Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job losses at Boston Scientific

Options
  • 05-06-2014 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Just hearing on RTE Radio 1 that Boston Scientific is to lay off 150 temporary workers.

No link yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Doesn't it happen every year at this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

They said that it would be over 18 months , does not affect fulltime people, this is nothing new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Yes it's a regular thing. When I worked there I was constantly on a three or six month contract and could be out the door anytime. They also offered redundancies in recent years. I know one guy who took redundancy a couple of years ago but is back working for them.

A lot of multinationals operate like that. Temporary or agency staff can be let go at a moments notice. Yet it's rarely reported in the news. I worked in another company and one day ten people were let go right in the middle of a shift. They were there one minute and gone the next. It was stupid and thoughtless and it meant that many of the machines had to be shut down for lack of operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ya, I have to agree with the comments above. If these are temporary workers then this isnt really news. Large manufacturing operations like Boston are constantly hiring and firing like that to match the demand on products. They could have been hired because a product was about to be launched into a new market and they needed to build up inventory once that's done there is no need for the extra staff.

Advertisement