't have a thesis...

I'm not sure if they have an equivalent for law because we don't have a thesis...

He/she doesn't examine on the thesis only your knowledge of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hyde

Yes I do 12 courses per year. six per semester and as far as im aware its 50% each for third year and fourth year if you don't go on erasmus. I'm in law btw.

Ah ok. Well, this thread may interest you (/showthread.php?p=75760659, I can't post URLs as a 'new user' anymore apparently so just change the URL number on current link to above number). They seem to be suggesting that you would be rounded from 3.676 -> 3.68 so that would mean you only need only two bumps in a grade to make it.

I guess your next step would be to look at the individual breakdowns for your courses online to see if you are near a grade change and perhaps look over the papers critically. Also, I'm not sure but perhaps some coursework that you handed in during term time could be reviewed?

Hopefully it works out for you anyways.

As Hyde said look over past coursework. If you have any doubts appeal it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

E-mail all your lecturers - or better still go into their office.

Do it as soon as you can.

Advertisement