Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate: Higher Level Maths Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Yes, and yeah, I got 8, same thing like.

It couldn't be 239: 5x48 is 240, it had to be a fair bit less than that if you think about it.

I got 194, others got like 193.

As for the constant increase, I got the second derivative and said it was always positive. Let the corrector be generous please :pac:

Yeah I noticed that in the exam but no matter how many times I did it I still got the same :( frustration of the worst kind :pac:
    Ah well, my method was right :o

Ooo second derivative.. I didn't think of that :pac:

Just to be sure, the derivative was Ake^kt yeah? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Lara_15 wrote: »
    NO FINANCIAL MATHS, PRAISE JESUS

and ofcourse, the smart**s in me, actually studied JUST financial maths for the last 1 hour before the exam. **** me..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 teenieox

was it just me or was maths HL p1 SOOOO difficult?
    NO financial maths
    NO de moivre's theorem
    NO bijective / surjective
    NO inequalities

WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

teenieox wrote: »

I hated it too, the girl beside me was crying throughout. I hated it. Was devastated that there was no financial maths, I'm living off attempt marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

aleatorio wrote: »
    I knew n^2 was the sum of the odd numbers but kind of waffled a proof cos I wasn't sure WHY XD

Hahah me too!

I said it was n^2 but couldn't really show it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

FINANCIAL CAN'T BE ON PAPER 2 RIGHT?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

Odrevan wrote: »
    It took me about 5 minutes alone, but A was 77 because the t value is 0 at that time which got rid ok the k which meant that A was just 77!

argh, I dont know how I missed that.
    I know some part of me was thinking that it couldn't be the same as y, but if it was literally a matter of k=0 Idk how i missed it....

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

NO financial maths
    NO de moivre's theorem
    NO bijective / surjective
    NO inequalities

WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL

You're naming the stuff I actually knew... :( I hated that paper sooo much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The brother came home with it there and he's delighted.

After a 5 minute look maths really has taken some tumble from grace since the new syllabus came in. Tidy paper, nothing truly vexing but I suppose it was a bit heavier on some topics than others. Not the fairest of papers but an easy A for the grafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 millypop

Thank God someone else did!!!!!!......Everyone like "it was grand"!!!!!......I was like no....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 2014lchelp

Anyone else as traumatized as I am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Leaving Cert: Maths paper 'could have been far worse' | Irish Independent

"The first of the Leaving Certificate Maths higher level papers was "not without its difficulties, but it could have been far worse", said Aidan Roantree, Senior Maths teacher at The Institute of Education, Dublin.

"Naturally as you would expect on a higher level paper there were a few tricky parts", he said.

The final elements of the new, phased-in Project Maths syllabus to be examined were covered in Paper 1 and Mr Roantree said that now that all changes had been incorporated "many of the fears of students across the country will have been allayed. Overall student fears about the style of the new Calculus questions proved to be unfounded, as these questions were for the most part accessible and fair."

Mr Roantree said, in contrast, a feature of the paper was the absence of any difficult Differentiation, a significant part of the syllabus and one which would have taken a lot of class time.

In Section A, he said Q 1 on Graphs was "very manageable" and while the final part of Q 2 on Complex numbers might have appeared unusual, if students applied methods from Trigonometry or Coordinate Geometry they would have found it quite manageable. Bar this, there was no other question in Section A that would have caused a surprise."

He said Section B, which contains application questions that cannot be predicted, had a surprising number of accessible parts, with only a couple that may have proved challenging to some students.

But he said a major surprise was the absence of a question on Financial Maths, although this was partly made up for by a question on Exponential Decay, a related idea.
    "

I had to correct several typos :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

I knew n^2 was the sum of the odd numbers but kind of waffled a proof cos I wasn't sure WHY XD
    Had no clue ended up with n^2 +n -1
    Living for attempt marks on that bit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

A tricky enough paper I thought. A lot of the same stuff like! Surprised there was no logs, inequalities and financial maths. And of course I completely forgot how to do induction! Dreams of the A are long gone but hopefully Paper 2 will bring me up somewhat :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So much sequences and calculus!

I spent a lot of time on financial maths because we didn't cover it in class and :(

What did yous get for k in the last question?

There goes my A
    Area under the bridge thingy was 239? (Very iffy about that one)

You sure?

I think I got like 190 or something.

The total area of the arc was 239ish though?
    robman60 wrote: »
    For the sequence with lna^n, were the first two parts not asking the exact same thing? What did you guys do?

I copied the exact same thing I did in part i :P What was all that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Solid_Shepard

EDIT: Now that the questions are up I'll just fill them out properly

Ahhhhh how many marks will I loose for forgetting the +c in 5a???? So fooking annoyed, I loved that q so I sped through it :/:/:/

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

Did anyone else run out of time, btw?

I was talking to a few people and one girl got it done with 10 minutes to spare, but most of us were writing right up til the last.
    That's all just people from my class, though, so like, biased sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Odrevan

eefah wrote: »
    argh, I dont know how I missed that.
    I know some part of me was thinking that it couldn't be the same as y, but if it was literally a matter of k=0 Idk how i missed it....

Trust me, you probably wont be alone, the fact that t was the time after it boiled and that in the first party they say just after it boiled wont have clicked for a lot of people, i know it took me far longer than it should have!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishRebels

Ya it was horrible!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tianna

It took my brain so long to figure out that y and A were 77 didn't think they would have been the exact same :p

eefah wrote: »
    Did anyone else run out of time, btw?

I was talking to a few people and one girl got it done with 10 minutes to spare, but most of us were writing right up til the last.
    That's all just people from my class, though, so like, biased sample.

Yes. I honestly think had I had another 10 minutes I would have picked up at least another 10-15 marks.i left a few bits half finished but attempted everything but knew I had to keep moving on!! Makes me laugh , the idea behind project maths is to get us thinking, its near impossible in that time-frame.

When will the paper go up online, they'd hardly make us wait til monday til paper 2 is over would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

tianna wrote: »
    It took my brain so long to figure out that y and A were 77 didn't think they would have been the exact same :p

Y was only 77 for the first part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Did many other people cop that the second last part of 8 with the parabola was completing the square?
    Quite proud of myself for working that one out, was very satisfying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

Yes. I honestly think had I had another 10 minutes I would have picked up at least another 10-15 marks.i left a few bits half finished but attempted everything but knew I had to keep moving on!! Makes me laugh , the idea behind project maths is to get us thinking, its near impossible in that time-frame.

When will the paper go up online, they'd hardly make us wait til monday til paper 2 is over would they?

Did they do the same for English paper one?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Did many other people cop that the second last part of 8 with the parabola was completing the square?

Yeahhh

But I didn't get time to do it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Ya, I did. I think I made a bit of a mess of it though. Was the very last part -2(x-3)^2 +4?

I hadn't done it in a while but I recognised that.

romanita wrote: »
    Did they do the same for English paper one?

I don't know!

completing the square:Yes I copped that but still couldn't do it :/:/ too tight for time so decided to cut my losses :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭LaughingOwl

I did and I was so happy I looked over it this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

It was fairly obvious that it was, the tricky part was the 'y-k' part I think! It was a difficult example of completing the square alright.

The moment when I realised that k = min value of f(x) and h=x at maximum point was glorious though. Made the very last part so simple. But sort of unfair that you essentially can't do the final part if you haven't got the second last part (it was hence or otherwise, but it would have been difficult to do otherwise!).

Advertisement