Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Spurs 11 of the Premiership Era?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

What about Nayim in midfield or was he before Premier League time????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Glebee wrote: »
    What about Nayim in midfield or was he before Premier League time????

he played up to 1993 I think so he does qualify

scored a famous hatrick at man city in the 1/4 finals of the cup in 93

lovely footballer

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Parker, you'd need a bit more bite with all those fancy dans

I loved Parker, but Carrick was probabaly the better player
    Close call

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Lloris

Subs: vdv, Sandro, samways, woodgate, Friedal, berbatov, thudd

I'm sorry, what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I'm sorry, what now?

Surely a typo on his part, he meant Vinny Sideways :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

golfball37 wrote: »
    Says a lot that our undisputed best full backs of the whole era are Ziege and Carr, neither of which were really that good. Ziege was a class player before he came to England and Carr was solid but odinary really in world terms.

Woah.... you can say what you want about Zeige, but keep Steve Carr out of it.

He was a very good right back. Defensively very strong, as strong as G.Neville and better going forward. An absolute terrier. We were blessed to have him pull on our jersey and to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Samways was a class act, fine passer and tackler, was gutted when he went to Everton

Lloris

Carr King Sol Ziegler

Ginola Modric Sandro Bale

Berbatov Klinsmann

I would love to see Berba and Klinsmann together.

My Ziegler shout will shock a few, but he was a kid of 18 when he came to us. He needed a little bit of work on the defensive side, but he could seriously pick a pass. He might struggle if there was a bit more competition.

Woah.... you can say what you want about Zeige, but keep Steve Carr out of it.

He was a very good right back. Defensively very strong, as strong as G.Neville and better going forward. An absolute terrier. We were blessed to have him pull on our jersey and to be Irish.

I think Carr was at Spurs from 93 to 04

Broke into the 1st team in 98/99, was a class act for a coup,e of seasons, think he got in the PFA team in 99/00.

Went downhill sadly after 2000, lost form and picked up a lot of injuries.

I think Carr was at Spurs from 93 to 04

Broke into the 1st team in 98/99, was a class act for a coup,e of seasons, think he got in the PFA team in 99/00.

Went downhill sadly after 2000, lost form and picked up a lot of injuries.

I'll have to disagree there. He had a serious knee injury in 01/02, I remember Stevie Finnan had to come in and play in the Ireland team. Sending that ball over for McAteer in Lansdowne Road vs Holland.

But.... He came back from injury the next season and played two full seasons. United (then undoubtledly the best team in the world) were constantly linked with him, because Carr was consistently better than Neville.

I remember being gutted when he left and perplexed because he chose Newcastle of all places.

I had his name and number on the back of one of my Spurs jerseys. :cool:

• Advertisement

I'll have to disagree there. He had a serious knee injury in 01/02, I remember Stevie Finnan had to come in and play in the Ireland team. Sending that ball over for McAteer in Lansdowne Road vs Holland.

But.... He came back from injury the next season and played two full seasons. United (then undoubtledly the best team in the world) were constantly linked with him, because Carr was consistently better than Neville.

I remember being gutted when he left and perplexed because he chose Newcastle of all places.

Yeah he was always good going forward but it was only in his last two seasons with Spurs that he started to become a good defender. Spurs were a frustrating club to play for but what in the world possessed him to move to Newcastle. Ok, it was obviously money. He went way down in my estimation then. Didn't really stick with Ireland through thick n thin either. Injuries may have been a factor but that's the way it looked from the outside.

I agree that injuries were has main downfall, the drop in form can probably be put down to those. He missed a lot of 01/02 and I was at the 1st game of the season at Everton in 02/03 and it happened again right in front of me - you could hear the snap of his knee, it was horrible, I don't think he played again that season.

He was sensational for around 2 seasons, shame it didn't last longer

Samways was very underrated player.
    Very tidy footballer and a great servant to Spurs.

His run that took Steve Bould out of the picture and give Lineker a run on goal for our 3rd goal in THAT semi in 1991 was absolute class.

Scored a massive goal v the scum in Oct 89 which was our first win over them in a few years. Happy memories :)

He went onto Spain after Everton and became known as a bit of a hatchet-man. I hear he owns a pub out there somewhere (Majorca/Ibiza)

Samways was very underrated player.
    Very tidy footballer and a great servant to Spurs.

