Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old windows xp pc limited connectivity no internet

Options
  • 05-06-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

My brother has an old pc with windows xp and I cant get the internet to work on it. I hooked it up to my belkin adsl modem router and I get the yellow warning sign and limited connectivity. I cant even access the router page with it. My own pc and phone works petfect with the same router so there is some problem with my brothers pc. I dont know whats wrong with it. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Could be the adapters settings? When it's connected, right click on the adapter and select properties. Check the IP, should be set to 'automatic detection'.

Check the following link on how to check the settings.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/devmgr_changing_netadapter_settings.mspx?mfr=true

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

^^^good call

I would say reinstall the Network driver first.

find make and model and go to the website. (if dell....dell.com if hp....hp.com etc.)
    drivers will be listed under the support section.

never rule out the possibility of malware or virus causing the issue. anti- scans would be good to do if above doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Its an old Dell pc.
    There's no way of connecting to the internet with it so I won't be able to go to the Dell website to get a new network driver.
    It has no cd drive in it either.
    I'm afraid if I uninstalled the network driver I'd be left with no network driver and no way of getting a new network driver.
    The ip was set to automatic detection, I already checked that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Its an old Dell pc.
    There's no way of connecting to the internet with it so I won't be able to go to the Dell website to get a new network driver.
    It has no cd drive in it either.
    I'm afraid if I uninstalled the network driver I'd be left with no network driver and no way of getting a new network driver.
    The ip was set to automatic detection, I already checked that.

Well...you didn't mention it in your initial post! :rolleyes:

If you wanted to update the driver you can check in Hardware Properties. Look for the VEN and DEV numbers and put them in to this site:

http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Download the corresponding driver(s), copy to usb and try to install from that.

Another thing to try is burning a live cd of Ubuntu.

You can create a bootable usb stick (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows).

If that has issues connecting it could mean a hardware problem.

Advertisement