Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results time again

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

No! Microwas one of my best results, damn Spanish ruined me.

Why oh why is compensation gone :'(
    Are you in first year? Anyone in higher years still has compensation I think, but yeah, if you're in first year then that's annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 student_

Alright thanks guys...also can I only appeal work from fourth year or can I appeal work from 3rd year also even though it is a bit late

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Canard wrote: »
    Are you in first year? Anyone in higher years still has compensation I think, but yeah, if you're in first year then that's annoying :(

Only modules that are Level 3 can be compensated, though that is set to shut down next year.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Only modules that are Level 3 can be compensated, though that is set to shut down next year.
    Are you sure? I know people who got Es in second year modules this year and there's a tick in the box talking about whether compensation is available or not. Maybe it's level 3 modules for people in third year, level 2 for second years etc, because I know even us second years weren't allowed to compensate level 1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

Unfortunately I am in First Year so thats a no no. I have an extortionate resit to look forward to :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Are you sure? I know people who got Es in second year modules this year and there's a tick in the box talking about whether compensation is available or not. Maybe it's level 3 modules for people in third year, level 2 for second years etc, because I know even us second years weren't allowed to compensate level 1s.

Seems I'm a year ahead of myself
    Phase 2 (from September 2014/15)
    From September 2014/15, level 2 modules registered for and taken in 2014/15 and onwards will not be eligible for compensation.
    An E grade received for any level 2 module registered for and taken in 2013/14 or earlier, that is eligible to compensate, will still be eligible to compensate this year and onwards.

Phase 3 (from September 2015/16)
    From September 2015/16, level 3 modules registered for and taken in 2015/16 and onwards will not be eligible for compensation
    An E grade received for any level 3 module registered for and taken in 2014/15 or earlier, that is eligible for compensation, will still be eligible for compensation this year and onwards.

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ck95

Hi, just a quick question relating to GPA:
    My semester 1 GPA was 3.4...no fails
    My semester 2 GPA is 2.63... 1 fail
    My GPA for the year is listed at 3.15, Should it not be a half way point between the two(3.02)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hi all,

I am doing a masters in UCD at the moment and just finished my first year. I did spectacularly bad in my undergraduate degree, so really need to get good marks in my masters. I don't really understand the gpa system. I am 3.6 gpa at the moment. What is this in terms of pass, second class, first class honours?

ck95 wrote: »
    Hi, just a quick question relating to GPA:
    My semester 1 GPA was 3.4...no fails
    My semester 2 GPA is 2.63... 1 fail
    My GPA for the year is listed at 3.15, Should it not be a half way point between the two(3.02)?
    Have a look at the page again -- what happens when you fail, I think, is that you get a GPA with the fail included in the average, but also one without. The former would be on the top part (where it has the two semesters above each other), the latter is in the long box. (Sorry if that's vague or confusing, I don't know how else to describe it :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

panda100 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am doing a masters in UCD at the moment and just finished my first year. I did spectacularly bad in my undergraduate degree, so really need to get good marks in my masters. I don't really understand the gpa system. I am 3.6 gpa at the moment. What is this in terms of pass, second class, first class honours?

3.68 is a first I think so 3.6 is a high 2.1. You're doing well keep it up.

• Advertisement

Have a look at the page again -- what happens when you fail, I think, is that you get a GPA with the fail included in the average, but also one without. The former would be on the top part (where it has the two semesters above each other), the latter is in the long box. (Sorry if that's vague or confusing, I don't know how else to describe it :pac:)

Nope..haha, in the top part it just gives the two semester GPA scores.
    The long box reads as follows

Attempted Credits, Earned Credits, Stage GPA, Award, Award Description, Award GPA
    INCOMPLETE 60 55 3.15 N/A N/A N/A

Any ideas?

Attempted Credits Earned Credits Stage GPA Award Award Description Award GPA

Any ideas?
    Ah, 3.15 must be the 55 credit GPA :) So to find out the 'real' one, I think you just have to add up the other two and divide by 2. Not sure if it changes much when you resit/pass the failed module, I'm not mathsy enough for that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Attempted Credits, Earned Credits, Stage GPA, Award, Award Description, Award GPA

Any ideas?

Your GPA is 3.02 because you have not cleared the last 5 credits.

If you got an F it'll be a bit lower.

Ah, 3.15 must be the 55 credit GPA :) So to find out the 'real' one, I think you just have to add up the other two and divide by 2. Not sure if it changes much when you resit/pass the failed module, I'm not mathsy enough for that. :D

Damn...I'd imagine after resitting the exam, the final GPA will be somewhere between the two..

Damn...I'd imagine after resitting the exam, the final GPA will be somewhere between the two..

When you pass it it'll go up to 3.05 or 3.06.

Your GPA is 3.02 because you have not cleared the last 5 credits.

If you got an F it'll be a bit lower.

Okay,thanke (I got an E), will resitting(and passing failed module) marginally increase the GPA from 3.02?
    EDIT: just saw above message...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

If there is a fee hold on your results (less than €600) can you get access to the provisional results? Or do you have to wait for the final results at the end of the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Contact the student union if the amount owed is less than 600.

Never knew this was a thing, what can the SU actually do in such a situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

I sent them a mail today, they said that access to provisional results is still blocked if you owe under €600, but you will get the final results though at the end of the month. So there is nothing they can do, other than give you the information.

Is the GPA for the year normally the average of the two? Some students are emailing me saying theirs is wildly off the average.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Well considering they represent students they should be doing something about it.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Is the GPA for the year normally the average of the two? Some students are emailing me saying theirs is wildly off the average.

Of the two semesters? Depends on how the credits are split but usually it's 30/30 so yes it should be the average of the two semesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I have 400 left to pay. UCD said they will not give me results now until the 29th June and only if my fees are paid in full. Don't finished my masters until December.

Riamfada wrote: »
    I have 400 left to pay. UCD said they will not give me results now until the 29th June and only if my fees are paid in full. Don't finished my masters until December.

Yea there was a recent vote to do that for the masters programme alright.

Advertisement