Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on part time learning at a possible postgrad level

Options
  • 05-06-2014 4:54pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

sorry if this is a bit vague, my knowledge into this is very limited and I'm getting a bit of help through work but need to work more out myself. I currently hold a degree in engineering from DIT for nearly 10 years that I obtained but never worked with and I've been working in the IT sector for many years now. It was recently suggested that I could go back to college to study and that work would fund and I decided to go for the Computing course in NCI.

After discussing it with HR, the suggestion about why don't I go for a postgrad came up, and this is where i'm a bit lost. Is this something I could do? I don't really understand the levels i'd be looking at? Is it as easy as cert,diploma,degree,postgrad,masters? It appears some places (NUIM) do higher diplomas which are level8? is this above degree and below postgrad? I'm very confused :(

cheers for the help folks
    Splinty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I'm not entirely sure what your question is. If you already have a degree, then yes you can do a postgrad. This could either be a diploma, certificate, or masters. You will usually need to have a primary degree in a cognate discipline, although sometimes relevant industry experience will be taken into account. You can also do a conversion course (this might be the higher diploma you're talking about), which would be the same level as a degree, but requires you to have a primary degree. Your primary degree can be in a totally unrelated area. Whether or not there are part-time or evening options will depend on the course.

So it really depends on the subject area, your reasons for doing the course, and what you hope to get out of it.

Advertisement