Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATHS PAPER

Options
  • 05-06-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

What is the difference between maths paper 1 and 2 and what to study for each

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

I am doing Ordinary Maths tomorrow but as far as I know:
    PAPER 1:
    - Has a lot to to with sets, Distance Speed And Time, Algebra, Working out Tax and Bills etc...
    PAPER 2:
    - Mostly has geometry, Measurements, Area And Volume etc...
    Hope I helped :)
    I'm doing my JC tomorrow for Maths too.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

Are you higher or ordinary level?

Higher level.paper1
    Number systems
    Financial Maths
    sets
    Algebra
    Functions

Paper2
    Perimeter/area and volume
    Probability
    Fundamental principle of counting
    Statistics
    Geometry
    Theorems
    Constructions
    Co ordinate geometry
    Trigonometry

Details in front of your exam papers

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭rvpalldway

higher thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmie123

What theorems/constructions are most likely to come up on paper 2? Or is it best to know them all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Emmie123 wrote: »
    What theorems/constructions are most likely to come up on paper 2? Or is it best to know them all?

Typically, the theorems they ask are theorem 14 and 19 (circle/pythagoras) though it isn't uncommon for them to ask the other three, just they are deemed as "easier" to learn, I would recommend learning all of them as you'd be kicking yourself if the ones you didn't study came up.

For constructions; the same scenario, it's best to know them all because, they really could ask any.

Last years exam sitters were lucky in the fact they asked 0 theorems and constructions. :)

Hard to know.formal proofs of theorems 4,6 9 14 and19 supposed to be known off by heart.thm 19 came up 2012 and none last year.work for the weekend as paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmie123

Liordi wrote: »
    Typically, the theorems they ask are theorem 14 and 19 (circle/pythagoras) though it isn't uncommon for them to ask the other three, just they are deemed as "easier" to learn, I would recommend learning all of them as you'd be kicking yourself if the ones you didn't study came up.

For constructions; the same scenario, it's best to know them all because, they really could ask any.

Last years exam sitters were lucky in the fact they asked 0 theorems and constructions. :)

Ah. They're most likely going to come up then if last year's didn't have them.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Emmie123 wrote: »
    Ah. They're most likely going to come up then if last year's didn't have them.. :(

That's what our teacher said. :)
    You'll be grand, anyway, just spend a couple of hours going over them on the weekend.
    Projectmaths.ie goes through them interactively if you download java & geogebra, might help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yaEHya

What do people think about the paper tomorrow feeling nervous about it

• Advertisement

Your best bet is to go over paper 1 in exam papers.just those that have been given by state exam commission or samples fromSEC. Bound to be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chloee98

I find the SEC samples a lot easier than the Educate.ie samples, hopefully tomorrow won't be too hard 😖

Ya thats what I was doing struggling with functions everything else is okayish

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Is it a new curriculum or the same as last year?

If its a new one does that mean its impossible to know the marking scheme or type of questions?

Does anyone know if there just going to be algebra on its own as there none in the 2014 sample paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

yaEHya wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there just going to be algebra on its own as there none in the 2014 sample paper?

There's usually a page with pure algebra, simplifying or factorising, know the difference of 2 squares, algebraic fractions & quadratic trinomials and all that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

I'm so nervous for maths..,

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but will the paper tomorrow be quite alike the 2014 sample paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but will the paper tomorrow be quite alike the 2014 sample paper?

I doubt it, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

ECM1234 wrote: »
    I doubt it, but you never know.

ugh, i haven't a clue what to go over tomorrow :( I'm grand for algebra but the equation of the line and just all the quadratic equations confuse me! May have to wing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

ugh, i haven't a clue what to go over tomorrow :( I'm grand for algebra but the equation of the line and just all the quadratic equations confuse me! May have to wing it

Equation of a line is in paper 2

Advertisement