His run that took Steve Bould out of the picture and give Lineker a run on goal for our 3rd goal in THAT semi in 1991 was absolute class.

Scored a massive goal v the scum in Oct 89 which was our first win over them in a few years. Happy memories :)

He went onto Spain after Everton and became known as a bit of a hatchet-man. I hear he owns a pub out there somewhere (Majorca/Ibiza)

Yeah a friend of mine drank with him in his pub and got a signed picture for me, but then lost it :(

Agree with the comment about Carr been an okay defender who then came good and had 2 excellent seasons. PFA team of the year and heavily linked with United a lot. At the time Newcastle where a top team but it was a bit of a sad day when he chose to leave us for them.

Then he went to Newcastle and became a bit of a bruiser. He was a real niggling defender on Tyne-side, maybe he got a few tips from Justin Edinburgh before he left WHL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Lloris

Carr
    Campbell
    King
    Vertonghen

Bale
    Modric
    Carrick
    Ginola

Berbatov
    Klinsmann

Went for Vertz at LB because Ziege was always a liability as a proper LB. Hard to leave out VDV but couldn't shoehorn him in. Only other decision was the strikers, with Sheringham the unluckiest to miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have said it before but my first game at the lane was Carrs cracker against united. Loved him from that moment.

I also like old Tarricco when he was with us. I must see can I make a team of players who I would pick solely on sentiment and how much I loved them.I'd say it'd be shocking.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Lloris

Carr
    Campbell
    King
    Vertonghen

Bale
    Modric
    Carrick
    Ginola

Berbatov
    Klinsmann

Went for Vertz at LB because Ziege was always a liability as a proper LB. Hard to leave out VDV but couldn't shoehorn him in. Only other decision was the strikers, with Sheringham the unluckiest to miss out.

Vertonghen is actually a good call

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ormus wrote: »
    Vertonghen is actually a good call

If this thread was done a year ago he would be CB in plenty of teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Lloris

Carr
    King
    Sol
    BAE

Anderton
    Rafa
    Modric
    Bale

Teddy
    Klinsmann

• Advertisement

Woodgate wrote: »
    Lloris

Carr
    King
    Sol
    BAE

Anderton
    Rafa
    Modric
    Bale

Teddy
    Klinsmann

No Woodgate, Woodgate?

Lloris

Carr
    King
    Campbell
    Wilson

Bale
    David's
    Popescu
    Ginola

Sheringham
    Klinsmann

Robinson
    Howells
    Anderton
    Modric
    Berba
    Ziege

Lloris

Carr
    King
    Campbell
    Wilson

Bale
    David's
    Popescu
    Ginola

Sheringham
    Klinsmann

Robinson
    Howells
    Anderton
    Modric
    Berba
    Ziege

Crackin team. No Modric is a shock but ok if you're picking Davids and Popescu for their careers over their Spurs performance.

But then how do you pick Wilson over Ziege?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Lloris

Carr
    King
    Campbell
    Wilson

Bale
    David's
    Popescu
    Ginola

Sheringham
    Klinsmann

Robinson
    Howells
    Anderton
    Modric
    Berba
    Ziege

No Robbie :eek:

LOL

Ormus wrote: »
    Crackin team. No Modric is a shock but ok if you're picking Davids and Popescu for their careers over their Spurs performance.

But then how do you pick Wilson over Ziege?!!

Just threw Wilson in there as an alternative... hard to think of anyone else after Ziege which is a pretty poor showing for 20 odds years. Same could be said of the right FB position.

Thought about Bale at LB. But after Anderton couldn't think of a decent right winger ... Lennon, Davies, Fox, Dominquez (Jayzus)

Just threw Wilson in there as an alternative... hard to think of anyone else after Ziege which is a pretty poor showing for 20 odds years. Same could be said of the right FB position.

Thought about Bale at LB. But after Anderton couldn't think of a decent right winger ... Lennon, Davies, Fox, Dominquez (Jayzus)

Anderton was a jewel. I think he coulda been world class with less injuries.

Advertisement