Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

..somebody please just kill me now..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Microphone Head

Compared to the papers in the edco papers that was a hard exam

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

aleatorio wrote: »
    Omg I was the same! So I just subtracted the other two eqns from the total and wrote it beside it with some bull****ted workings to make it look like I had a method :pac:

Haha thats exactly what I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

*exhales heavily*
    Well, that actually went okay, I think?

As in, I'm moving my cautious hopes from 'lets hope I pass' to 'I might just get a C'

Just me, or was there an unreal amount of integration and differentiation?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

At this point I'm just hoping I can somehow pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Think my average value was 12 :pac:

Oh well, attempt marks :D

Aspiring wrote: »

Living off them at the moment. They're my only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Mine was 3 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Shane15 wrote: »
    At this point I'm just hoping I can somehow pass.

For me to pass, I need to get 80% in paper 2......paper 1 just went completely out the window for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

Oh ya does anybody know what A was equal to in the question about boiling water?

I got 80.33?
    But first I got it in terms of k, and then when I found out k, I went back and worked it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

Mine was 1 which looked quite miserable.. Oh God, attempt marks indeed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I thought it was pretty hard really. I did well enough overall but I had to think about almost every question before getting an answer. Even then I think I got a bunch of them wrong.

For the sequence with lna^n, were the first two parts not asking the exact same thing? What did you guys do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Ompala wrote: »
    I'll see you there, I'm gonna be very rusty for it though :pac:

Could you, by any chance, be alluding to my Chem fail? :p

I own AM. Like, literally, it is in my possession. So, shouldn't have much trouble. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Thought the long questions were easier than the short questions

Agreed. Q6 with the Tn ****ed me up big style

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

Was A 100? As in that was the temperature of the water initially and then it decreased after it multiplied into the exponential equation with the negative k value in the power?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Mine was 3 :P

I got 3 as well! I was sure it was right having just learned it recently but there doesn't seem to be much agreement! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

robman60 wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty hard really. I did well enough overall but I had to think about almost every question before getting an answer. Even then I think I got a bunch of them wrong.

For the sequence with lna^n, were the first two parts not asking the exact same thing? What did you guys do?
    I did the exact same thing, as they were both part of part a im assuming for (i) all they wanted you to do was write t1, t2 and t3.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Microphone Head

Was A 100? As in that was the temperature of the water initially and then it decreased after it multiplied into the exponential equation with the negative k value in the power?

It was 77 y was the difference in temperature between the boiling water and room temp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Yeah, for the first part I just showed it was a series like visually, but then in the second part I did T2-T1 and T3-T2 to show it was a constant :P

The last part of that question was hard though, I made it as far as getting that 100d was equal to S20 and it was downhill from there XD

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

what did you guys get for the equation of the even( or odd) numbers ? It was part 3 is some question, I think q3, under the induction one..

I just said n(n+1)/2 - n^2+n, and got something that is completely wrong.. will they accept just 2n-1 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Sweet mother divine that was a beautiful paper holy crap <3
    Everything I loved came up, with the exception of Q3 induction, which I knew the first part for and had a vague idea of the other two parts XD

Few things to run by ye:

a in the log arithmetic sequence was e^2 or 7.4

Average value was -8
    Yes, and yeah, I got 8, same thing like.

Area under the bridge thingy was 239? (Very iffy about that one)

And for the last q on why the value will always increase, was it because e^kt has no limit? :o

It couldn't be 239: 5x48 is 240, it had to be a fair bit less than that if you think about it.

I got 194, others got like 193.

As for the constant increase, I got the second derivative and said it was always positive. Let the corrector be generous please :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

Mine was 1 which looked quite miserable.. Oh God, attempt marks indeed!!
    I got 1 too you are not alone.

Overall I feel quite good about the paper, I tried everything and got answers out for most of them. I wish there was an extra 30 mins or so, though.

I got 3 as well! I was sure it was right having just learned it recently but there doesn't seem to be much agreement! :p

Well I can kind of remember getting [9-9-24] when I subbed in the x value during integration, and then it was 1/3 times that so that's how I got -8 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I did the exact same thing, as they were both part of part a im assuming for (i) all they wanted you to do was write t1, t2 and t3.

Thank god im not alone!
    I answered the first part and then read the second part and realised I had already answered it!
    fairly badly worded :P

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Odrevan

eefah wrote: »
    I got 80.33?
    But first I got it in terms of k, and then when I found out k, I went back and worked it out.

It took me about 5 minutes alone, but A was 77 because the t value is 0 at that time which got rid ok the k which meant that A was just 77!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

kerryked wrote: »
    I got 77? Same as y?

Yes! I was fully sure I was after making a mistake getting 77

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    what did you guys get for the equation of the even( or odd) numbers ? It was part 3 is some question, I think q3, under the induction one..

I just said n(n+1)/2 - n^2+n, and got something that is completely wrong.. will they accept just 2n-1 ?

I knew n^2 was the sum of the odd numbers but kind of waffled a proof cos I wasn't sure WHY XD

Yes! I was fully sure I was after making a mistake getting 77

LOL I actually got something right in that paper?! I'm shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

NO FINANCIAL MATHS, PRAISE JESUS

• Advertisement

Lara_15 wrote: »
    NO FINANCIAL MATHS, PRAISE JESUS

Quite the opposite for me. :mad: Can financial maths come up in paper 2? I knew it so well.

Advertisement